2019 Oscars Thread

Even if there wasn’t another option for director, they should have gone with 4 instead of McKay getting a nomination for Vice. Whether you ultimately like it or not...the direction is pedestrian. The film lives and dies on Bale’s work and you can’t convince me McKay had a single thing to do with Bale’s great moments.

• 1 month later...
On 1/22/2019 at 12:18 PM, ALIEN-gunner said:

Black Panther wasn't even that good of a movie. I hope there's a sequel with a better fleshed out story. I enjoyed it one time but Oscar material? No way. 

IMO one of the best things about Black Panther was that instead of going for a villain, they went for an antagonist who was definitely a Bad Dude, but whose motivations at least made sense and were relatable--and more importantly, comprehensible. So many of these movies have villains/antagonists where it's not really super clear why they care enough to do what they're doing.

But that's more of a knock on most of the other MCU movies than it is praise of Black Panther.

Spidey beat Incredibles 2. VERY happy to see that!

I usually root for the Pixar film because it's typically the best animated film I'll see in a given year and usually one of the best I've seen of a year, period. But Spidey was a remarkable achievement and, interestingly enough, the better of the animated superhero movies.

Miller and Lord getting an Oscar in a category dominated by Disney (including two noms this year) after the way Disney used their influence with trade journalists to plant stories of their incompetence on Solo was the highlight of the awards season for me.

And Spiderverse was brilliant and wholly deserving.

2 hours ago, Chris- said:

I'm pleasantly surprised 'Free Solo' won for Best Documentary, I thought the on-going hagiography would give it to 'RBG'.

I just saw Free Solo the other night and thought it was fantastic. 

I especially enjoyed that it's ending shot felt so genuinely judgment-free and that it celebrated him for who he is, warts and all. Really a quite beautiful testament to artistry, and its flawed characters, as a whole is what I got out of it. 

And I thought Green Book looked stupid based on the trailer despite really liking both main actors a lot, especially Ali. 

12 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

The Oscars are ALWAYS transparent pandering.

It can’t be restated enough: the oscars are a trade association awards banquet. They exist solely for the industry to market itself. It’s not about art.

56 minutes ago, Brick said:

Green Book clearly won only because of a voting technicality. 

I guess it could be described that way. It’s more that there were no overwhelming favorites, so movies that were ranked really high on most ballots can end up winning even if they weren’t the top choice on a majority of ballots. I can imagine Green Book being a top 3 choice on a lot of ballots, even if something else got more first place votes.

Just from a pure entertainment perspective that Oscars was garbage.  Queen, Gaga and Coopers performance were great and the best actress speech was great.  Everything else was a boring mess.  And I get wanting to keep the show from running over but the level of rude that they've reached with straight up cutting people off is ridiculous.  Also if you're gonna have a set amount of time then give the same amount to everyone.  Some of the technical guys are much more entertaining that the self righteous god is good garbage that actors spew out.

The Good:

Olivia Colman with the biggest upset of the night. Glenn Close probably deserves an Oscar, but Colman put in the best performance of the year. She was obviously completely shocked by her win and it was adorable.

Spike Lee wins an Oscar. Cool to see him win an Oscar after getting an honorary one.

Shallow. I think the staging and the camera work for the Shallow performance was better than the entirety of Bohemian Rhapsody.

Spider-Verse is a winner in this universe.

First Man wins for Effects. I'm glad it got something.

Alfonso Cuarón. Yeah, he didn't win Best Picture, but Director, Foreign Language, and Cinematography is still a good night. All well deserved.

The Meh:

Little about the show itself stood out, but nothing was terrible either. If the template going forward is just giving out awards and less bad comedy, I'm all for it.

I like Rami Malek. If there was any part of Bohemian Rhapsody that deserved any attention it was him. I'm happy he has an Oscar. He did not deserve it for this film.

I could say pretty much the same thing about Mahershala Ali. He's a great actor. He's proven that over and over again. He didn't deserve an Oscar for this film.

The Bad:

Did they seriously give Bohemian Rhapsody four Oscars just for playing a bunch of Queen music? Did no one listen to First Man or Roma or A Star is Born?

Green Book wins Original screenplay over The Favourite and First Reformed?! Just a reminder that Paul Schrader wrote Taxi Driver and Raging Bull and this was his first nomination.

The Horror:

Green Book is the worst Best Picture winner of my lifetime. Better films typically endure without awards attention, but it's still a shame to see such an unworthy film etched into history.