~*Official "What the hell, Commonwealth of Virginia?" Thread*~

I initially assumed we were talking about his high school year book.

Med school :ana:

Is there any reason to believe Northam still believes this is appropriate behavior? People change, they mature, and 35 years is actually a long time. But probably best politically for the dude to just leave office.

Just now, sblfilms said:

IIs there any reason to believe Northam still believes this is appropriate behavior? People change, they mature, and 35 years is actually a long time. But probably best politically for the dude to just leave office.

I seriously doubt that he still believes it is appropriate behavior, but that's largely irrelevant.  It would be expedient for him and the Virginia Democratic Party for him to resign.

2 minutes ago, SFLUFAN said:

I seriously doubt that he still believes it is appropriate behavior, but that's largely irrelevant.  It would be expedient for him and the Virginia Democratic Party for him to resign.

I don’t think it is irrelevant, society needs to be better at allowing people to change for the better. Punishing decent people today for their transgressions 30 years ago is non-sensical.

But we aren’t good at that, so your second sentence remains the prudent course.

11 minutes ago, CayceG said:

Also, after his statement this week that was seized upon by anti-abortion activists, I'm wondering if maybe this was something some anti-Northam group was holding in reserve for a rainy day. 

A post on Twitter said that the VA GOP knew about this during the campaign but hid it because if it came to light, Northam would've received all the Republican votes :lol:

• Haha 6

19 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

I initially assumed we were talking about his high school year book.

Med school :ana:

Is there any reason to believe Northam still believes this is appropriate behavior? People change, they mature, and 35 years is actually a long time. But probably best politically for the dude to just leave office.

You pretty much just said what when through my mind, word for word.

Scary!

Just to put it out there, 35 years ago was 1984. Even then, this type of behavior was beyond the pale. This was towards the end of the “New South” era after the civil rights movement saw more inclusion of black people and embracing more progressive politics. There is no way a student seeking an advanced degree at the time could argue “I didn’t know black face/klan hood/MAGA hat  = bad”

1 minute ago, outsida said:

Just to put it out there, 35 years ago was 1984. Even then this type of behavior was beyond the pale. This was towards the end of the “New South” era after the civil rights movement that saw more inclusion of black people and embracing more progressive politics. There is no way a student seeking an advanced degree at the time couldn’t argue “I didn’t know black face/klan hood/MAGA hat  = bad”

The point stands that people change, though. There was that Senator who went from being a Klan member to being good on civil rights. 

3 minutes ago, Jason said:

The point stands that people change, though. There was that Senator who went from being a Klan member to being good on civil rights. 

True, but that senator was old af so one can plausibly argue times were different 70 - 80 years ago. 

4 minutes ago, outsida said:

True, but that senator was old af so one can plausibly argue times were different 70 - 80 years ago. 

"Northam has changed since 35 years ago" is a distinct argument from "Northam can't be expected to have known better".

3 minutes ago, Snaynay1 said:

I have been driving yet. Has it been determined which of the two costumed people is him?

I think it makes most sense that he is in blackface.