~*Official "What the hell, Commonwealth of Virginia?" Thread*~

2 hours ago, outsida said:

Just to put it out there, 35 years ago was 1984. Even then, this type of behavior was beyond the pale. This was towards the end of the “New South” era after the civil rights movement saw more inclusion of black people and embracing more progressive politics. There is no way a student seeking an advanced degree at the time could argue “I didn’t know black face/klan hood/MAGA hat  = bad”

Related image

SoulMan was a major studio release in 1986, so at least on the Blackface front, I don't think all of America was convinced that this was completely socially unacceptable. Especially as a costume on Halloween. As for being in the Klan, yeah, America knew that was wrong. Dressing up as a Klan member as a costume, who knows. We're a fucked up place. 

10 minutes ago, Chollowa said:

Related image

SoulMan was a major studio release in 1986, so at least on the Blackface front, I don't think all of America was convinced that this was completely socially unacceptable. Especially as a costume on Halloween. As for being in the Klan, yeah, America knew that was wrong. Dressing up as a Klan member as a costume, who knows. We're a fucked up place. 

Trading places was released in 1983 and has Dan aykroyd in blackface as a dope smoking Rasta 

8 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Trading places was released in 1983 and has Dan aykroyd in blackface as a dope smoking Rasta 

Comedies in the 70s and 80s have some of the cringiest racial humor. It’s like gay jokes in 90s and 00s flicks.

21 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Comedies in the 70s and 80s have some of the cringiest racial humor. It’s like gay jokes in 90s and 00s flicks.

Not just racial humor. I forget exactly when I watched Revenge of the Nerds but I was taken aback by how rapey that scene at the end of the movie with tricking the girl into eating her out was. Compare to, say, Animal House—the thread about the 13 year old girl wouldn't fly today but it did at least have the setup that she'd gone on campus and lied about how old she was. 

3 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Just an innocent 25 year old boy in the 80s in blackface and klan hood in Virginia. He's a changed man!

I’ll be candid and (purposely) vague. In 2007, I dressed in a racially insensitive costume for Halloween.

I was 19, and hand on my heart, truly had no idea what I was doing was wrong. In fact I went to a Halloween party that night with 50+ other 18-25 year olds, and no one so much as said a word.

My point being, I would hate for my employer to find pictures (they wouldn’t be able to) and hold me accountable now for something I did then.

But, political office is an entirely different realm, and we should expect and demand the best of our leaders, throughout their life.

3 minutes ago, osxmatt said:

I’ll be candid and (purposely) vague. In 2007, I dressed in a racially insensitive costume for Halloween.

I was 19, and hand on my heart, truly had no idea what I was doing was wrong. In fact I went to a Halloween party that night with 50+ other 18-25 year olds, and no one so much as said a word.

My point being, I would hate for my employer to find pictures (they wouldn’t be able to) and hold me accountable now for something I did then.

But, political office is an entirely different realm, and we should expect and demand the best of our leaders, throughout their life.

You should probably leave D1P.  

You know, the more I think about this, the more I get uncomfortable with the fact that the Democrats keep letting the right tell them when to jump on purging their politicians, especially for things we know the GOP wouldn't purge its own politicians for.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, osxmatt said:

What at matters isn’t as much what happened as how you handle it now. Keeping things on the DL and hoping it never comes out is excusable as a private citizen, but as a public figure Northam lost points right off the bat for not being forthright. But even then there was time to respond, he could have said a few things that would have varied from “not great but let it ride” to truly inclusive and inspiring but he did neither. 

It’s all but too late now but this guy has it right, I think, for what should be reasonably expected:

Just now, Jason said:

You know, the more I think about this, the more I get uncomfortable with the fact that the Democrats keep letting the right tell them when to jump on purging their politicians, especially for things we know the GOP wouldn't purge its own politicians for.

Eh I had that whiff of a thought then realized that Justin Fairfax being governor is gonna be a bad time for republicans. No way they’d want that. 

3 minutes ago, Anathema- said:

Eh I had that whiff of a thought then realized that Justin Fairfax being governor is gonna be a bad time for republicans. No way they’d want that. 

It still hurts the Democrats to put them through another convulsion like this. And the GOP is already scoring points of this, like in the tweet I posted above.

3 minutes ago, Anathema- said:

I had this thought as well. I dont think they thought this through very well.

1 minute ago, Anathema- said:

What at matters isn’t as much what happened as how you handle it now. Keeping things on the DL and hoping it never comes out is excusable as a private citizen, but as a public figure Northam lost points right off the bat for not being forthright. But even then there was time to respond, he could have said a few things that would have varied from “not great but let it ride” to truly inclusive and inspiring but he did neither. 

It’s all but too late now but this guy has it right, I think, for what should be reasonably expected:

To me this response would be valid if he actually had been a member of the KKK rather than just wearing it as joke costume for Halloween or whatever. He made a bad joke 35 years ago, I don't think that means he should lose his career. Unless there's something I haven't heard, I don't really think a bad joke 35 years ago necessitates a "road to Damascus" moment.

3 minutes ago, Jason said:

It still hurts the Democrats to put them through another convulsion like this. And the GOP is already scoring points of this, like in the tweet I posted above.

I dunno it seems more likely to show the integrity of dems and hypocrisy of reps .. maybe that won’t play in the media but I think people will notice. And besides, I like Northam but there are lots of other good pols who can replace him. 

4 minutes ago, Anathema- said:

I dunno it seems more likely to show the integrity of dems and hypocrisy of reps .. maybe that won’t play in the media but I think people will notice.

Doug Jones only beat Roy Moore by 1.5% and Moore was a fucking pedophile. We already know how this plays out in the broader electorate: Democratic voters expect this to happen (which is why the right keeps doing this: they know the Democratic base will reliably call for the person's head), Republican voters won't give a shit that the Democrats showed integrity, and the centrists will take it as further proof of "both sides".

I love what happened during the 2016 election, because it established (reinforced?) two principles going forward:

Democrats have to care, because if they don’t, they are hypocrites.

Republican can’t care, because if they do, they are hypocrites.

However, only one of those seem to be holding true.

2 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

It shows Dan is a dumbass? Because it sounds like he did through responsible thing if he couldn't verify it.

Sure.  But hindsight is 20/20, right?  IF Dan Boingo Boingo had released that photo prior to the election, Northam would likely have had to drop out, which would have increased the chances that the GOP candidate would have won.