WarGroove - (Advance Wars-like from Chucklefish) Coming to a Platform Near You Starting Feb 1 - Featuring Cross-play (Including PS4 now!)

Keyser_Soze

Chucklefish, the fine developer's who brought you Starbound are bringing out a game that looks a lot like Advance Wars. This is coming to all platforms, PS4 at a later date, on February 1st.

Looks like in addition to single player it has co-op, multiplayer and a campaign editor. Developer also said it will have cross-play with all the platforms as well.

Gameplay trailer:

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

I just finished that PCGamesN review and thought it was kind of odd. He says it’s like Advance Wars, maybe better, but since battles are long and you can lose he gives it a fairly mediocre score. 😕

I dunno, this seemed pretty clear to me:

The scrum speaks to a larger problem with Wargroove, which is that RTS mechanics transposed to turn-based strategy – however simply – inevitably take far longer to play out. Matches can easily top an hour, which is fine if you’re winning, but can also lead to eventual defeats by a thousand cute cuts. Worse, the death of your general means instant defeat. For the most part this is a neat, chess-like design touch – but coupled with levels that introduce fog of war, it can lead to late-game ambushes that snatch victory away.

Losing an hour-long match that you lose thanks to some random shit coming out of the fog of war sounds like enough to make me hesitate on buying this if true. That's a long ass match to lose to some bullshit.

8 hours ago, Xbob42 said:

Losing an hour-long match that you lose thanks to some random shit coming out of the fog of war sounds like enough to make me hesitate on buying this if true. That's a long ass match to lose to some bullshit.

It seems pretty clear that he was frustrated with the game but gave a salty score. I think the RPS review is similar but in the end they said it is enjoyable.

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2019/01/30/wargroove-review/

I mean to say this game is as good as all advance wars games but I suck so I give it a low score is somewhat rotten.

I played the first 3 battles, which are kinda tutorials. The 3rd one was pretty challenging but I ended up winning. There are difficulty sliders so if the default difficulty is not to your liking you can turn them down.

The game looks really good, I think some great pixel art. The voice acting kinda reminds me of something from Disgaea, not a bad thing, just kind of  how it's throwing out quips here and there. :p

I'll probably play it more.

19 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

I played the first 3 battles, which are kinda tutorials. The 3rd one was pretty challenging but I ended up winning. There are difficulty sliders so if the default difficulty is not to your liking you can turn them down.

The game looks really good, I think some great pixel art. The voice acting kinda reminds me of something from Disgaea, not a bad thing, just kind of  how it's throwing out quips here and there. :p

I'll probably play it more.

I am having a similar experience, 4 stages in and enjoying it.  The game is slowly introducing units and mechanics, which is fine, but I am looking forward to getting into the 'meat' of the game.

On 1/31/2019 at 1:28 PM, Xbob42 said:

I kind of like that element of tactical danger... not too different from getting your base captured in advance wars due to poor defending... (or your CO dying in Days of Ruin).. to each his own i suppose

6 minutes ago, 5timechamp said:

I kind of like that element of tactical danger... not too different from getting your base captured in advance wars due to poor defending... (or your CO dying in Days of Ruin).. to each his own i suppose

Sure, but my bigger worry in games like this is that if I lose an hour of progress, redoing that fight won't feel much different, unlike, say, playing against a human opponent. There can be a real risk of things getting tedious.

• 2 weeks later...

I've put about 10 hours into this game and I suck at it, but I really enjoy it. :lol: For whatever reason I'm not finding it as easy to get into as Advance Wars was, maybe just because it is a bit more complicated, but the gameplay is undeniably fun. I'm about 50% of the way through the campaign, according to online guides, and I plan on continuing. 

• 2 weeks later...

