Jump to content
MarSolo

McTurtle against making Election Day a national holiday because it’s a “Power play” by Democrats.

Recommended Posts

It's a dumb idea not because it is a power play, but because no one will benefit from it besides those who didn't have any trouble taking time off to vote already.  You honestly think that taco Bell and McDonald's is going to observe this new holiday?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

It's a dumb idea not because it is a power play, but because no one will benefit from it besides those who didn't have any trouble taking time off to vote already.  You honestly think that taco Bell and McDonald's is going to observe this new holiday?

So fucking what?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

We have holidays for a guy on stick's b-day and a fucking bunny, we can handle this America! 

Easter isn't actually an observed holiday.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Republicans think that anything that improves the country is a power play because they can't imagine trying to make America better just to, you know, make it better.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, SFLUFAN said:

Easter isn't actually an observed holiday.

Fine, fine! How about fuck all the indigenous peoples day instead?! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think it should a mandatory paid Holiday and all businesses closed down so no one misses the chance to vote. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

Fine, fine! How about fuck all the indigenous peoples day instead?! 

I'll be more than happy to eliminate that one, MLK Jr Day, President's Day, and combine Memorial Day with Veteran's Day on November 11 to obtain an Election Day holiday.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, SimpleG said:

I think it should a mandatory paid Holiday and all businesses closed down so no one misses the chance to vote. 

 

I'm not sure the federal government has that power over private business.  And what about emergency personnel like police and fire fighters? Do they all get the day off?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, SFLUFAN said:

I'll be more than happy to eliminate that one, MLK Jr Day, President's Day, and combine Memorial Day with Veteran's Day on November 11 to obtain an Election Day holiday.

 

Hey now, my current company observes all the holidays, including the Utah only Pioneer Day (I don’t even work in Utah) , I don’t need you consolidating my free days off.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The best thing the federal government could do is mandate that all states inistitute an optional (and no questions asked) vote by mail system.  I've voted by mail since 2004 and it's the best thing ever.  I can fill out my ballot buck naked in the comfort of my own home.  If I tried to vote naked at a polling place I would get arrested!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mclumber1 said:

 

I'm not sure the federal government has that power over private business.  And what about emergency personnel like police and fire fighters? Do they all get the day off?

There is no reason essential personnel cant have staggered days off to account for this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mclumber1 said:

The best thing the federal government could do is mandate that all states inistitute an optional (and no questions asked) vote by mail system.  I've voted by mail since 2004 and it's the best thing ever.  I can fill out my ballot buck naked in the comfort of my own home.  If I tried to vote naked at a polling place I would get arrested!

I like this but lets be honest , both of our ideas are a pipe dream. The whole voting system needs completely reworked from the ground up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Turtle is afraid that when they can’t suppress the vote they will lose every election to Democrats, because poor, white nationalists are greatly outnumbered, and the GOP cannot even matinee how they might grow up to be inclusive, actually try to improve society. They want to keep the poor poor, make America white again. Only way to keep winning any elections is to steal them, and ensure the fewest possible minorities can vote. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, mclumber1 said:

It's a dumb idea not because it is a power play, but because no one will benefit from it besides those who didn't have any trouble taking time off to vote already.  You honestly think that taco Bell and McDonald's is going to observe this new holiday?

Faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaart

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like how he says, "Just what America needs, Another paid holiday"

 

Why not? It's not like we have hundreds of them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, finaljedi said:

 

Hey now, my current company observes all the holidays, including the Utah only Pioneer Day (I don’t even work in Utah) , I don’t need you consolidating my free days off.

 

No fair. I work at a Utah based company in Utah and they don't even give it to us.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, mclumber1 said:

The best thing the federal government could do is mandate that all states inistitute an optional (and no questions asked) vote by mail system.  I've voted by mail since 2004 and it's the best thing ever.  I can fill out my ballot buck naked in the comfort of my own home.  If I tried to vote naked at a polling place I would get arrested!

They don’t even count your vote until after the election 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, osxmatt said:

Old white Republican men have a remarkable ability to say the quiet part out loud.

 

Trump has shown them that they don't need to bother pretending to care about norms and deceny.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You can certainly argue he meant something else, and I think the track record of voter suppression is not on the side of any republican, but his comments here seem to

cover three points that have little to do with what has been discussed thus far.

 

1. Creating a paid federal holiday for government workers entails paying for more than a single day off. I have no idea why this is the case or if it is true. Does anybody know?

