~*Official "What the hell, Commonwealth of Virginia?" Thread*~

13 minutes ago, PaladinSolo said:

So the plan to combat old racist photos is to disparage the black man that'd take his place, this is all just great.

It is a bold strategy, Cotton, and it just might pay off.

It turns out politicians, and this can't be stated enough, are more often then not, terrible human beings. That said, we need Democratic politicians to at least NOT be racist/sexist and understand global warming is real, and caused by mankind. These are the minimum job requirements in 2019. 

On ‎2‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 12:38 PM, Ricofoley said:

Northam should obviously resign, although I suppose I kind of understand how someone in his situation could think they could find a way out of this given that like three months ago we all saw Brett Kavanaugh successfully maneuver around a "credible" sexual assault accusation by holding up a bunch of old calendars and yelling a lot.

What's that old expression, it's not the crime that gets you in trouble it's the cover up. I don't know if he would have been able to save himself if he immediately acknowledged the photos were real and did the whole apology it was a different time and place and is not who am I as a person 35 years later routine but damn he's definitely had the worst possible response you could have to all of this. 

9 minutes ago, Amazatron said:

They certainly love playing the "we're not racists because Abe Lincoln was a Republican" card over and over again.

I get this CONSTANTLY from friends who refuse to acknowledge shifting party platforms.

"Republicans freed the slaves!"

"Democrats started the KKK!"

"Republicans passed civil rights!"

11 minutes ago, Dodger said:

What's that old expression, it's not the crime that gets you in trouble it's the cover up. I don't know if he would have been able to save himself if he immediately acknowledged the photos were real and did the whole apology it was a different time and place and is not who am I as a person 35 years later routine but damn he's definitely had the worst possible response you could have to all of this. 

The being told by his wife not to moonwalk is the greatest thing ever. How did this guy even get this far?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, sblfilms said:

They pushed him because they thought he could win. That is why parties push candidates :p

In seriousness, from his Wikipedia page it sounds like it's possible that the only reason he became important in the first place was because the state Democrats probably had to bend a little to keep him happy to keep him from switching parties and handing over control of the state senate to the Republicans.

In 2009, Northam—a self-described "conservative on fiscal issues and liberal on social issues"—was the subject of an attempt by state Senate Republicans to get him to switch parties.This action would have given Republicans control of the State Senate, but after news of the imminent switch broke on Twitter, Democrats held a closed-door meeting, and Northam reiterated that he was not leaving the party. He later said, "I guess it's nice to be wanted, but I'm a Democrat, and that's where I'm staying."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ralph_Northam#Virginia_State_Senate_(2008–2013)

12 minutes ago, Jason said:

In seriousness, from his Wikipedia page it sounds like it's possible that the only reason he became important in the first place was because the state Democrats probably had to bend a little to keep him happy to keep him from switching parties and handing over control of the state senate to the Republicans.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ralph_Northam#Virginia_State_Senate_(2008–2013)

Democrats would be better off without people like this

I do get part of the opposing argument: Robert Byrd went from Klansman to a Senator with a sterling civil rights record and was mourned by the NAACP upon his passing. Even Northam helped restore the voting rights of felons who served their time.

So I do get that. We have reformed Nazis and white supremacists in the country. My thing is more, his story flipped, then he mentioned, "Well, that probably isn't me but there was that one time I was in blackface," and he's been so inconsistent, laughably so, that it's best for the whole state that he resigns. 

16 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

I do get part of the opposing argument: Robert Byrd went from Klansman to a Senator with a sterling civil rights record and was mourned by the NAACP upon his passing. Even Northam helped restore the voting rights of felons who served their time.

So I do get that. We have reformed Nazis and white supremacists in the country. My thing is more, his story flipped, then he mentioned, "Well, that probably isn't me but there was that one time I was in blackface," and he's been so inconsistent, laughably so, that it's best for the whole state that he resigns. 

That's where I'm at too. I don't think the picture was in and of itself enough to warrant an immediate resignation but his handling of this has definitely been disqualifying.

35 minutes ago, Jason said:

That's where I'm at too. I don't think the picture was in and of itself enough to warrant an immediate resignation but his handling of this has definitely been disqualifying.

The original content was a bit touchy but he knocked the whole damn thing off. Now he’s being implicated in the attempted character assassination of Justin fairfax and it’s like holy shit what is this guy doing?

I called his office and left a voicemail demanding his resignation. 

It is crazy that he tried to not answer the question if he was blackface or KK. He said that anotehr time he was blackface so he couldn't be sure if this was also him in blackface.  Telling people that you dressed in blackface another time doesn't help. He must really not want to say he is in the KKK outfit.

What are the Las Vegas odds he resigns in a week?