Hobbs & Shaw Trailer and Discussion Thread

Pikachu

Hobbs & Shaw
In Theaters August 2, 2019
https://www.HobbsAndShawMovie.com

After eight films that have amassed almost $5 billion worldwide, the Fast & Furious franchise now features its first stand-alone vehicle as Dwayne Johnson and Jason Statham reprise their roles as Luke Hobbs and Deckard Shaw in Fast & Furious Presents: Hobbs & Shaw.

Ever since hulking lawman Hobbs (Johnson), a loyal agent of America's Diplomatic Security Service, and lawless outcast Shaw (Statham), a former British military elite operative, first faced off in 2015’s Furious 7, the duo have swapped smack talk and body blows as they’ve tried to take each other down.

But when cyber-genetically enhanced anarchist Brixton (Idris Elba) gains control of an insidious bio-threat that could alter humanity forever — and bests a brilliant and fearless  rogue MI6 agent (The Crown’s Vanessa Kirby), who just happens to be Shaw’s sister — these two sworn enemies will have to partner up to bring down the only guy who might be badder than themselves.

Hobbs & Shaw blasts open a new door in the Fast universe as it hurtles action across the globe, from Los Angeles to London and from the toxic wasteland of Chernobyl to the lush beauty of Samoa.   

Directed by David Leitch (Deadpool 2) from a script by longtime Fast & Furious narrative architect Chris Morgan, the film is produced by Morgan, Johnson, Statham and Hiram Garcia. The executive producers are Dany Garcia, Kelly McCormick, Steven Chasman, Ethan Smith and Ainsley Davies.

17 minutes ago, SFLUFAN said:

The Fast & Furious needs to embrace its destiny and truly become the Call of Duty of the movie world!

After the one (I can't even remember the numbering) where The Rock picks up the 1,000 lb gattling gun and Vin Diesel picks up the 2,000 lb concrete slab, I fully believed that the next logical step was simply to introduce superpowers into the series. And don't even explain it. Just have there be a scene where Vin Diesel is impaled by something and have him pull it out and have the flesh regrow. Or have the Rock pick up a car and throw it. Just embrace the ridiculousness and run with it, people would totally accept it. I mean, they are obviously going to reach point where they are driving Ferraris on the moon anyway.

1 minute ago, CitizenVectron said:

After the one (I can't even remember the numbering) where The Rock picks up the 1,000 lb gattling gun and Vin Diesel picks up the 2,000 lb concrete slab, I fully believed that the next logical step was simply to introduce superpowers into the series. And don't even explain it. Just have there be a scene where Vin Diesel is impaled by something and have him pull it out and have the flesh regrow. Or have the Rock pick up a car and throw it. Just embrace the ridiculousness and run with it, people would totally accept it. I mean, they are obviously going to reach point where they are driving Ferraris on the moon anyway.

Did you not watch this trailer?  The badguy literally has superpowers.  He is bulletproof with super strength.  

2 minutes ago, number305 said:

Did you not watch this trailer?  The badguy literally has superpowers.  He is bulletproof with super strength.  

Yeah, but the good guys need to start doing that too. But the key is not to explain it, and just roll with it like it was part of the universe the whole time.

OR, have the next main entry be The Past and the Furious. Vin Diesel and crew drive into a particle accelerator and are sent back in time to the American Revolution (along with a British bad guy) and have to beef up the colonial forces by re-inventing the internal combustion engine (and sweet cars). Then the sequel is called Fast to the Future, where the team builds a time machine using sweet cars to come back to the present, but they accidentally overshoot and go into the future and have to stop and alien invasion by punching them and doing sick ramping tricks with vehicles. Maybe even have the final blow by a copy of independence day, but instead of a fighter jet it's a Lamborghini being ramped into the air into the mouth of the alien weapon, blowing it up. And instead of a virus, they invent a way to teleport punches, so the Rock and Vin Diesel punch an alien so hard that all of the other aliens also get punched from a distance, all dying. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, CitizenVectron said:

Yeah, but the good guys need to start doing that too. But the key is not to explain it, and just roll with it like it was part of the universe the whole time.

