Any wrestling fans starting to get a little excited for the possibilities of AEW?

The Dude

So for me this is the first time I've really been excited about something in the wrestling world since pretty much the days of the Monday night Wars. I have come to pretty much despise what wwe has become tbh, I think everything about its product is atrocious and AEW is actually starting to excite me with some of the things I've heard. 

For instance Ross and Mike Tenay I think are slated for commentary and that alone makes me absolutely stoked as your product is as good as your booth imho and I miss the storytelling voice of both Ross and Mike Tenay, more Ross than anything. 

Jericho signing is huge, Kenny omega looking to possibly sign so that he can work new japan as well, Goldberg spotted, Dolph ziggler is on a wwe hiatus with some speculation... 

Being backed by a billionaire is why I'm particularly getting excited as I feel having that type of funding can lead to some big names and prospects. 

Impact has grabbed me now and again but it doesn't have anywhere near what I'd consider a great roster and or commentary team, so that always let me down.

Maybe aew will flop, but at this point got me personally in excited to see what happens and see how a show pans out. If they can recapture a little of what used to make wrestling special I would be stoked. 

Not sure if theres an aew thread yet, I apologize if there is. But hopefully some of you are lookin forward to what they can strum together 

I'm excited because it means more opportunities for great wrestlers to shine. I feel WWE has done a great job of filling up their roster with amazing talent only to not do much with them. 

I like supporting the local wrestling scene like Bar Wrestling and PWG in my area. So I hope having a new promotion will mean a lot of those indie wrestlers will have the opportunity to be seen on a nation wide level. Also Young Bucks, Kenny Omega, Cody and Jericho have been putting on phenomenal matches the past several years. Can't wait to see them be even more successful.

There's still a lot to be desired in terms of them making a good company. I mean, it's great they're signing some good talent, but wrestling is a pageantry that needs a lot of things to make it successful.

-They need good theme music for their wrestlers - so why not sign Jim Johnston?

-They need good bookers who have a classic sense as well as a new sense of story telling. Jim Cornette would be a good consultant to sign (although I think he hates every wrestler signed so far, lol). But Jim and Tommy Dreamer and maybe even Jim's podcast partner Brian (whatever his name is) would be good to have associated with AEW just because they know so much of the past in wrestling

-Commentators. I think I read once that Ross and Tenay were signed, but I never heard that news again

-Championship belts - How many? What will they be called? What will they look like? Who will design them? The NXT titles are probably the best looking belts in any company atm. But it could be very easy to design something as ugly as the WWE main championship belts, or even the new UFC championship belts

And there's still a few more pieces to think of - interviewers, ring announcers, video game companies, t-shirt designs, ring rope/mat colors, etc

I'm excited for a new company, definitely. But there's a lot that isn't being talked about that isn't increasing my excitement in the right way yet

Oh I agree theres a ton that's needed, but I definitely feel having the backing to do so with money is key to landing the proper puzzle pieces. 

I would do anything for them to get Jim Johnston, that'd be a dream come true as I feel one of the things that hurt modern day wrestling is the total lack of good entrance music and memorable songs, among the lack of good storylines and personas and any type of meaningful content. 

I just recently caught news about Ross and Tenay, like last week I believe and that really got me pumped because it very much makes sense for them to get familiar voices to help sell the product. I hate the wwe commentary so very much. 

As for everything else I think we will just have to see, hopefully they're smart with belts by not having 100 of them. World championship belt, an ic equivalent, tag team and maybe 1 more. Keep it simple and keep the belts meaningful. 

The reasons I'm pumped are two fold tho as this might be what actually motivates wwe to make some changes as well to their stale, awful product. 

Even hearing who AEW is signing and looking to sign has been more interesting than wwe in 15 years or so, least for me. 

There is some definite possibility to shake things up, hopefully they can land a solid TV deal.

WWE has gotten stale and their roster is overstacked, a lot of really talented wrestlers get little to no screen time because there just are too many people to try and cram into one show every week.

2 hours ago, elbobo said:

There is some definite possibility to shake things up, hopefully they can land a solid TV deal.

WWE has gotten stale and their roster is overstacked, a lot of really talented wrestlers get little to no screen time because there just are too many people to try and cram into one show every week.

Really "one show a week"?

1. Monday Night Raw

2. Smackdown

3. 205 Live

4. NXT

5. NXT UK

6. Main Event

16 minutes ago, Remarkableriots said:

Really "one show a week"?

1. Monday Night Raw

2. Smackdown

3. 205 Live

4. NXT

5. NXT UK

6. Main Event

each of those shows have their own rosters for the most part though, RAW people aren't showing up on Smackdown and vice versa. I guarantee you could drop 20% of the raw and smackdown rosters and never even notice and that is not even taking into account the number of people in NXT that could have been called up years ago. WWE has a ton of people under contract solely for the purpose of making sure they don't go to a competing fed.  

15 minutes ago, elbobo said:

each of those shows have their own rosters for the most part though, RAW people aren't showing up on Smackdown and vice versa. I guarantee you could drop 20% of the raw and smackdown rosters and never even notice and that is not even taking into account the number of people in NXT that could have been called up years ago. WWE has a ton of people under contract solely for the purpose of making sure they don't go to a competing fed.  

They also have dark matches and non televised shows they need wrestlers for.

