Apex Legends | Official Thread of Remembering the Titans

Commissar SFLUFAN

Critical acclaim doesn't help a franchise out when nobody buys your games.  Maybe Apex will revitalize interest in the world/property?

I'm watching streamers play Apex right now.  I'm slightly bummed that it's squad-based only.  I don't like being forced to squad with randos online.

1 hour ago, Slug said:

Critical acclaim doesn't help a franchise out when nobody buys your games.  Maybe Apex will revitalize interest in the world/property?

I'm watching streamers play Apex right now.  I'm slightly bummed that it's squad-based only.  I don't like being forced to squad with randos online.

Was kinda thinking the same thing. Give it time though. I'd also really just like a team deathmatch. Sometimes I don't want the tension and resourcefullness required to win at BR. Most of the time I just want to run around and shoot at people and not care if I die 100 times. Everything is class-based or BR nowadays. Paladins, Overwatch, Rainbow Six Siege, etc. The closest we have on console to just a plain ol' team deathmatch is CoD, and I refuse to buy anymore of those.

7 minutes ago, SFLUFAN said:

Well, EA's already set the precedent for Titanfall marketing. Can't really blame the producer for not giving them the chance to murder their game before it's even out. I agree with him. The unexpected launch gets players in and playing without any pre-conceived expectations. I kinda wish more developers/publishers would do it more often. 

I kinda hate battle royale games and this one didn't change my mind.

I tried it out on PS4 about an hour ago because it's set in the Titanfall universe and I was curious that maybe the gameplay would overshadow the dull BR formula. I will say it runs really good, 60fps, good graphics and gunplay and all that. But this is far removed from any Titanfall experience. Aside from no Titans to speak of, there's also no pilot machanics we're used to either. No wall running, no jump sliding and no double jumping. Someone put it best stating something like if you ever wondered what it was like playing as a Grunt instead of a badass Pilot w/Titan then this is the game for you. All it has going for it are the quirky "hero" characters you can choose to play as akin to something like Overwatch. They all have their specific special abilites though so I guess that's new and there's the posibility to respawn dead teamates and call out locations/items. Only one game mode right now but it is stupid that it's 3-man squad only. 

I may try it again some time but make no mistake, this is another Battle Royale game with tons of cosmetics to unlock or buy and loot boxes for a dollar each. At least there's no pay to win nonsense and Fortnite building. Sad that TF3 was scrapped for this but that's EA for you. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Slug said:

Squad based only? Might be a pass for me. I prefer to play BR games solo like a G.

20 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Squad based only? Might be a pass for me. I prefer to play BR games solo like a G.

It's free so it doesn't hurt downloading. I'm gonna give it a go and I know I don't like battle Royale games but because it's Respawn I'll give the game a try. 

Watching the Giant Bomb Quick Look ATM

1 hour ago, skillzdadirecta said:

You can play it solo. Your random squad may not like you or may follow you but you can play however you want to when you really get down to it. You can even choose to drop solo or stay with the squad while freefalling. 

It's a weird game. I keep playing and I don't know why. I've played about 6 or 7 matches and haven't killed anyone and I'm level 5. I have shot players but they don't die. I've revived someone as the healer character(they heal 25% faster with an oversheild and drop a healing drone) but never got the trophy for it. I just want to get one kill damn it. 

10 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

Installed it.

Did the training.

No wallrunning, double jumps, sliding or anything that makes Titanfall gameplay interesting.

Uninstalled before playing a single match.

Fucking idiots.

The Titans is what made the Titanfall gameplay stand apart :p

Titanfall 3 is still scheduled to come out. I think I prefer that they made this its own game instead of shoe horning the mode in like Blops did or BFV was gonna do until they pushed it back. I'm willing to give this a try as I like the quad aspect of it and the fact that you can Respawn team mates back in the match. Also it's free to play. They aren't charging for it like Blops is or BFV is. I haven't played the mode yet but the Quicklook has me wanting to try it.

Just now, The def star said:

I don't think this is an official Titanfall game. The Titans is what made the Titanfall gameplay stand apart :p

The Titans are what made it stand out on a superficial level, the advanced pilot mechanics are what made it actually playable in the long-term, because there was depth there. There was very little depth to the Titans.

Now there's no Titans and no pilot mechanics. It's a neutered product. Yeah, I know it's not an official Titanfall game, but why make it less interesting?

33 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

Installed it.

Did the training.

No wallrunning, double jumps, sliding or anything that makes Titanfall gameplay interesting.

