~*Official "What the hell, Commonwealth of Virginia?" Thread*~

1 hour ago, CitizenVectron said:

Apparently 3 more allegations coming soon.

So Fairfax will be gone, and Northam will appoint his replacement. Imagine the lobbying behind the scenes for that job, considering you could be governor very shortly.

If Fairfax is gone, say hello to Lt. Governor Levar Stoney (unless there's a well regarded black woman in state politics I don't know of)

10 hours ago, RedSoxFan9 said:

Honestly you really have to take West's opinions with a grain of salt because a lot of his problems with Coates lie in the fact that Coates praises Obama and West hates Obama largely for personal reasons.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Boyle5150 said:

Glenn Loury and John  McWhorter are far better at elaborating the problems with TNC’s views than I am. 

How familiar are you with his work? 

Dont get me wrong, I think he makes a great deal of good arguments.  

I subscribe to The Atlantic, so I've read his stuff there, including the article mentioned in this thread, which was so long ago, I didn't realize he wrote it until I read it in this thread. :p 

Between the World and Me is on my reading list. I haven't really had any issues with him so far.

5 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Honestly you really have to take West's opinions with a grain of salt because a lot of his problems with Coates lie in the fact that Coates praises Obama and West hates Obama largely for personal reasons.

What personal reasons do you think West has for hating Obama?

43 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

He felt snubbed by Obama for some event and has held it against him since... it's pretty well known and others have taken him to task for it.  Same with Tavis Smiley.

just one of the article talking about the issue

Thanks. I can certainly understand that POV, but it feels like a “why not both?” issue. It seems clear that West dislikes Obama from a policy perspective, but he fuels his rhetoric about Obama with his personal distaste for the man.

3 minutes ago, SFLUFAN said:

Oh wow - those numbers from African-Americans really give him all the cover he needs to remain in office.

It wouldn't shock me if there's a calculation that Northam is better than taking the risk of making it to the House of Delegates speaker becoming governor. 

12 minutes ago, Jason said:

It wouldn't shock me if there's a calculation that Northam is better than taking the risk of making it to the House of Delegates speaker becoming governor. 

I think it may be simpler than that: racism in the past (and present) of a 60 year old white old south politician is already baked in to the share price of Northam amongst black voters. They expect that folks of his vintage have such skeletons in their closet already.