I am in a hospital ER on Super Bowl Sunday - AMA

Commissar SFLUFAN

2 minutes ago, SFLUFAN said:

Well, that was an utterly useless infuriating exercise that is pretty much representative of the entire American health care system.

What happened? 

Also entire hospitals should look like the kids area. They’re so fucking plain and boring. 

21 minutes ago, johnny said:

What happened? 

Also entire hospitals should look like the kids area. They’re so fucking plain and boring. 

The first doctor she spoke to said that she's been experiencing anxiety which her response was "Of course, I know am!" and she started to get very agitated/started to cry.  They finally brought in the on-call psychiatrist who evaluated her through a monitor.  She said that they had a good conversation and the psychiatrist confirmed that she very much is suffering from PTSD.  However, they cannot prescribe medications from that hospital and she has to go to the Inova Psychiatric Assessment Center to obtain the prescription, which is an entirely separate facility in another town.

Needless to say, this has only ADDED to her anxiety and totally distraught mood.  She's going to try to get the hospital to reduce/waive the bill for this visit as absolutely no real help was provided at all.  When she told me all of this, I basically started to cry as well.

• Sad 1

Imagine going to a restaurant and placing an order and hours later saying they don't serve that here and then ask you to pay for the meal you never received 

Imagine ordering delivery and having them show up to your house to say that don't have that food and then charge you for the delivery

When you get home you going to try and finally hit it tonight?

Obviously I’m kidding. Sounds like you’re a good friend to her. Glad she doesn’t have to go through this alone. Hope you you both get to enjoy the Super Bowl tonight. 

3 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

What was the lesson of yesterday and do you feel the lesson of today will be? 

The lesson of yesterday was that the American mental health care system is a byzantine mess and I feel that today's lesson will be maybe to do research first as I think this is the place we should've been at from the start.

43 minutes ago, SFLUFAN said:

The lesson of yesterday was that the American mental health care system is a byzantine mess and I feel that today's lesson will be maybe to do research first as I think this is the place we should've been at from the start.

It certainly didn't help that this happened not just on a weekend but on Super Bowl Sunday of all days.

If her treatment plan winds up being mostly pills and not really involving talk therapy, once the psychiatrist nails down a good treatment plan there's no need to keep paying to see a psychiatrist, she can transfer everything over to an internist at that point. They generally don't like to start psychiatric treatment plans but it's become pretty routine for them to take over managing writing the prescription(s) and making sure everything is still working as intended once the treatment plan is established.

Or if she wants talk therapy but wants it from a psychologist (can't write prescriptions) not a psychiatrist (can write prescriptions and often tend to to want to just do that instead of doing talk therapy), she can have the internist manage the meds while seeing the psychologist for the therapy.

23 hours ago, SFLUFAN said:

The first doctor she spoke to said that she's been experiencing anxiety which her response was "Of course, I know am!" and she started to get very agitated/started to cry.  They finally brought in the on-call psychiatrist who evaluated her through a monitor.  She said that they had a good conversation and the psychiatrist confirmed that she very much is suffering from PTSD.  However, they cannot prescribe medications from that hospital and she has to go to the Inova Psychiatric Assessment Center to obtain the prescription, which is an entirely separate facility in another town.

Needless to say, this has only ADDED to her anxiety and totally distraught mood.  She's going to try to get the hospital to reduce/waive the bill for this visit as absolutely no real help was provided at all.  When she told me all of this, I basically started to cry as well.

sending someone with PSTD level anxiety to ER is like sending a Biggest Loser contestant to a Chick-fil-A

It's no help and they gonna break!

7 minutes ago, kittykat said:

When I first started having severe panic attacks a couple years ago, I went to the ER several times because I didn’t know what was happening and I thought I was dying. They really can’t do much for you except give you Ativan, make sure you aren’t a risk to yourself or others, and refer you for more care. An ER can’t fix it. It’s frustrating when you feel so helpless and desperate but I don’t think that’s the signs of a broken system by any means. Hopefully with medication and/or CBT she can start having some relief soon and it’s good she has someone to support her.

They did give her half of an Ativan yesterday which calmed her down last night.

The IPAC prescribed a 30 day supply of Prozac (with one additional refill) and a bottle of Ativan for those times when she gets a severe attack.

Hopefully things work out better for the 2 of you. The Health Care system in Canada ain’t much better. I just finally got surgery for a wrist injury that happened almost 3 years ago. 

If you can get ahold of some Cinderella 99 marijuana, I think it would a nice alternative to the pills. A very relaxing, happy, and euphoric like smoke/vape that helps my cousin after a rough day of work, but even better when watching a colourful movie. Just putting that out there cause I think it works

13 hours ago, silentbob said:

Hopefully things work out better for the 2 of you. The Health Care system in Canada ain’t much better. I just finally got surgery for a wrist injury that happened almost 3 years ago. 

If you can get ahold of some Cinderella 99 marijuana, I think it would a nice alternative to the pills. A very relaxing, happy, and euphoric like smoke/vape that helps my cousin after a rough day of work, but even better when watching a colourful movie. Just putting that out there cause I think it works

She tried marijuana a couple of months ago and it had zero effect on her.

3 minutes ago, SFLUFAN said:

She tried marijuana a couple of months ago and it had zero effect on her.

For what it's worth, I have heard several people say that the first time they tried it they didn't notice anything at all. Maybe it takes a time or two? 

16 minutes ago, SFLUFAN said:

She said that it made her buzzed but did nothing to alleviate the anxiety.

I think CBD-only concentrates are supposed to be better for anxiety than marijuana. The medical marijuana law changed recently in Virginia to make any condition a qualifying condition. I'm not sure if the Virginia dispensaries are open yet but I think the DC medical marijuana dispensaries are allowed to take recommendations from other states. 

And I know that despite recreational sales not technically being legal in DC that some people are operating stores regardless, so they might have CBD-only oil for sale. 

1 minute ago, Jason said:

I think CBD-only concentrates are supposed to be better for anxiety than marijuana. The medical marijuana law changed recently in Virginia to make any condition a qualifying condition. I'm not sure if the Virginia dispensaries are open yet but I think the DC medical marijuana dispensaries are allowed to take recommendations from other states. 

And I know that despite recreational sales not technically being legal in DC that some people are operating stores regardless, so they might have CBD-only oil for sale. 

I did suggest CBD to her - I think she'll consider it now as a complement to her current treatment.