Sony patent filed for BC of PS1,PS2,PS3 and PS4 on PS5

Rodimus

4 hours ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

There will always be a demand for the classics, especially if they're improved in subsequent releases. 

But I stand by my statement that BC is something people claim they want, but most never use.

The upshot is that once Sony gets it nailed down for the PS5, it shouldn't really require any new emulation work or weird doubling up of chipsets like the PS3 did with the PS2 chipset. So it's realistically a one-time investment on Sony's part to make the entire back catalogue available. And I agree with you on the gap between people saying they want it and actually using it, but I'm sure that's part of why Sony is willing to do it and why Microsoft has been willing to do it--it looks good, probably doesn't cost THAT much to provide, and isn't really much of a risk in terms of getting people to buy less current-gen games.

5 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Except it's not clutter :) 

I'm sure you know you're an outlier on that one. :p

2 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Clutter: noun, a collection of things lying about in an untidy mass 

By definition, it is not clutter. Thank you, and goodnight :)

Multiple old console systems that are unrelated to each other in size, shape and compatibility that take up self space is TOTALLY clutter. A simple all-in-1 device is superior and very neat and VERY tidy. 

7 minutes ago, Jason said:

The upshot is that once Sony gets it nailed down for the PS5, it shouldn't really require any new emulation work or weird doubling up of chipsets like the PS3 did with the PS2 chipset. So it's realistically a one-time investment on Sony's part to make the entire back catalogue available. And I agree with you on the gap between people saying they want it and actually using it, but I'm sure that's part of why Sony is willing to do it and why Microsoft has been willing to do it--it looks good, probably doesn't cost THAT much to provide, and isn't really much of a risk in terms of getting people to buy less current-gen games.

I'm sure you know you're an outlier on that one. :p

I don't care if they include it if the cost is  reasonable. I just stand by my statements that most people don't care as much as they think they do. 

Also, see my post detailing the definition of clutter :p I am an outlier when it comes to owning a lot of stuff over all systems in the history of gaming, but it's not clutter, not by definition. 

10 minutes ago, ALIEN-gunner said:

The stuff on the shelf you described to me sounds like an untidy mass. The wires alone are an abomination. 

We have a special set up to where the cords are pretty nice and neat, actually. I've talked about it on the retro board in the past. 

I like things organized and neat. I know what I have and since I can read the definition of clutter, I know I don't have clutter. I literally have an entire secondary living room that's a dedicated game room. 

4 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

We have a special set up to where the cords are pretty nice and neat, actually. I've talked about it on the retro board in the past. 

I like things organized and neat. I know what I have and since I can read the definition of clutter, I know I don't have clutter. I literally have an entire secondary living room that's a dedicated game room. 

That all sounds like fantasy to me. 

3 minutes ago, ALIEN-gunner said:

Ok, you've convinced me. 

Like I said, I'm kind of a neat freak :p 

I start to lose my shit when my husband leaves mail on the a table for too long. I try not to go into his project room, because it's usually messy. I have a decent library of books and I'm equally OCD about them. 

I like organization and it's doable if you put some effort into it. 

Those pics are 4 years old and some things have changed, somes stuff has been added, but the overall situation is the same. 

Yep, totally unrealistic. Can't possibly have things neat and tidy. 

https://m.imgur.com/a/X8vd3

Look at the disaster! It's literally the definition of clutter!

Not. 

I agree that that's very neat but you know that for many people at least one half of a relationship is going consider that clutter. For example that CRT you keep prominently displayed for use with the retro consoles? Yeah...good luck getting a non-gaming SO to tolerate that.

Clutter: noun, a collection of things lying about in an untidy mass 

By definition, it is not clutter. Thank you, and goodnight :)

:demut:

I'm really not being pedantic, though. When you say clutter, people tend to think of an untidy mess. I clearly have things highly organized. 

And, yes, I know that most women would throw a fit if their man wanted a setup like that. That doesn't mean it's a mess, though. And I've already acknowledged that I'm an outlier. 

And remember, that's a dedicated game room. We have a perfectly normal living room with the only game item being a Switch dock on the entertainment center. So even if I were a bitchy wife, I could let my husband indulge himself in a gaming room. 

