Sony patent filed for BC of PS1,PS2,PS3 and PS4 on PS5

Rodimus

Sony filed a patent for Backwards Compatibility. 

https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=es&u=https://www.hobbyconsolas.com/noticias/sony-patenta-nuevo-sistema-retrocompatibilidad-ps5-ps4-ps3-ps2-psx-367727&prev=search

Mark Cerny is the Author of the patent.

If this becomes a real thing then no question day one purchase for me of the PS5 regardless of launch games.

Only seems logical. From here on out its unlikely that that generation, from a hardware perspective, will cause much issue, as it will use less/no emulation and simply engage the correct API version/engine based on the software the player wants to play. The PlayStation and Xbox platforms will enjoy a much more Steam like experience going forward. If they don't do that, it would be quite foolish. 

The bigger news here is that this seems to make a formal PS5 announcement seem imminent! (3-6 months in gaming terms). 

I am not holding my breath. 

I would love to see full BC for PS5, but Sony has been crap on it for a decade now and I really won't believe a change on it until I see it. Sometimes companies get patents without using them.

3 hours ago, Rodimus said:

Sony filed a patent for Backwards Compatibility. 

https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=es&u=https://www.hobbyconsolas.com/noticias/sony-patenta-nuevo-sistema-retrocompatibilidad-ps5-ps4-ps3-ps2-psx-367727&prev=search

Mark Cerny is the Author of the patent.

If this becomes a real thing then no question day one purchase for me of the PS5 regardless of launch games.

I think the Vita is the only piece of gaming hardware I have ever bought without waiting for at least one price drop, but I would probably get a launch PS5 if it had complete Sony console BC.

31 minutes ago, SFLUFAN said:

Oh, I'm sure that Sony will make BC available on the PS5...

...for a nominal price.

A subscription fee, for each console!

PS1: $4.99/month

PS2: $9.99/month

PS3: $7.99/month

PS4: $14.99/month

And no, you cannot sub to all of them for a discount!

22 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Is it really that big a deal for people to keep their old consoles?

I've kept most of my old consoles baring a few that I didn't care to get rid of. I still find it a lot easier to have BC and actually prefer it.

I don't really have a setup that accommodates having all of my consoles sitting out and ready to plugged in at a moments notice. 

Also I would much rather use modern controllers for older games (looking at you N64). Plus the nicety of having a multitude of games in a single place is nice, same reason people don't want 20 different PC launchers. Is it really that difficult to download more? no, but its annoying.

32 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Is it really that big a deal for people to keep their old consoles?

yes and no, I have my old systems but I don't have them hooked up, but I am more than willing to dig out the old games to play them. there are still a ton of xbox/360 games I want to see added to the DC

now as for Sony filing a patent...woopie-do....filing a patent and actually doing something with it are two very different things. I'll believe it when I see it. 

2 hours ago, Chairslinger said:

I think the Vita is the only piece of gaming hardware I have ever bought without waiting for at least one price drop, but I would probably get a launch PS5 if it had complete Sony console BC.

I'm not saying I won't buy a PS5 at launch. I'm saying even before I see any games I would buy a PS5 at launch. I bought a PS2 at launch. I bought a PS3 in December the year of the launch. I bougth a PSP at launch. I bought a PS4 at launch. I didn't buy a PS1 until 1997 and a Vita until 2014.

28 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

I'm just skeptical that most people really utilize BC a meaningful amount.

X enhanced games are pretty great, and we if we can get next gen consoles to enhance current gen and possibly previous gen games it's definitely nice. Plus being able to do it all digitally is nice. Don't want to have a box with your old console and games taking up space in your closet or garage or whatever. Plus it is annoying to have too much shit plugged into your tv, even if there are splitters and other things to help with that. Not everyone wants extra boxes cluttering their entertainment center area. 

In the case of the PS5, if there were a way it would be one box that is fully compatible with the previous 4 systems, and you could get all those games digitally, and you could even get them enchanced, that would be pretty damn cool. 

The biggest benefit will be if these games can be enhanced to 4k, the 360 games that do this really do look a lot better. 

As a PC gamer, I fully support full backwards compatibility! The generational lines mean a lot less when everything is just at your fingertips. It's no longer "I'm gonna play this XBOX THREE-SIXTY game," it's just "I'm gonna play this game!"

Of course, for some reason, console makers do a lot of weird things with the branding of this stuff to highlight that it's from an older console a lot of the time. I guess having that information is good, but it keeps that line in your brain about this specifically being an "old," game, as these are the same people trying to sell us new consoles on the merit that the ones we have are old dusty pieces of shit. I dunno, for me it's a psychological thing, but when all the games are just there, it's not a big deal. It's just my games.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

I'm just skeptical that most people really utilize BC a meaningful amount.

Sure they do. Nintendo and Sony have been making a killing for years re-releasing older games on newer platforms. They wouldn't keep doing it if people weren't buying them. All Backward Compatibility means is that I don't have to buy a game I already own. How many "HD remasters" of PS3 games were there this gen? How many times have we bought Super Mario Bros.?

1 minute ago, XxEvil AshxX said:

Sure they do. Nintendo and Sony have been making a killing for years re-releasing older games on newer platforms. They wouldn't keep doing it if people weren't buying them. All Backward Compatibility means is that I don't have to buy a game I already own. How many "HD remasters" of PS3 games were there this gen? How many times have we bought Super Mario Bros.?

There will always be a demand for the classics, especially if they're improved in subsequent releases. 

But I stand by my statement that BC is something people claim they want, but most never use.

BC is useful in the beginning of the generation. I know I will still playing some PS3 games after the PS4 launched and had to keep the PS3 out with the tv.

My biggest issue is that I've been 100% all digital for about 3 years now, and have a massive digital library on both the PS4 and X1. I don't want to have 4 boxes to go back and access those games. It would be much more convenient to have those games available to download on the next platform. A lot of people now have the same problem on at least one platform. 

Also, BC might get more popular if the games can be enhanced. It's a lot less jarring to go back to an X enhanced 360 game than it is to go back to some blocky ps1 game that hasn't aged well. 

I think it's simply an option that doesn't hurt to be there at all times, no reason to not have it imho. Unless we have some numbers it's hard to say how many use it, but I do think people definitely appreciate having it. 

I don't think I'm a big time bc guy but there are times I get an itch to go back to a game and having the option to easily throw it in to one system is super convenient. 

Although I can do it all on Pc as well so it is what it is but I'd definitely be a fan of ps5 having bc for all past generations. 

10 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Yes indeed... thank God for Xbox BC because if it wasn't for that, they wouldn't have bothered. So glad I save most of my games.

The cool thing is, it's a deeper library going back to the PS1. The amount of games on the PS1/PS2 alone is staggering.

2 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

The cool thing is, it's a deeper library going back to the PS1. The amount of games on the PS1/PS2 alone is staggering.

Yea, having 5 systems dedicated to one brand is a lot of shelf clutter imho... Having all those playable games in one easy console I think would really make for a great sell point in itself.. If definitely day 1 if they do nail the bc aspect. 

1 hour ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

My shelves look beautiful, actually :)

Biggest issue I have is the way my projector screen is I basically lose a whole wall.. So my stand is about 3 feet off the floor with 3 levels, I couldn't even fit all those old consoles there lol  when I get my basement finished tho I wouldn't mind making a classic gaming area. But right now I couldn't even set that up without it giving me anxiety being so cluttered