Nintendo’s next Switch model will reportedly shrink the size/cost/features; Switch Online to add "new services aimed at enthusiasts"

Jason

Brief hint of more services to come to Nintendo Switch Online as well.

My read of this is that this is going to be more akin to how the 2DS was positioned relative to the 3DS than the minor hardware bump/refresh people were speculating was coming. Which if I'm right would mean that this isn't supplanting the current model a la PS4-->PS4 Slim, but will instead be in addition to it.

If they integrated the controllers with the body I imagine that would be a pretty reasonable savings. You couldn't play Mario Party without buying extra Joycons, but you could probably make a better / cheaper portable Zelda system. It would be agressive of Nintendo to offer something like that, but it makes sense to strike while the iron's hot.

I hope the new online services is being able to mesage your friends and schedule time to play together.

I think the joycons are already small enough. I would hoping for a Switch XL with a bigger display and battery. I would be happy if the form factor was the same but bigger screen smaller bezzel.

Why not 4k?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jason said:

Brief hint of more services to come to Nintendo Switch Online as well.

My read of this is that this is going to be more akin to how the 2DS was positioned relative to the 3DS than the minor hardware bump/refresh people were speculating was coming. Which if I'm right would mean that this isn't supplanting the current model a la PS4-->PS4 Slim, but will instead be in addition to it.

Yea, sounds like maybe a portable-only switch that can't connect to a TV... maybe?

I would love a smaller, portable only unit for kids. Give it more of a bag friendly design, too, with those pancake analog sticks the 3DS like had. There's no reason not to make it dockable, either. Just keep the USB-C on the bottom and let people figure it out on their own.

8 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

There's no reason not to make it dockable, either.

Yes there is, potentially. From the article:

Nintendo could also nix support for the dock altogether, but that would only make sense if an updated, shrunken motherboard was no longer compatible with the "overclock" applied to the system when running at a higher pixel resolution in TV mode.

1 hour ago, Jason said:

Yes there is, potentially. From the article:

I guess that could work...maybe. That would only make sense if they dropped active cooling, but I'm not really sure how much money a fan would actually save them. As it stands, I do believe the Switch is just underclocked for cooling and power consumption's sake.

I guess we'll see what direction they won't up going in.

1 hour ago, chakoo said:

Good. I really don't like the bulky size of the switch and hate taking it with me on business trips due to it's size. =|

I'm the opposite. I wish it had a bigger nicer screen.

I take my iPad all the time to work and it's bigger (not bulkier but the switch is barely bulky anyhow)