Also, I'm not really sure what the CRT has anything to do with this discussion. It's not necessary, but it's a nice addition for a couple of retro gaming nuts. We've actually just recently gotten a brand new, high end CRT monitor for the room. :p

@Jason 

28 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

I'm really not being pedantic, though. When you say clutter, people tend to think of an untidy mess. I clearly have things highly organized. 

And, yes, I know that most women would throw a fit if their man wanted a setup like that. That doesn't mean it's a mess, though. And I've already acknowledged that I'm an outlier. 

And remember, that's a dedicated game room. We have a perfectly normal living room with the only game item being a Switch dock on the entertainment center. So even if I were a bitchy wife, I could let my husband indulge himself in a gaming room. 

Also, I'm not really sure what the CRT has anything to do with this discussion. It's not necessary, but it's a nice addition for a couple of retro gaming nuts. We've actually just recently gotten a brand new, high end CRT monitor for the room. :p

@Jason 

Then you truly are a dark elf. :(

I would totally love to get rid of all the wires and such I have as I still have my PS2/PS3 by my entertainment unit, but now I'm thinking there's some secret CNUT is keeping from us to get the wires perfect.

I have a get-together at my place in a week; maybe I need to research this shit. :mthinking:

This is an important feature, but not a deal breaker.  Yes, some people say "who cares, keep your old console around" and I ignore those people because their opinion is nothing but lazy.

Anyways, a PS5 that allows me to play the PS4 titles on it would be excellent.  I want to retire my PS4 Pro when the PS5 comes out, and only have one console in use.  

One suspects that many, many, many other people agree with me, because MS is spending millions and so is Sony on doing this exact same thing.  

19 hours ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

There will always be a demand for the classics, especially if they're improved in subsequent releases. 

But I stand by my statement that BC is something people claim they want, but most never use.

Opinions aren't very useful when there are statistics. https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2017-06-08-50-percent-of-xbox-one-owners-use-backwards-compatibility

6 hours ago, SaysWho? said:

I would totally love to get rid of all the wires and such I have as I still have my PS2/PS3 by my entertainment unit, but now I'm thinking there's some secret CNUT is keeping from us to get the wires perfect.

I have a get-together at my place in a week; maybe I need to research this shit. :mthinking:

it's not perfect, but it's just good cable management using ties to keep them together and most all the old consoles are basically routed through a single AC adapter and tied down the tall shelf you see in the pictures.

6 hours ago, Rodimus said:

Her shelves are amazing and well organized. It would be like calling a library cluttered.

@CastlevaniaNut18 tell mt more about the new crt?

Basically, my husband lost his mind. It was on sale when he bought it, though. https://na.suzohapp.com/products/monitors/49-2715-00

He spent two days with his boss in our garage making a wooden housing unit for it. When weather permits, he's going to paint it and it'll be in use.

On 2/1/2019 at 1:13 PM, Brick said:

Yes please! 

Even just offering PS4 backwards compatibility would be nice, and should be easy to do. 

THIS !!

It's also a no-brainier. I can in no way see this not happening. Graphical differences will be minimal at best on AAA titles moving forward so they will need to offer another Punch or two to make it seem a "Must Have"

Same deal Apple faces, it's getting harder and harder to make the new thing feel Must 'Have" especially since games now look fantastic. So there's that faster possessors, more ram and a locked 60fps there isn't much the average consumers will be wowed by! To those gamers like me, I'm in either way . . .

On 2/1/2019 at 5:23 PM, XxEvil AshxX said:

Sure they do. Nintendo and Sony have been making a killing for years re-releasing older games on newer platforms. They wouldn't keep doing it if people weren't buying them. All Backward Compatibility means is that I don't have to buy a game I already own. How many "HD remasters" of PS3 games were there this gen? How many times have we bought Super Mario Bros.?

I’m still convinced for the majority of people, even if they say themselves that they really want it, like the idea of BC more than they’ll ever actually use it.

I’d love to know the average play time of even those re-released games. I’d bet it’s not high. 

Personally, I play old games a lot. But most people do not.