Is there anything worse than playing an old favorite and realizing how terribly it aged?

Chris-

I loved the Sony platformers growing up - Ratchet, Sly, Jak, the whole lot. A few months ago I got the original Jak & Daxter on PSN, and today I finally got around to booting it up...And man, it did not age well. I don't mind the graphics and sound design (an upscaled PS2 game is fine by me), but the camera and camera control (or lack thereof) is absolutely terrible. I can only control the camera horizontally? I can't control it indoors? It will adjust itself seemingly at random? Obviously I didn't mind any of this 15+ years ago, but in this day and age I can't handle it. I played it for like 20 minutes and I don't see myself playing any more, which bums me out because I was really looking forward to revisiting the game.

20 minutes ago, Mercury33 said:

Yeah. Playing a game you’ve been waiting to play for years, paid $60 and realized it’s complete and utter garbage within an hour. Looking at you Red Dead. 

I know how you feel, except I haven't played it since the first of November, because I couldn't get into it.

Honestly, I should probably sell it while it still has some value, but I'll end up giving it another try at some point.

I had this experience with Onimusha 2 recently. I remember loving this game dearly in the PS2 era and going back to it was a huge downer. I must've become a gaming god because I breezed through it and it kind of revealed just how recycled its areas are, how bizarre and obtuse the bartering system is and...basically everything else being pretty weak compared to the first game. 

Big boo.

• Like 1

On 1/28/2019 at 12:05 PM, XxEvil AshxX said:

When RARE Replay came out I was like "sweet! Jet Force Gemini!"

Then I spent about 10 minutestrying to aim.

:badass:

I just got an Xbox One courtesy of Keyser, and while I'm probably going to go through a big backlog of PlayStation 4 games before I get to the Xbox, that's one game I do want to get. Of course I never played jet for so I don't have to worry about being disappointed there.

On ‎1‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 6:30 PM, Mercury33 said:

Yeah. Playing a game you’ve been waiting to play for years, paid $60 and realized it’s complete and utter garbage within an hour. Looking at you Red Dead. 

I'm sad to say at end of chapter 3 and said F this, I'm buying Horizon Zero Dawn.  I now remember why I liked video games.  Although, the dialog...YIKES!

Cancer might be worse. 

I know I have had this happen to me, I just do not remember specific games at the moment. 

One of my problems from a gaming perspective is I can get bored very quickly going back and replaying old games, these days anyways. The issue is when there isn’t anything new to accomplish. 

I can can get addicted to a game like Destiny over and over when new pieces of cheese are added to make me run on the wheel again. But once I have eaten all the cheese I care about, I start to get bored. 

This is is something that really started as I got older. As a kid, or in high school, I could replay a game over and over and over again. Go back through the previous entries, and then play through the new one all over again.

TLDR: I can’t remember which game made me feel this way, though I know one has. It has been too long since I have replayed an old game like that though. 

58 minutes ago, Slug said:

I tried to play the original Dragon Warrior (Dragon Quest) on NES a few months ago.  :nervous:  It...didn't go well.

The mobile version looks like it's based on the Super Famicom version (there's a fan translation if you want to play the SFC version) so if the problem was graphics, sound, and/or progression (I think the SFC version doubles EXP) you can have a more enjoyable experience if you really want to play it.

The main issues I've had with old games tend to be with resolution and how that affects what you can see. In old RTS games for example, you're so zoomed in with the low resolution that it's hard to see what's going on and you have to scroll like crazy.

I bought a Playstation 1 Classic recently (I know, I know, but it was only $40) and I've been going through some of the games. Jumping Flash is hilarious. Grand Theft Auto 1 is so weird knowing where the series ended up. Ridge Racer R4 actually holds up surprisingly well - thought I'd do a couple races, ended up playing a whole campaign. 

The standout for me however is destruction derby. This is one of the first ps1 games I owned, and I remember it quite fondly. It was the first game I tried on the classic, and boy oh boy this thing should not even be considered a game any more. Controls are awful, graphics are awful, mechanics are awful - it's pretty crazy to think I once loved this game and sunk tons of time into it. Really, really bad. 

6 minutes ago, Dre801 said:

Has not happened yet.  Now, I have gone back and played old NES games and I'm like, "How the fuck was I able to beat this game?"

That is no lie.  Games from that gen were hard.  I feel like if Celeste came out for the NES you would have had 3 lives and 2 continues... and somehow people would have beat it.

2 hours ago, number305 said:

That is no lie.  Games from that gen were hard.  I feel like if Celeste came out for the NES you would have had 3 lives and 2 continues... and somehow people would have beat it.

That's because those games were short and adding a save system cost money on actual, physical hardware. Game length was inflated by just making them hard and require multiple playthroughs, and nobody complained because it was worse in arcades.

I beat the first Zelda and the second quest without a strategy guide back in the 80s, but current me bitches about a hidden areas in Hollow Knight are hard to find.

4 hours ago, mo1518 said:

The standout for me however is destruction derby. This is one of the first ps1 games I owned, and I remember it quite fondly. It was the first game I tried on the classic, and boy oh boy this thing should not even be considered a game any more. Controls are awful, graphics are awful, mechanics are awful - it's pretty crazy to think I once loved this game and sunk tons of time into it. Really, really bad. 

The second one is 100% better. The first is a cool novelty but the second one is what made it turn into a game.