 

2. Federal employees already get a ton of paid holidays. This seems to be true from my recollection of my wife working at Bank of America when we first got married and how many Mondays she had off for this or that federal holiday, but I don’t know what the rest of the average federal workers PTO situation is like.

 

3. The federal labor force leans Dem, and this is a ploy to allow more of them to work the campaign on the taxpayers dime. I don’t think he is wrong in his charge here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Because it is a power play. Democrats only support it because everything shows the larger the turnout the better they do. If latinos voted 70% Republican the wall would have been built 30 years ago. If Voter ID laws lowered Republican turnout you would need an ID a Passport and your social security card to vote.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Dodger said:

Because it is a power play. Democrats only support it because everything shows the larger the turnout the better they do. If latinos voted 70% Republican the wall would have been built 30 years ago. If Voter ID laws lowered Republican turnout you would need an ID a Passport and your social security card to vote.

 

:duckhuntdog:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Just change Columbus day to election day. No new holidays, just moving an existing on to coincide with elections. Ezpz

And we're done here!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Dodger said:

Because it is a power play. Democrats only support it because everything shows the larger the turnout the better they do. If latinos voted 70% Republican the wall would have been built 30 years ago. If Voter ID laws lowered Republican turnout you would need an ID a Passport and your social security card to vote.

Any sane so called democracy should want every person to vote. Only one side is consistently trying to limit the number of people eligible or able to vote, shutting down polling locations, moving polling locations at the last minute, instituting voter ID law's while simultaneously making it harder to get an ID, purging eligible voters from registered voting rolls, supporting supreme Court justices who gutted the voting rights act allowing these things to happen, etc.

 

Stop being a fucking shill for anti (small "d") democratic policies.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Just change Columbus day to election day. No new holidays, just moving an existing on to coincide with elections. Ezpz

 

Even more woke: move election day to Columbus Day and shorten the election season by a month.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, CayceG said:

 

Even more woke: move election day to Columbus Day and shorten the election season by a month.

Galaxy brain: abolish elections and remove the need for election seasons. :skull:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, CayceG said:

 

Even more woke: move election day to Columbus Day and shorten the election season by a month.

An EVEN BETTER reason!

 

And I'm dead serious about getting rid of those Federal holidays I mentioned and substituting them with days people actually care about: the day after Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve or Boxing Day, and Good Friday or Easter Monday.

 

There really is no need to have both Memorial Day and Veterans' Day.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, SFLUFAN said:

An EVEN BETTER reason!

 

And I'm dead serious about getting rid of those Federal holidays I mentioned and substituting them with days people actually care about: the day after Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve or Boxing Day, and Good Friday or Easter Monday.

 

Don't feds get a good amount of vacation time though? I'm in that boat of having a lot of vacation time and getting days like the day after Thanksgiving but not getting all federal holidays, and I'd rather have to burn a day for things like day after Thanksgiving and get days like MLK Day instead for the three day weekends. January 1 to Memorial Day is particularly brutal in terms of no three day weekends.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Jason said:

 

Don't feds get a good amount of vacation time though? I'm in that boat of having a lot of vacation time and getting days like the day after Thanksgiving but not getting all federal holidays, and I'd rather have to burn a day for things like day after Thanksgiving and get days like MLK Day instead for the three day weekends. January 1 to Memorial Day is particularly brutal in terms of no three day weekends.

I really have no idea what Federal employee vacation time is like.

 

Because my firm works closely with the Federal government, we observe all the Federal holidays which totally sucks because why the hell do I want MLK Day or Presidents' Day off?  I've been trying for years to get my firm to convert MLK Day, Presidents' Day, and Veterans' Day into "floating" holidays that can be taken at any time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, SFLUFAN said:

I really have no idea what Federal employee vacation time is like.

 

Because my firm works closely with the Federal government, we observe all the Federal holidays which totally sucks because why the hell do I want MLK Day or Presidents' Day off?  I've been trying for years to get my firm to convert MLK Day, Presidents' Day, and Veterans' Day into "floating" holidays that can be taken at any time.

 

a day off where EVERYONE stops working > a day where only you're taking off and work is piling up on your desk for you when you get back :shrug:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jason said:

 

a day off where EVERYONE stops working > a day where only you're taking off and work is piling up on your desk for you when you get back :shrug:

As a man who has complained that daylight saving time throws you off for a while, I assumed you’d appreciate being able to tell someone on Thursday that you’re late with something that was due on Tuesday because you were off on Monday. :p

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...