OR, have the next main entry be The Past and the Furious. Vin Diesel and crew drive into a particle accelerator and are sent back in time to the American Revolution (along with a British bad guy) and have to beef up the colonial forces by re-inventing the internal combustion engine (and sweet cars). Then the sequel is called Fast to the Future, where the team builds a time machine using sweet cars to come back to the present, but they accidentally overshoot and go into the future and have to stop and alien invasion by punching them and doing sick ramping tricks with vehicles. Maybe even have the final blow by a copy of independence day, but instead of a fighter jet it's a Lamborghini being ramped into the air into the mouth of the alien weapon, blowing it up. And instead of a virus, they invent a way to teleport punches, so the Rock and Vin Diesel punch an alien so hard that all of the other aliens also get punched from a distance, all dying. 

Back to the future with The Rock... that pitch would be seriously listened to in Hollywood right now.  There are worse ideas.  Honestly this all looks like the direction these movies are naturally headed.

I’m happy to see a movie studio throwing a big flick into that first weekend of August slot. GOTG and Suicide Squad cleaned up being put there as the studios basically stop releasing movies the week before kids start going back to school.

3 hours ago, Brick said:

I have not seen a single Fast and Furious movie except for the first, but this looks like dumb fun. 

They haven't been terribly bad since they started going with heist style.  They're not great movies by no means but the action is entertaining.

4 hours ago, Brick said:

I have not seen a single Fast and Furious movie except for the first, but this looks like dumb fun. 

You know that scene from The Other Guys where the Rock and Samuel L Jackson look at each other and say "You thinking what I'm thinking?" "Aim for the bushes," and jump from the 20-storey building to their deaths? That's basically F&F since movie 4 or 5, but they always land on their feet...or in this case, in their cars (they literally skydive with their cars in one movie). It's so stupid that it's hard not to like.

20 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

You know that scene from The Other Guys where the Rock and Samuel L Jackson look at each other and say "You thinking what I'm thinking?" "Aim for the bushes," and jump from the 20-storey building to their deaths? That's basically F&F since movie 4 or 5, but they always land on their feet...or in this case, in their cars (they literally skydive with their cars in one movie). It's so stupid that it's hard not to like.

I don't remember which movie it was but  I always loved when they drove a car out of one skyscraper into another and then into another lol. So stupid. 

34 minutes ago, DarkStar189 said:

I don't remember which movie it was but  I always loved when they drove a car out of one skyscraper into another and then into another lol. So stupid. 

That the 7th movie and it was a bloated mess. Still need to watch my copy of Furious 8, but I surpringsly really liked this trailer. Looks like Leitch took the same playful Deadpool tone to this movie too 

3 hours ago, DarkStar189 said:

The verdict? “To be honest,” says Professor Loveridge, “that is probably the most plausible stunt in the whole movie.”

First, some information: The towers in question are an immense five-tower skyscraper complex in Abu Dhabi called Etihad Towers; the tallest is 1,002 feet high, and the shortest is 714 feet high. The car is a Lykan HyperSport, a $3.4 million supercar with custom rubies and diamonds in its headlights and a gold-plated roof. It’s the only supercar produced in the Middle East, and there are only seven in existence. (Maybe six after this scene.)

https://www.vulture.com/2015/04/could-furious-7s-skyscraper-jump-really-happen.html

21 hours ago, SFLUFAN said:

The Fast & Furious needs to embrace its destiny and truly become the Call of Duty of the movie world!

It hasn't already? They have super powers in it now for god's sake :lol: Idris Elba looks like a cross between Luke Cage and Iron Man... expect him to "join the team" in the sequel.

9 hours ago, ALIEN-gunner said:

When the crew goes into space it's destiny will be complete. 

Yeah, to fight off an Alien Invasion by racing them. 

16 hours ago, CitizenVectron said:

You know that scene from The Other Guys where the Rock and Samuel L Jackson look at each other and say "You thinking what I'm thinking?" "Aim for the bushes," and jump from the 20-storey building to their deaths? That's basically F&F since movie 4 or 5, but they always land on their feet...or in this case, in their cars (they literally skydive with their cars in one movie). It's so stupid that it's hard not to like. EVERY ACTION MOVIE EVER MADE.

FTFY... If action movies strove for even a MODICUM of realism they would be over in two minutes. No prolonged gun fights, no mexican stand offs. No "One man Army" taking down platoons of trained, heavily armed men who for inexplicable reason can't hit the broad side of a barn. No 100 pound girls knocking out 300 pound men with ballerina moves. No out-running explosions. No heroes having the constitution of Wolverine and Jason from Friday the 13th combined... I could go on and on. F&F didn't create action movie cliches... they just embraced them and dialed them up to 111 and unashamedly so. Good for them. I'll check this out because I've enjoyed these movies the more they stepped into comic book/videogame reality.