~*Official Venezuela Slow-Motion Coup/Elliot Abrams War Criminal Thread*~

This isn’t a slight against Canada, but it makes me kind of sad that not knowing anything about this situation, I only felt any comfort that America was choosing the correct path because Canada did it too.

4 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

This isn’t a slight against Canada, but it makes me kind of sad that not knowing anything about this situation, I only felt any comfort that America was choosing the correct path because Canada did it too.

I did a little quick research on the opposition party and they seem to be centrist. This is what Venezuela needs right now, I think.

Sounds like most Western Hemisphere nations are siding with the new interim President.  Hopefully Brazil and Colombia can handle anything that gets out of hand on their own.  The last thing the US needs, and South America for that matter, is to have the US exert military pressure on the situation. 

4 minutes ago, Jose said:

I honestly didnt expect RedSox fan to be pro Maduro lol. Even for him that is cray.

One can be suspicious/wary of American motives in a Latin American nation and not be pro-Maduro, which is essentially my position.

My feeling about this is practically identical to my feelings about Libya in 2011: none of our goddamned business.

6 minutes ago, SFLUFAN said:

One can be suspicious/wary of American motives in a Latin American nation and not be pro-Maduro, which is essentially my position.

My feeling about this is practically identical to my feelings about Libya in 2011: none of our goddamned business.

Fair enough, but his posts definitely imply that he supports Maduro.

2 hours ago, SFLUFAN said:

I thought your position was starvation?  Or were you just being a tough guy who needs a new Gillette razor? 

10 minutes ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

Generally/genuinely ignorant here. What did the US do to intervene in Venezuela?

In 2002, the United States supported an abortive military coup against Hugo Chavez and has subsequently tried to undermine both Chavez's and his successor Maduro's regime.

Now, no one should even consider that the regime is "clean" or transparent by any stretch of the imagination - even the UN declared that the last election held in May 2018 was an absolute farce so no one should rush to "support" it.

Yesterday, the US/Canada/OAS/France/etc. recognized the president of the National Assembly as the "legitimate" interim president of Venezuela after he self-declared himself as such.

5 minutes ago, SFLUFAN said:

In 2002, the United States supported an abortive military coup against Chavez and has subsequently tried to undermine both Chavez's and his successor Maduro's regime.

Now, no one should even consider that the regime is "clean" or transparent by any stretch of the imagination - even the UN declared that the last election held in May 2018 was an absolute farce so no one should rush to "support" it.

Yesterday, the US/Canada/OAS/France/etc. recognized the president of the National Assembly as the "legitimate" interim president of Venezuela after he self-declared himself as such.

Thanks. The bold is what I need more detail explanation on if anybody has it. I'm aware of the tension with Chavez in the early 2000s. A friend of mine is blowing up over this. "The CIA is trying to assassinate Maduro like they did Chavez." "We're prepping to invade Venezuela." Etc. etc. when I don't see any strong indicators of that.

1 minute ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

Thanks. The bold is what I need more detail explanation on if anybody has it. I'm aware of the tension with Chavez in the early 2000s. A friend of mine is blowing up over this. "The CIA is trying to assassinate Maduro like they did Chavez." "We're prepping to invade Venezuela." Etc. etc. when I don't see any strong indicators of that.

Political and economic sanctions on regime members have been the main tools used against the regime.

• Thanks 1