Uninstalled before playing a single match.

Fucking idiots.

Seems like there really isn't too much of a reason to have it be set within the Titanfall universe. Maybe it's best to think of it as it's own thing, really. 

22 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

The Titans are what made it stand out on a superficial level, the advanced pilot mechanics are what made it actually playable in the long-term, because there was depth there. There was very little depth to the Titans.

Now there's no Titans and no pilot mechanics. It's a neutered product. Yeah, I know it's not an official Titanfall game, but why make it less interesting?

Maybe to better differentiate from the official Titanfall 3 release. I can see that they would rather have this be a stand alone prodcut that will try to take away the least amount of sales from the full release in the series. 

The gunplay feels great so that's already a + for compared to Blackout.

1 minute ago, Brick said:

Seems like there really isn't too much of a reason to have it be set within the Titanfall universe. Maybe it's best to think of it as it's own thing, really. 

It's hard to think of it as its own thing when they kind of just... turned it into Blackout, I guess? It's just CoD heroes now, without the stuff I cared about from Titanfall. They don't have to keep making Titanfall over and over, but it feels and plays too similar, it just feels like a huge part of the game is missing and I'm supposed to go "herpa derp well it's a BR" when it being a BR is exactly where those unique elements would've made it special!

3 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

It's hard to think of it as its own thing when they kind of just... turned it into Blackout, I guess? It's just CoD heroes now, without the stuff I cared about from Titanfall. They don't have to keep making Titanfall over and over, but it feels and plays too similar, it just feels like a huge part of the game is missing and I'm supposed to go "herpa derp well it's a BR" when it being a BR is exactly where those unique elements would've made it special!

Maybe Titanfall 3 will have its own BR mode with Pilots and Titans.

One very nice thing about this game is the ping system. Just press R1 on a location and the game tells your squad you suggest to go there. You can also press it on enemies to spot them or gear to tell your team the may want that weapon. It sure beats having to pause to type out text, though you can also do that too.  I guess I'm kinda warming up to it, probably because of being on a squad. It's nice to have team members revive or resurrect you when you suck. And I do. 

Well i guess we are officially in the age of BR games. This will be one of dozens that come out over the next few years. Until of course the market is completely saturated and beat to death and the community is begging for them to stop. And so forth and so on.....

I think this game is going to be a hit. It feels great to play, it's fun to watch, and the silliness of the characters is good enough to sell endless skins while also serious enough to be in an fps like this. I really enjoy the game, but it's a no go without a squad. I'll definitely be back for the inevitable solo game mode. 

That said, this game in exchange for titanfall 3 is a travesty. Fuck EA. 

I loved my time with it.  When you’re squad wins, the next round has you’re squad plastered all over the banners around the map.  The announcers calling out Kill Leaders being killed is cool too.  Feels very Hunger Ganes like.  I didn’t play for too long but got an 8 kill win!

Downloaded and played this as soon as I got home from work yesterday. I like Xbob was disappointed that Titanfall features are integrated into this game, but that didn't really stop me from playing it.

Gunplay is fantastic, I have to say that it beats out any BR game thus far in that aspect. The map is okay, no BR map has every really surprised me in that it just felt like a fantastic map. It's definitely not a bad map (coughMiramarcough). Gun placement, however, is abysmal. We jumped into a hot zone and only I found a weapon out of my team. I actually matched with Hysteria (smaller streamer, know him from his Halo days) and he went through 2-3 buildings and couldn't find a gun while our teammate and I died. A couple of other times we'd drop and clean out an area it would be rare that one of us would even have anything besides a pistol/shotgun. Sights are also rare, but I kind of like that.

I'm not sold on the classes/hero's thing, they bring a different element to the game. I'm just not sure that I like it, a meta will surely evolve and then everyone will be playing 3-4 character repetitively. Considering this is a standalone title, there is a good chance that balance patches will be frequent so hopefully it keeps the meta from getting stale. I haven't really played around with a ton of characters though, I've only played with Wraith and Bloodhound. Lifeline and Gibraltar seem like must haves, lifeline obviously for the heals. Gibraltar's mortar strike seems crazy strong, especially late game when the zone is so small. Pathfinder is really good for getting places quick and on top of the map where you otherwise wouldn't be able to go. Bloodhound is pretty decent for tracking people, Wraith is really good for playing solo q.

I'm excited to see where it goes from here, I barley touch blackout anymore because of how little updates it gets and that blackout/PC seem to be on the backburner for them.