To me I think the art of buildup has been lost. I loved when there were 5 ppvs a year and one show a week, maybe 2. And the buildup was just so much more realistic and fun. Now you see them exchange finishers 20 times a week and that even started back in the attitude era but everything was so good it was ok. 

4 minutes ago, The Dude said:

To me I think the art of buildup has been lost. I loved when there were 5 ppvs a year and one show a week, maybe 2. And the buildup was just so much more realistic and fun. Now you see them exchange finishers 20 times a week and that even started back in the attitude era but everything was so good it was ok. 

NXT only has 3 or 4 Takeovers a year so they do a lot of build up.

Watching the RR this weekend just made me sad. Styles/Bryan matches should be instant classics every time they step in the ring together, that match was boring as shit.

Takeover, at least from a wrestling perspective is so much better. Even my girlfriend was enjoying the matches. Then RR happens and most of the singles matches were boring. 

So I'm definitely excited to see if they can do things right. TNA going down the shitter sucks, because even up until a few years ago it was a nice alternative. 

8 minutes ago, The Dude said:

To me it's the first time since WCW that I actually feel there's potential for something big and something that might actually help the product, and perhaps give wrestling a spark or edge again. 

Yea, there’s definitely a reason that WWE confiscates AEW signs and makes people in the audience take off AEW shirts. They’re worried for the first time in a long time.

• 2 weeks later...

First saw Pentagon in Lucha Underground, fucking amazing. Then there was his match with Omega at All In last year, total barn burner! Have been lucky to catch him & Fenix in a few matches on TNA (pretty much the only reason why I'll tune in is if I know they're on)...but now TNA streams on freaking Twitch so yeah

I understand why they would want to use Jericho in the main-event since he is almost assuredly the most well know wrestler in the company and will draw a lot of attention to the event but saddling Omega who is arguably the best in ring worker in the world with someone that is pushing 50 could go poorly. 

I've heard so much about AEW, but since I don't follow wrestling closely right now, I have no idea why there's so much hype. Please school the n00b. :pray:

On 1/28/2019 at 7:08 AM, elbobo said:

It's not even the too many people. When it was two hours but half the roster of potential main eventers, they always short-changed a bunch of people. Their problem is pacing, where matches will go on past the commercial break regularly (I'm assuming that's still the case now), instead of creating shorter matches (they don't even have to be Attitude Era short). If the matches weren't so long, they could do more. Does Raw really need to have two segments devoted to Becky Lynch being told to apologize? That kind of thing. They could probably actually do two hours but give more people time to shine and improve the pacing.

22 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

I've heard so much about AEW, but since I don't follow wrestling closely right now, I have no idea why there's so much hype. Please school the n00b. :pray:

It's not even the too many people. When it was two hours but half the roster of potential main eventers, they always short-changed a bunch of people. Their problem is pacing, where matches will go on past the commercial break regularly (I'm assuming that's still the case now), instead of creating shorter matches (they don't even have to be Attitude Era short). If the matches weren't so long, they could do more. Does Raw really need to have two segments devoted to Becky Lynch being told to apologize? That kind of thing. They could probably actually do two hours but give more people time to shine and improve the pacing.

It’s backed by a lot of money, has top guys, is poaching/attempting to poach misused WWE talent, being run by Cody Rhodes and the guys who set-up the sell out show “All In”, and should be getting a TV deal. It has the potential to be an actual WWE competitor that could, eventually, start a new brand war akin to the WCW days.

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

It’s backed by a lot of money, has top guys, is poaching/attempting to poach misused WWE talent, being run by Cody Rhodes and the guys who set-up the sell out show “All In”, and should be getting a TV deal. It has the potential to be an actual WWE competitor that could, eventually, start a new brand war akin to the WCW days.

Thanks.

I do wonder how it'll do since I remember when TNA moved to Monday nights, and I was really hoping they could be competitive with WWE, but someone on IGN brought up to me that it's hard to compare TNA with WCW because WCW had more years in the industry and a larger fan base it built before Nitro was a thing. With this, it seems WAY newer, so it still might be a wait before we get something that's a threat to WWE.

Then again, I've been of the opinion that, even with no big wrestling organization to threaten them, they still have to compete with what's on, whether it's a UFC event, the NFL, the NBA, what have you. But since there's a hardcore wrestling base that wants to watch SOMETHING good that's wrestling, maybe it would hit them harder if the hardcore fans felt they didn't have to follow WWE at all.

That last part was rambling shit that I've thought about and not that important. :p 

24 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

Thanks.

I do wonder how it'll do since I remember when TNA moved to Monday nights, and I was really hoping they could be competitive with WWE, but someone on IGN brought up to me that it's hard to compare TNA with WCW because WCW had more years in the industry and a larger fan base it built before Nitro was a thing. With this, it seems WAY newer, so it still might be a wait before we get something that's a threat to WWE.

Then again, I've been of the opinion that, even with no big wrestling organization to threaten them, they still have to compete with what's on, whether it's a UFC event, the NFL, the NBA, what have you. But since there's a hardcore wrestling base that wants to watch SOMETHING good that's wrestling, maybe it would hit them harder if the hardcore fans felt they didn't have to follow WWE at all.

That last part was rambling shit that I've thought about and not that important. :p 

TNA was mismanaged to hell and any time they grabbed some low/mid-carder that WWE released they’d put them as their top talent jobbing out all of their homegrown guys to them. Going head-to-head with WWE was hubris and suicide for TNA, they were never much of a competitor tbh when you look at their event numbers and TV ratings.