New patch adds checkpoints and stuff

https://wargroove.com/qol-1-2-0-patch-out-tomorrow/

Checkpoint system:

• While playing in campaign mode, you can set a checkpoint in a mission
  • If you are defeated, you can retry from the checkpoint
  • You can set a checkpoint whenever you want, but you can only have one active at a time (the previous gets overwritten)

Difficulty system overhaul:

• Five difficulty presets, Story, Easy, Medium, Hard (Default) and Custom
  • Hard difficulty is the default, and is the standard rules of the game. It’s the only mode where you can obtain S-ranks
  • Medium difficulty is a bit easier and still lets you obtain up to 3 stars
  • Easy limits you at 2 stars
  • Story limits you at 1 star, and is VERY easy

Multiplayer:

• You can now add CPU players to online games
  • There’s now a message clarifying that you must join a match if you don’t have any in progress
  • A number of fixes to Quick Play timers
  • You can no longer suspend Quick Play matches and play other games in the meanwhile, since they’re supposed to be realtime
  • 9 maps designed specifically for co-op have been added
  • Fix issue where user’s couldn’t get into Online multiplayer
  • Fix issue were main menu could not be invoked during opponent’s/AI turn

General Quality of Life

• The effectiveness chart on unit info and recruit screens has been reworked to be far more readable and informative
  • Skipping battles, captures and cutscenes is now much faster
  • Display the S rank requirements on the overview screen for a mission
  • “Exit” has been renamed to “Suspend” to avoid confusion
  • You can now see teams on the Overview screen
  • Fix international text input on Switch
  • Display the Controller Select Applet on Switch less often
  • Add Korean font
  • Resigning will now destroy all units simultaneously instead of one at a time

New options:

• Add “Movement Speed” option that allow you to set all units to move faster
  • Add “Confirm End Turn” option to avoid accidental end of turn
  • Add “Damage Range” option to display minimum and maximum damage on previews, instead of average damage

Fog of War:

• Allies now share vision
  • Eliminated players can still see their team vision; eliminated teams become spectators
  • Spectators can view the current team’s vision
  • Hide enemy income and funds
  • Don’t spawn effects or show building colours inside fog of war
  • Don’t show battle and capture animations unless at least one of the units is visible to the current player
  • Fog of War now updates faster
  • Fix “sonar” bug that allowed you to obtain extra information within fog of war
  • Fix allies being able to move units into each other and becoming stuck

Fixes and tweaks:

• Fix Tenri’s groove charge rate to the intended value
  • Change Nuru’s groove so that unit costs double the Gold when summoned
  • Change Ryota’s groove to allow him to dash through his own units
  • Fix team options; all teams should display correctly in 2v2 matches
  • Fixes for Vines and Crystals acting as Units
  • Fix for 7-2; commanders no longer change team after suspending
  • Fix sound effects in Cutscene editor causing crash
  • Fix Cutscene Attack animations causing crash
  • Fix Empty dialogue event boxes causing crash
  • Layering of actors and props in Cutscene editor should now work as expected
  • Fix crash when entering non-numeric text into Counter events
  • Fix issue with Tutorial 1.3 where user could get stuck when asked to select a barrack  
  • Misc language fixes
  • Misc minor fixes

• 4 months later...
  • 5 months later...
On 7/23/2019 at 11:55 PM, Keyser_Soze said:

Out on the PS4 today, but no crossplay. Roffle

https://www.dualshockers.com/sony-ps4-cross-play-false-statement-wargroove/

Of course no cross play because Playstation does what Playstation wants. They are so behind the times. Please catch up with literally the entire REST OF THE INDUSTRY. Please and thank you. 

Not that they will, since the brand continues to sell bonkers numbers regardless of what they do. 

1 hour ago, GameDadGrant said:

Of course no cross play because Playstation does what Playstation wants. They are so behind the times. Please catch up with literally the entire REST OF THE INDUSTRY. Please and thank you. 

Not that they will, since the brand continues to sell bonkers numbers regardless of what they do. 

Thread is about the DLC now, gosh!

• 6 months later...

There is now crossplay on all platforms now!

Hey everyone,

As of today, Wargroove now features cross-play support between ALL platforms, including PS4, Nintendo Switch, Xbox One and PC. Wahoo! We're really happy to finally be able to complete our vision of one big, happy Wargroove community, as PS4 players now join the mix.

This means that no matter what platform of Wargroove you choose to battle on, you can enjoy competitive and cooperative multiplayer games, as well as share and play community-made maps online with friends.