~*Official "What the hell, Commonwealth of Virginia?" Thread*~

3 hours ago, Anathema- said:

I just don't see the people who made a special trip to the ballot box for trump getting it up for youngkin. 

Yeah intuitively he's very much the suburban dad type that many college educated whites would be ok with voting for (they did it before!) But not a guy to get the crazies in Western VA out in force. But who knows! It's also possible that tmac has dampened enthusiasm on his side due to disaffected Dems.

One last thing that gives me pause on the polling is that it looks like there's some herding so they may be very wrong or extremely accurate

59 minutes ago, marioandsonic said:

The fact that in a +10 D state, the governor's race is in a practical dead heat is really, really bad. Like, incredibly bad.  Youngkin might not win this election, and I really hope he doesn't, but even if he loses, it does show that the Dems could get completely and utterly fucked in 2022 and 2024.

Polling in Virginia isn't that great, I wouldn't draw too many conclusions from it. 

1 hour ago, marioandsonic said:

The fact that in a +10 D state, the governor's race is in a practical dead heat is really, really bad. Like, incredibly bad.  Youngkin might not win this election, and I really hope he doesn't, but even if he loses, it does show that the Dems could get completely and utterly fucked in 2022 and 2024.

We're making 2024 predictions already? 2009 elected Republicans in Virginia and New Jersey and Obama won re-election in 2012. 

2022 could be bad, or it could be a sign of Biden's approval ratings currently and that if it's better next year, Democrats do better. Either way, Virginia's trended Democratic since 2008 but seems to always elect someone of party opposite the president, save 2013. All we know right now is that it's +10 nationally, not necessarily in state races. 

There is sooooo much to happen between now and even the 22 midterms. There is plenty of reason to expect next summer to be as normal as we are going to get in the post Covid era. People will feel more optimism no matter what the president or congress does. Who knows where that leaves things electorally? 

I can't think of any prominent VA democratic politician that's campaigning on culture stuff. Pretending that they are, however, and using that as an excuse to get outraged and engage in the culture war to gin up votes has been part and parcel of republican GOTV efforts for decades upon decades. 

22 minutes ago, Anathema- said:

I can't think of any prominent VA democratic politician that's campaigning on culture stuff. Pretending that they are, however, and using that as an excuse to get outraged and engage in the culture war to gin up votes has been part and parcel of republican GOTV efforts for decades upon decades. 

See: crt today

I don't know where else to put this, but since people will be watching these election results, I'll just post it here.

I went and voted during my lunch break.  No idea who anyone I voted for was, but I voted D where I could and left it at that.

Although one neat thing happened:  as I was driving through the neighborhood to get to the polling place, a bald eagle swooped down onto the road in front of me, picked up a squirrel or something, then flew off. 

I won't like like it's a sign or something, but I just thought it was cool and kinda appropriate and I had to tell somebody lol.

1 hour ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

these groups not showing up just needed that bipartisan infrastructure bill but since we didn't pass that they're staying home sad!

"I totally would have voted for the Party X but they didn't pass a specific bill, so I'll sit this one out"

6 minutes ago, PaladinSolo said:

I mean we're basically at a point where Youngkin needs a lot of people that voted for Biden/Northam to vote for him as NOVA counties are coming it over 2017 turnout already.

Half of the ads I saw on YouTube paid for by youngkin were off some woman from Fairfax who voted for Biden and was a lifelong Dem but decided to vote for youngkin lol