I am in a hospital ER on Super Bowl Sunday - AMA

Commissar SFLUFAN

Update:

She had a complete and total emotional breakdown last night because she decided to "take a break" from the Prozac because she'd been "feeling good" for a few days and had more than a few drinks because she was "feeling a bit down" that at one point involved her asking me to "kill her to put her out of her misery".

After pointing out to her that (a) there is no way in hell I'd do that to begin with,  (b) I'd be the prime suspect anyway, and (c) Inuk would be very angry with the both of us, she came to her senses (especially when I threatened that I would bodily drag her to the ER if necessary)

Yep, things are going swimmingly!

• Sad 1

8 hours ago, SFLUFAN said:

Update:

She had a complete and total emotional breakdown last night because she decided to "take a break" from the Prozac because she'd been "feeling good" for a few days and had more than a few drinks because she was "feeling a bit down" that at one point involved her asking me to "kill her to put her out of her misery".

After pointing out to her that (a) there is no way in hell I'd do that to begin with,  (b) I'd be the prime suspect anyway, and (c) Inuk would be very angry with the both of us, she came to her senses (especially when I threatened that I would bodily drag her to the ER if necessary)

Yep, things are going swimmingly!

Shit Wade, that sounds like a tough situation. I'm not sure I would be able to deal with someone who was that unstable. Good on you for being there for her. 

2 hours ago, Nokra said:

Shit Wade, that sounds like a tough situation. I'm not sure I would be able to deal with someone who was that unstable. Good on you for being there for her. 

It just gets better.

Just before Christmas, she decided that this area has too many emotional triggers for her to heal properly so she decided to move to Charlotte, NC in early March.

While she has found a room to rent in  what looks like a nice house to live in, she doesn't have a job lined up (she only just started applying - I helped her with the resume), so her plan is to work as a waitress until she finds a "real" job.

It goes without saying that for someone in her traumatized, fragile state that there is very little that can be described as "good" in this plan at all.  She won't have her support network there that entirely consists of me and Inuk at this point.

To say that I am concerned about what could happen to her is an understatement:  I am absolutely terrified out of my mind by the possibilities of what might happen if things don't go the way she hopes they will.  Seriously, I am more fearful than I have been of anything in my entire life.

And yet, I know that I cannot show it.  It is taking all of my practice of stoicism to hide my fears from her because I know that revealing  them will only add to her emotional trauma and that is the last thing I want to do to her.

So, I am supportive and encouraging.  I reassure her as best I can all the while being roiled inside.  What else can I do?  She is a 36 year-old woman who assumedly has agency over her actions, and I care about her too much as a friend/family to deny her that.

Thank Vishnu Inuk is here otherwise I doubt that I would be bearing up as well as I am.

10 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Yeah those customer service jobs like being a waitress is not going to go well especially with the way a lot of customers are. Tell her to look for a late night job that doesn't involve seeing a lot of people or like a warehouse job or something.

She's had lots of waitressing jobs before, but that was when she was in her 20s and early 30s.  She's entering her late 30s and waitressing is absolutely exhausting for people as they get older.

I wouldn't have as much fear if she was further along in the course of her medical treatment, but as the events of last night clearly showed (and I haven't told you guys even the half of it), she's nowhere near being in an emotional condition where this degree of uncertainty and insecurity will be helpful at all.

2 hours ago, Biggie said:

Have you considered the possibility that this woman has become emotionally attached to you and your incredibly sweet dog and is in love with you? I mean let’s face it, you and your dog are both very charming and supportive.

At this point, she's so very emotionally shattered that she can barely maintain an emotional attachment to herself far less to anyone else.  She needs a fair amount of therapy before she can be in a position to have anything resembling a healthy relationship.