The Thread of Sensible Chuckles

Jason

On 7/12/2018 at 11:55 AM, Emblazon said:

IPAs are the laziest beer a brewmaster can make. It's why they're everywhere and dirt cheap. The general masses just have poor taste. 

If IPAs were a movie franchise, they'd be the Tyler Perry movies. :lol:

Have you somehow missed the last few years of dramatic IPA evolution in this country? IPA's arent even bitter anymore.

On 7/14/2018 at 7:33 AM, Chris- said:

IPAs are good (especially hazy), but they are overplayed; the problem isn't the beer itself, it's that every microbrewery insists on making 75% of their taps some sort of IPA. 

Five years ago it was definitely way too common to walk into a bar with a dozen draft lines and every single one would be an IPA or other hoppy style of beer. I've been very happy with goses becoming popular, both because I've had a longstanding like of gose and sour beer in general and because other than a couple of breweries that seem to want to specialize in sour beer, it doesn't seem to be completely taking over production capacity the way IPA did.

The hazy/juicy Northeast IPAs also need to be consumed fresh even more than other types of IPA do, which I think has helped IPAs in general in terms of making sure that you're actually drinking fresh IPA. I remember what things were like before Stone started doing Enjoy By, it was way too common to find old/poorly-kept IPA on the shelf; and then Stone started doing Enjoy By and I realized that fresh IPA was actually interesting.

4 hours ago, Jason said:

Five years ago it was definitely way too common to walk into a bar with a dozen draft lines and every single one would be an IPA or other hoppy style of beer. I've been very happy with goses becoming popular, both because I've had a longstanding like of gose and sour beer in general and because other than a couple of breweries that seem to want to specialize in sour beer, it doesn't seem to be completely taking over production capacity the way IPA did.

The hazy/juicy Northeast IPAs also need to be consumed fresh even more than other types of IPA do, which I think has helped IPAs in general in terms of making sure that you're actually drinking fresh IPA. I remember what things were like before Stone started doing Enjoy By, it was way too common to find old/poorly-kept IPA on the shelf; and then Stone started doing Enjoy By and I realized that fresh IPA was actually interesting.

Just curious because I'm not sure is Guinness Blonde a goses type beer? Any recommendations of that type of beer I should try out?