2019 Oscars Thread

https://deadline.com/2019/01/oscar-nominations-2019-academy-award-nominees-list-1202538943/

BEST PICTURE

Black Panther

BlacKkKlansman

Bohemian Rhapsody

The Favourite

Green Book

Roma

A Star Is Born

Vice

BEST DIRECTOR

BlacKkKlansman - Spike Lee

Cold War - Paweł Pawlikowski

The Favourite - Yorgos Lanthimos

Roma - Alfonso Cuarón

Vice - Adam McKay

ACTOR

Christian Bale, Vice

Bradley Cooper, A Star Is Born

Willem Dafoe, At Eternity’s Gate

Rami Malek, Bohemian Rhapsody

Viggo Mortensen, Green Book

ACTRESS

Yalitza Aparicio, Roma

Glenn Close, The Wife

Olivia Colman, The Favourite

Lady Gaga, A Star Is Born

Melissa McCarthy, Can You Ever Forgive Me?

Black Panther had nearly a full year of “the academy can’t ignore this one” going for it. Vice is the one that really bugs me. Acting and makeup, sure. Those are the only reasons to watch that movie. 

I knew it didn’t have much of a chance, but I was hoping for Eighth Grade to get something.

Shit, why did they pick Black Klansmen over Beale Street? While I dont think Panther deserves a best picture nod, I can get why it got one. It was a legit cultural phenomenon and it made a shit ton of money. The Academy pays attention to stuff like that. Saying it was a "diversity pick" while ignoring that the best Black movie of the year got snubbed shows a fundamental lack of understanding as to how the Academy works. By nominating Black Panther, they kill several birds with one stone.

There have been other superhero movies far more deserving of a best picture nod than this film though... but at the end if the day, The Oscars have been irrelevant for decades. Who gives a shit?

1 minute ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Shit, why did they pick Black Klansmen over Beale Street? While I dont think Panther deserves a best picture nod, I can get why it got one. It was a legit cultural phenomenon and it made a shit ton of money. The Academy pays attention to stuff like that. Saying it was a "diversity pick" while ignoring that the best Black movie of the year got snubbed shows a fundamental lack of understanding as to how the Academy works. By nominating Black Panther, the kill several birds with one stone.

There have been other superhero movies far more deserving of a best picture nod than this film though... but at the end if the day, The Oscars have been irrelevant for decades. Who gives a shit?

Klansman was legitimately good. Panther was merely fun. I'm not saying it was solely a diversity pick, but it was certainly a factor. I'm sure the fact that it was hugely successful certainly helped as you mentioned since they apparently want to take that into account now. I'm just bummed Beale Street didnt get nominated. 

3 minutes ago, Jose said:

Klansman was legitimately good. Panther was merely fun. I'm not saying it was solely a diversity pick, but it was certainly a factor. I'm sure the fact that it was hugely successful certainly helped as you mentioned since they apparently want to take that into account now. I'm just bummed Beale Street didnt get nominated. 

I can't get why Beale Street didn't get nominated... it was one of the best films I saw last year. Did it not do well at the box office? Maybe the studio didn't market it well enough to Academy members and they just didn't see it. Members have to see the films to vote on them and if the money isn't there, then you probably won't get a nod. Something similar may have happened to "Wont You Be My Neighbor".

9 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I can't get why Beale Street didn't get nominated... it was one of the best films I saw last year. Did it not do well at the box office? Maybe the studio didn't market it well enough to Academy members and they just didn't see it. Members have to see the films to vote on them and if the money isn't there, then you probably won't get a nod. Something similar may have happened to "Wont You Be My Neighbor".

I’d be curious to see what went behind Won’t You Be My Neighbor getting snubbed because it was the highest grossing doc of the year.

34 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Beale Street has a box office total of $10.8 million against a budget of $12 million.

BlacKkKlansman and Black Panther but no If Beale Street Could Talk, Blindspotting (could you imagine if the Academy ever selected this?), Sorry to Bother You (same as with Blindspotting), Widows, or The Hate U Give? Definitely feels like some snubs there as we had some great films by black filmmakers, etc.

Eighth Grade, mid90s, and First Reformed all getting the shaft feel like snubs too (among so many others I can think of). But its the Oscars, this is par for the course. No nomination for Hawke for First Reformed is criminal.

12 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

I loved Blackkklansmen, but it got nominated just for the anti-Trump coda.

That coda, within the context of the movie, was most emotionally intense experience I’ve had in a theater in years. Spike Lee made the whole movie for that coda. Choices he makes throughout the movie are made so that the coda is as effective as possible. The coda is very much tied into the whole movie. You’re probably right, but to me the coda is what makes the movie stand out to me. It IS the movie.

7 minutes ago, sexy_shapiro said:

That coda, within the context of the movie, was most emotionally intense experience I’ve had in a theater in years. Spike Lee made the whole movie for that coda. Choices he makes throughout the movie are made so that the coda is as effective as possible. The coda is very much tied into the whole movie. You’re probably right, but to me the coda is what makes the movie stand out to me. It IS the movie.

The silence in the room during it, which continued even as we all walked out of the auditorium...unforgettable for me. 

Wow, Roma and The Favorite both got a ton of noms, with some of them unexpected. I didn't think Roma would get Best Actress or that Yorgos Lanthimos would get a Directing nom.

First Reformed got a well deserved Screenplay nod.

Paweł Pawlikowski got a nom for Directing Cold War.

Best Documentary was packed this year. I thought that Won't You Be My Neighbor was the favorite to win, and it didn't get a nod. I would have liked to have seen Shirkers get nominated, but

I haven't seen Hal County or Fathers and Sons.

I didn't think much of the cinematography of A Star is Born. I'd like to have seen First Man or If Beale Street Could Talk.

Vice got 8 noms. Yuck.

-----

I feel like this year, more so than most others, the films I loved didn't get any recognition at all.

Widows, Eight Grade, Burning, The Rider, Leave No Trace, First Man (which did get some technical noms), Blindspotting, Death of Stalin, Sorry to Bother You, Hereditary.

---

Since Green Book is going to win, I suppose I should see it.

Also,

Honestly,  this was a weak year for "Oscar Caliber" films... a lot of the films I see being cited as being snubbed weren't much better than what got nominated. Granted, there's still a couple I need to see, but Beale Street was the one that stood out to me the most out of what i saw personally. Shit, I could make a case for A Quiet Place.

3 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Honestly,  this was a weak year for "Oscar Caliber" films... a lot of the films I see being cited as being snubbed weren't much better than what got nominated. Granted, there's still a couple I need to see, but Beale Street was the one that stood out to me the most out of what i saw personally. Shit, I could make a case for A Quiet Place.

We've got the eye-rollingly liberal wankfest known as Vice taking up a slot.  That alone is infuriating.

1 hour ago, sblfilms said:

I loved Blackkklansmen, but it got nominated just for the anti-Trump coda.

I have to disagree here. That sequence showing the klan shouting white power and the students chanting black power was powerful, emotional, and brilliant. The protagonist was interesting and conflicted. The romance was a good story. Etc.