What's the coldest weather you have experienced

Triage

So Chicago is colder than Antarctica! 

This morning -27 and with wind chill -50!! House was crackling all night with weird sounds that we found out is cryoseism! 

I had no idea what to expect this morning when going to work... So what's the worst weather you have experienced? 

Also for fun:

It's winter in Illinois

And the gentle breezes blow 

Seventy five miles an hour,

At thirty-five below 

Oh, however I love Illinois 

When the snow's up to my butt 

You take a breath of winter air 

And your nose gets frozen shut.

Yes, the weather here is wonderful 

So I guess I'll hang around.

I could never leave Illinois 

'Cause I'm frozen to the ground!

I experienced single digits during Christmas of 2017 and I think that's the coldest. Even my dad wouldn't get out to hunt that morning with temps that cold the wind chill making it feel even colder. We did go out that afternoon, when it warmed up to around 20 and both killed a deer, so it worked out, though when we were still out there after dark and the temps falling back to single digits while trying to field dress and load up two deer.

I don't think I could live anywhere where it routinely gets that cold and colder. 

27 minutes ago, kittykat said:

-50 Celsius which is -58 Fahrenheit 

School wasn’t even cancelled! Though only half the class showed up. Not everyone could start their car in that weather and it was too cold to walk for most. I lived a block away and bundled up and walked. 

What time is it there?

2 hours ago, Triage said:

So Chicago is colder than Antarctica! 

This morning -27 and with wind chill -50!! House was crackling all night with weird sounds that we found out is cryoseism! 

I had no idea what to expect this morning when going to work... So what's the worst weather you have experienced? 

Also for fun:

It's winter in Illinois

And the gentle breezes blow 

Seventy five miles an hour,

At thirty-five below 

Oh, however I love Illinois 

When the snow's up to my butt 

You take a breath of winter air 

And your nose gets frozen shut.

Yes, the weather here is wonderful 

So I guess I'll hang around.

I could never leave Illinois 

'Cause I'm frozen to the ground!

Googled cryoseism. Very interesting. 

Coldest I can remember is probably what we are getting tonight into tomorrow.  Its 3 degress at my house right now.  Tomorrow is a high of 15 degrees but with the wind I think they said -5, maybe -10 degrees. Schools already cancelled.  I'm looking at our 7 day forecast and by Tuesday next week it will be 54 degrees which is too warm for this time of year.

I think the lowest temperature I experienced was probably around -10 or -15 F (-23 to -26 C) on two separate occasions: once when I went snowshoeing and another time snowboarding. The snowshoeing one was fine because I was plenty warm due to the exercise, but sitting on the chairlift in -15 F was murder. :lol:

It would have to be less than -43C without windchill since that local record was set long after I moved away from Labrador but it may have been as low as -60C with windchill when I was there.

Sledding in cold weather can have interesting results. As a kid, a friend had a disc of ice on his cheek after we got in from sledding. Once after sledding with a beard, I had fangs of ice form on my mustache.

1 hour ago, Slug said:

When I was a kid in D.C. we got down to like -4 or -5 then whatever the windchill was.

Right now it's a balmy 8 degrees here in Jersey.

Just remembered I spent one day in the negative teens once, when I had to fly out for an equipment install at a remote site in Minnesota in January a number of years ago.  That wasn't pleasant.  I did not pack appropriately for that kind of cold.

7 hours ago, JosephManderley said:

-30C About 5-6 years ago in the Beskid mountains of southern Poland.  The village I was in was without water for a few days, the local authorities were distributing big containers of water to households.  I barely went outside myself, but for most people it was pretty much business as usual.

What were you doing in Poland? That's where I'm originally from that's why I'm asking :) 

My first winter at school in upstate NY it got down to around -20 with the wind chill, maybe worse. Being a kid from southern CA I was horrified by the cold and couldn't believe that anything was still functioning. One super cold day I ordered a pizza and was shocked they agreed to deliver it to me. My dorm building was 250 ft from the road, so I expected the driver to call me from the car. When he showed up at the door I was so happy to not have to brave the cold I think I gave him a $20 tip for an $8 pizza.

I bought my first house almost fours years ago and my first winter in it, the water line froze. I had the water company come over to defrost it and the guy chastised me for not dripping my water. I didn’t even know that was a thing. Now whenever it gets cold, the water company emails me to drip my water. :p

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

I bought my first house almost fours years ago and my first winter in it, the water line froze. I had the water company come over to defrost it and the guy chastised me for not dripping my water. I didn’t even know that was a thing. Now whenever it gets cold, the water company emails me to drip my water. :p

Yeah we dripped our water, increased heat by two degrees in the house and left kitchen cabinets open (I guess that's a thing too)