Jump to content

AMC launches their own subscription service.


Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

I rarely see a movie more than once in the theater so the repeat viewing feature didn't really affect me when MoviePass removed it and it's not really enticing here at twice the price.

 

It's rare for me to see a movie twice in the theater as well, though it does happen, and indeed moviepass is working just fine for me, but I have to imagine the 3D/Imax option is enticing to some. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Can you pre-purchase tickets for upcoming movies? Like ant-man and wasp...taking my kids to see that opening day. That’s a definite pre-purchase bc every showing will be sold out all weekend. 

 

I have MoviePass for date night with my wife. It’s $13/head for a movie so if I only go once a month, it’s worth it. I still pay separately for the blockbusters i want to see opening day/weekend. So this AMC pass may be worth it (esp with the concession discount too) if i can pre-order reserved seats. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The problem for me now is that I always take my kids to the movies. If Marcus Theaters starts some sort of family plan with this I might be interested.

 

I would want some sort of lesser plan that allows for one movie a week. One movie a week for three people would be nice.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Seems like a fine deal, but the AMC that is nearest me is pretty small. It's a great theater. Recently remodeled, assigned seating, big recliners, alcohol available, but the availability of films is more limited.

 

Once Moviepass inevitably goes out of business, I'll consider this option.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I only have one AMC near me and I don't like it very much. There are a bunch in town, but they aren't that convenient.

 

I've always preferred Wherenburg, who was recently bought by Marcus, which I was annoyed by at first, but Marcus has done a really good job with everything. Plus, I can buy tickets with their app and not pay a dumb service fee.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, sblfilms said:

This is a better service than MoviePass. And MoviePass gets worse by the week, now getting ready to add surge pricing for big movies. 

 

Cinemark is working on something similar to AMC.

 

It's terrible. $8.99/mo for one movie (but it can roll over if you don't use it that month), and 20% off concessions. Wow! 20% off a $5 candy bar is still like $3 too expensive. Lol.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

 

It's terrible. $8.99/mo for one movie (but it can roll over if you don't use it that month), and 20% off concessions. Wow! 20% off a $5 candy bar is still like $3 too expensive. Lol.

 

That is their current thing, which isn’t bad for people who live in expensive markets as you can buy more tickets for the $9 price and don’t have to pay service fees for online purchases. But it’s basically just a discount card.

 

But they have something like AMC’s new premium subscription service coming. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'd be down for it if I went to the movies often, but I seldom ever do.  I do prefer AMC over the local chain who owns all the other movie theaters in my area.  I always go to AMC as their ticket prices are cheaper and all their seats are power recliners.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, Jason said:

Considering movie theaters make their actual money off concessions it seems like this is a more viable business model when it's driving people into a single chain of theaters.

 

While it would certainly be difficult for a movie theater to be profitable off of ticket sales only, in the aggregate we keep around 45% of all our ticket revenue while sending the other 55% to the studios. A significant reduction in ticket revenue would be bad for the theaters, but the big point of the subscription model is to get customers in to the theater more often which could definitely offset the per transaction loss in ticket revenue with over all increases in ticket and concessions revenue.

I've always been a proponent of keeping ticket prices low to encourage great attendance and more spends at the concession stand.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

While it would certainly be difficult for a movie theater to be profitable off of ticket sales only, in the aggregate we keep around 45% of all our ticket revenue while sending the other 55% to the studios. A significant reduction in ticket revenue would be bad for the theaters, but the big point of the subscription model is to get customers in to the theater more often which could definitely offset the per transaction loss in ticket revenue with over all increases in ticket and concessions revenue.

I've always been a proponent of keeping ticket prices low to encourage great attendance and more spends at the concession stand.

 

I'm curious what you think of the bit about thinking this is more sustainable as a single-chain subscription than a subscription that gets you into multiple participating chains.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

There are a couple of nice AMC theaters in my area, but they aren't all that convenient to me. I work right around the corner from a Cinemark though, and it's probably my favorite place to see movies. If they put out a plan like this, I would be all over it. 

 

But still, for as long as Movie Pass is around, I'll prefer that just because we have some local theaters that get a lot of the smaller movies that I want to see, and they rarely come to the Cinemark/AMC. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, TheLeon said:

There are a couple of nice AMC theaters in my area, but they aren't all that convenient to me. I work right around the corner from a Cinemark though, and it's probably my favorite place to see movies. If they put out a plan like this, I would be all over it. 

 

But still, for as long as Movie Pass is around, I'll prefer that just because we have some local theaters that get a lot of the smaller movies that I want to see, and they rarely come to the Cinemark/AMC. 

 

Hi

Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, Jason said:

 

I'm curious what you think of the bit about thinking this is more sustainable as a single-chain subscription than a subscription that gets you into multiple participating chains.


The advantages the theaters have over third parties is that 1) the theaters only have to pay out the studio's share of the ticket, while third parties have to pay full price for both the studio and theater's shares of the ticket, and 2) the theaters have ancillary revenue streams that benefit from the theoretical attendance increase. 

One of the other bits that has come out of the MoviePass experiment is that it's pretty clear that nobody changes their location preferences with subscription models that allow theater choice. If you generally went to a Cinemark or an AMC before you signed up for MoviePass, you most likely this go to that same theater. So being locked in to your preferred theater chain is probably not an issue for the vast majority of people interested in this sort of service.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...