McTurtle against making Election Day a national holiday because it’s a “Power play” by Democrats.

10 hours ago, sblfilms said:

2. Federal employees already get a ton of paid holidays. This seems to be true from my recollection of my wife working at Bank of America when we first got married and how many Mondays she had off for this or that federal holiday, but I don’t know what the rest of the average federal workers PTO situation is like.

10 days is a ton?

Better not go to France, they have 13!

5 hours ago, Xbob42 said:

When getting people to actually vote is a "power play" by the opposition, perhaps reconsider your political ideology.

Also, arguing that the democrats are playing politics by wanting more people to vote because it helps them is a major signal of being born with fetal alcohol syndrome.

1 hour ago, Anathema- said:

Also, arguing that the democrats are playing politics by wanting more people to vote because it helps them is a major signal of being born with fetal alcohol syndrome.

No it's a signal of Mitch Mcconnell being a hypocritical piece of shit who has somehow managed to fly below the radar and not be held to account despite actually BEING obstructionist during the Obama years.  That fucker contradicts himself almost weekly and no one calls him out.

21 hours ago, SFLUFAN said:

Because my firm works closely with the Federal government, we observe all the Federal holidays which totally sucks because why the hell do I want MLK Day or Presidents' Day off?  I've been trying for years to get my firm to convert MLK Day, Presidents' Day, and Veterans' Day into "floating" holidays that can be taken at any time.

A few years ago our company took away one of our floating holidays in favor of instead now giving us MLK day off.  :|

Just now, Slug said:

A few years ago our company took away one of our floating holidays in favor of instead now giving us MLK day off.  :|

Company I used to work for would alternate... one year we got Columbus Day off but worked MLK day, the next, Vice-versa.  The owner was Italian though. On aside not he Trump reminds me so much of him it's crazy... he's out of business now of course.

Just now, skillzdadirecta said:

Company I used to work for would alternate... one year we got Columbus Day off but worked MLK day, the next, Vice-versa.  The owner was Italian though. On aside not he Trump reminds me so much of him it's crazy... he's out of business now of course.

How many times did the, "Which day off did we have last year..?" conversation come up?

It mostly bugs me because that was the whole point of the "floating holiday".  If someone wanted to take that day off as a day of service or whatever good for them, let 'em.  But I lose a flexible day off to be forced to take time for a holiday that I'm not going to do jack shit for?  In January?  Bleh.

Getting 10 days off per year is not luxurious, it should be considered bottom-of-the-barrel and barely acceptable. My province has a stat minimum of 15 days per year (plus statutory holidays). After 10 years at the same place you are bumped to 20. But really, it should start at 20 or 25 and go up from there.

Adding it all up, at my workplace I get:

• 15 vacation days (no limit on carry-over) until year 10
  • 11 Statutory holidays
  • 20 sick days (no limit on carry-over) + 2 flex days for sick child, etc
  • 12 EDOs (1 Friday per month)

So pretty good, but not nearly as good as European standards.

28 minutes ago, Jason said:

EDO?

Earned Day Off. It's common in most office settings in Canada. Basically you work an extra few minutes per day, and in exchange you get a full day off every 2 or 4 weeks. Most people in Canada in offices work 37.5 hours per week, so a 2-week EDO schedule will often be 32 hours one week (with an EDO) and then a 40-hour workweek the next, or something like that. It's a nice morale-boosting perk. 

On 1/30/2019 at 5:48 PM, mclumber1 said:

It's a dumb idea not because it is a power play, but because no one will benefit from it besides those who didn't have any trouble taking time off to vote already.  You honestly think that taco Bell and McDonald's is going to observe this new holiday?

While I get the sentiment (we only get, like, 5 federal holidays off in my office, and if implemented this certainly wouldn't be one of them), you're missing one of the finer points: this is also meant to address the chronic lack of qualified poll workers. Across bipartisan lines, through red and blue states, election officials (something like 85-90%?) say recruiting enough volunteer poll workers to work for free on election day is basically a biannual epidemic. That's why it's generally senior citizens and other retirees who do it, but fewer and fewer are showing up.

In addition to the federal holiday, one of the provisions (and I'm paraphrasing from memory, but mostly on-point) would allow some federal workers to apply to gain additional paid time off -- hence Turkey-Neck's rants about "a week of paid leave" -- if they agree to spend it training and then working the polls on their new federal holiday off. In theory, more trained workers means less election day fiascos, machine errors knocking out entire polling stations for hours at a time, and lines wrapping around the block that discourage workers who can only take an hour out of their day to vote, but not four hours to wait in a line because a polling location is down to one functional machine and one poor volunteer named Barbara who's been on her feet for 15 hours trying to organize the mess.

So yeah, most businesses won't give employees the day off. But by making it federal and allowing for more trained poll workers, you're taking the process from being a grueling day-long process for many people, especially those in crowded urban areas (which, of course as Mitch knows, tend to vote Blue), and making it a 20 minute stopover on a worker's lunch break. But long lines deter people from voting or cause them to exit the line early when they realize the baby sitter leaves at 6pm, which Mitchistopheles is obviously aware of. Hence his real problem with the federal holiday issue.

[Also, sorry for reviving old-ish threads, but I promised last time I came back here that it wouldn't be a drive-by posting, but then I forgot my password, then remembered it today, plus I'm getting over the flu and my roommate is on to the 8th hour of her "Say Yes To The Dress" marathon, so you're all stuck with me.]

• Thanks 2

• 3 years later...