Recommend me a cheap eshop game

JosephManderley

Back in the swing of things gaming wise as my life is getting back on track.  I will be finished with Pokemon in a few days and so fancy picking up a cheap (let's say 20 dollars or less) eshop game this weekend.

My favourite indie games are Stardew Valley, Golf Story and Graceful Explosion Machine.  Something similar to any of those would be great.

So what's good?

While it's not similar to the games that you mentioned, I highly recommend Into the Breach.  It's a brilliantly designed, straightforward but extremely deep tactics/puzzle game similar to Advance Wars.  It's probably the best $15 that I've spent on the Switch.

I also really like Inside and Hyper Light Drifter, which are now both out on Switch (assuming you haven't played them on other systems) and should be around that price.

2 hours ago, Amazatron said:

Battle Chef Brigade

Undertale

Celeste

55 minutes ago, ShreddieMercuryRising said:

I also really like Inside and Hyper Light Drifter, which are now both out on Switch (assuming you haven't played them on other systems) and should be around that price.

I can highly recommend these games as well.

2 minutes ago, GameDadGrant said:

No one will recommend this, but I highly recommend Pocket Rumble. It’s a 2D fighter. 

Dead Cells is good, I’ve heard. 

I bought Dead Cells a little while back after the price dropped to $25 (I believe it released at $40).  I've been oscillating between thinking it's incredible and thinking that it's too difficult and repetitive.  The way that it forces you to play differently almost every single time by virtue of the randomized weapon drops is really cool, and I have yet to find an easily exploitable strategy.  You constantly have to make decisions about which of three main stats to increase, and which weapons will complement others. 

However, permadeath means that you're constantly retreading the same (randomized) areas over and over again, and even when you're doing well, you'll run into an enemy or boss whose patterns take several tries to learn, resulting in death and a restart.  Add to that the length of time that it takes to purchase permanent upgrades and it can be a pretty grindy and frustrating experience.  I may just not be skilled enough to really break through and have the game click, hence my experience, but I have enjoyed my time with it much more than with similar recent 2D action platform games (Hollow Knight in particular).