Insanely cold Midwest weather

https://www.msn.com/en-us/weather/topstories/parts-of-midwest-could-feel-minus-60-wind-chills/ar-BBSQAZ3?ocid=AMZN

Heavy snowfall grounded flights and shuttered schools Monday in the Midwest, with worse on the way — Tuesday and Wednesday could be among Chicago's coldest days ever, with low temperatures forecast to be minus-18 and minus-21, respectively.

Chicago schools will be closed Wednesday, the school system said, while a decision on Tuesday's classes was still being considered Monday night. More than 1,400 flights were canceled Monday into and out of Chicago's O'Hare and Midway airports. More than 400 arrivals and departures on Tuesday were pre-emptively canceled.

Wind chill alerts extended across 14 states, from the northern Plains to the Ohio Valley.

At Town & Country Credit Union in Minot, North Dakota, the weather sign outside said it was minus-196 degrees on Monday. The credit union told NBC affiliate KFYR that a sensor was damaged.

The fact is that the wind chill was only minus-60.

Repeat: Minus-60.

Des Moines, Iowa, meanwhile, was forecast to shiver through wind chills of minus 50-degrees on Tuesday, according to the National Weather Service.

"The minus-40, -50, -60, you don't see that very often, and obviously you don't want to be outside any longer than you have to,” Frank Marcovis, co-owner of G&L Clothing in Des Moines, told NBC affiliate WHO.

A friend of mine moved about 3 weeks ago to Minnesota where her husband is from. The husband posted on FB the “feels like” temps in each, -46 there in Minnesota, 46 here in Houston.

:badass:

Working from home tomorrow, so I ain't gotta leave the house and I don't plan on it.

Forecast lows here are -24 tonight and -28 tomorrow night. Apparently the all time recorded low anywhere in the state of Illinois of -36 might potentially be broken somewhere in the northwest-ish part of the state.

Our stupid schools are closed tomorrow.  This shit gets so annoying. They close schools over anything these days. It wasn’t like this when I was a kid.

meh. My kid has an outdoor hockey practice on Thursday, but it should be normal January cold by then.

9 hours ago, ort said:

Our stupid schools are closed tomorrow.  This shit gets so annoying. They close schools over anything these days. It wasn’t like this when I was a kid.

meh. My kid has an outdoor hockey practice on Thursday, but it should be normal January cold by then.

I'm dealing with the same stuff with my kids school.  They had a bunch of days off at the beginning of school because it was 90 degrees outside.  I guess because at least 1 school in the district doesn't have air conditioning.  When I was a kid every room just had an oscillating fan in each room.  

My car wouldn't start this morning. Was -33 here overnight (without wind chill). In Canada almost everyone (including me) has a block heater in their car, and you plug it in overnight to keep your engine compartment warm (so your battery doesn't die, etc). Unfortunately I didn't plug mine in all the way. Now just waiting for the tow truck to come give me a boost!

• Sad 2

48 minutes ago, DarkStar189 said:

I'm dealing with the same stuff with my kids school.  They had a bunch of days off at the beginning of school because it was 90 degrees outside.  I guess because at least 1 school in the district doesn't have air conditioning.  When I was a kid every room just had an oscillating fan in each room.  

Teaching, and learning, in 90+ degree heat is just about useless. A lot of classrooms in my wife's last school had no air conditioning and it was the worst with 25-30+ kids. It just gets so hot and muggy you can't do anything productive. They also didn't have ceiling fans.

This building is so old (mid-late 50's) it was built with segregation in mind, as there are so many fucking bathrooms and water fountains. It also hasn't had a significant renovation since being built. 

7 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Ok, snark aside, the majority of people in virtually every single congressional district support some action on climate change. The problem is that it is not a huge priority for many voters.

Agreed, but we need extreme movement on this NOW - basically, we need to be going to DEFCON WAR on this shit, not subsidies or some nonsense. I need Trump voters on board that train. 

Just now, Greatoneshere said:

Agreed, but we need extreme movement on this NOW - basically, we need to be going to DEFCON WAR on this shit, not subsidies or some nonsense. I need Trump voters on board that train. 

Get some Republicans to do it. They're so fucking partisan, they only trust policy if it comes from them. And even that has limits

16 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

Instead, Brazil is gonna cut down the rainforest.

3 minutes ago, Jason said:

Instead, Brazil is gonna cut down the rainforest.

Yep. A cousin of mine lives in Brazil and doesn't seem to think Bolsonaro is a bad thing since he'll "help the economy" even after I explained how bad it will be for the planet.

Desiring money over long term goals to own yourself later. Sounds about right.