General Motors to begin first round of layoffs on Monday, axing 4,000 workers (they've axed 14,000 in NA since November)

https://www.nbcnews.com/business/autos/general-motors-begin-first-round-layoffs-monday-axing-4-000-n966571?

In all, about 4,000 workers in its North American operations will be terminated, part of a broader series of cuts expected to save the automaker billions of dollars and help it prepare for an expected slowdown of the U.S. automotive market during the next several years.

“This is not going to be like Black Friday,” one source told NBC News, referring to the massive cutback GM ordered in the run-up to its 2010 bankruptcy.

That said, the largest of the Detroit-based carmakers will, with the latest cuts, have eliminated more than 14,000 jobs in the U.S. and Canada since November.

Prior to announcing the cuts, GM had hoped to reduce its workforce through voluntary buyouts offered to 17,700 employees, but the acceptance rate initially was low. Two separate sources told NBC News that the number of workers who have negotiated separation agreements has escalated in recent weeks, though GM still needs to hand out pink slips to about 4,000 employees next week to meet its target.

The cutbacks will, overall, save the company about $3 billion by the end of this year, despite the cost of the buyouts, and a total of $6 billion by the end of 2020.

1 hour ago, Chris- said:

Yes, give me the leopards. 

Yes this is definitely Donald Trump's fault and not GM's who makes largely unappealing vehicles and the vehicles they do make that sell relatively well are a truck, suv's based on that truck, a pushrod V8 sports car, and a lesser pushrod V8 sports car. The exact type of vehicles that are quickly declining in popularity. 

6 minutes ago, Dodger said:

Yes this is definitely Donald Trump's fault and not GM's who makes largely unappealing vehicles and the vehicles they do make that sell relatively well are a truck, suv's based on that truck, a pushrod V8 sports car, and a lesser pushrod V8 sports car. The exact type of vehicles that are quickly declining in popularity. 

I never said it was Trump’s fault. But when you support a candidate that is anti-trade, anti-labor, and helped usher in a universally-panned corporate tax cut under the auspices of ‘job creation’, then crumbs for you when the manufacturing sector continues to decline. 

19 minutes ago, Chris- said:

I never said it was Trump’s fault. But when you support a candidate that is anti-trade, anti-labor, and helped usher in a universally-panned corporate tax cut under the auspices of ‘job creation’, then crumbs for you when the manufacturing sector continues to decline. 

This is an important point @Dodger. It's not Trump's fault that this has happened (thought it is his fault that some other facilities are closing due to steel tariffs), but he hasn't tried to implement any retraining programs, etc, due to his insistence that manufacturing is coming back to the US. It's like choosing the candidate who says the Titanic isn't sinking instead of the one that says "it's too late, I will help provide life rafts." Democrats want to provide retraining opportunities (subsidized by government) to these communities. Now, that isn't to say it will work perfectly. Recent evidence has shown that under Obama, these programs were ill-attended because ex-miners/workers didn't want to retrain, they wanted to wait for the jobs to return. That is their own fault, though, and also the GOP/Fox's for continuing to push the message that the jobs are leaving for political reasons, and not economic ones.

So you are correct (Dodger) that it is not a political problem, but there are political solutions to help soften the economic blow to these areas, and only the Democrats seem willing to try them.

"“I was looking at some of those big, once-incredible job-producing factories,” Trump said about his drive to the site of a rally in July 2017. “And my wife, Melania, said, ‘What happened?’ I said, ‘Those jobs have left Ohio.’ They’re all coming back. They’re all coming back. Don’t move. Don’t sell your house."

Why people continue to listen this huckster is beyond me. Initially I am sadden by these people plights but this isnt something that should come as a surprise to them, now my response is

:shrug: