Curious to see how many men on here find it offensive

Triage

The ad is basically saying "don't be a bully, don't sexually harass people, etc." If you feel personally attacked by an ad saying men shouldn't do those kinds of things, I'm going to assume that you take part in those kinds of actions.

There's a conversation to be had about the value of a moral message in advertising in general, but I can't say I'm offended by anything in the ad itself.

• Like 1

I am kinda like "so all men are monsters, huh?"And I am kinda with whoever this guy is.

22977dfaefa3fd96bf5e768b5ed344c0.png

Saw this on The Philip DeFranco show, but I don't feel this strongly about it. Mainly because it does feel partially like, "ALL MEN MUST CHANGE," but I don't think that was the intent. I mostly dislike their use of this message to sell razors. Feels similar to that pepsi shit with whatever jenner. 

55 minutes ago, TwinIon said:

The ad is basically saying "don't be a bully, don't sexually harass people, etc."

I see it as "Men, you need to stop being a bully, stop sexually harassing people, etc." And I think that is where the outrage is, or was at this point. 

1 hour ago, TwinIon said:

The ad is basically saying "don't be a bully, don't sexually harass people, etc." If you feel personally attacked by an ad saying men shouldn't do those kinds of things, I'm going to assume that you take part in those kinds of actions.

There's a conversation to be had about the value of a moral message in advertising in general, but I can't say I'm offended by anything in the ad itself.

This was basically how my husband felt about it.

It's nice being married to a guy who doesn't think he has to be an asshole to be a man.

39 minutes ago, Bacon said:

I am kinda like "so all men are monsters, huh?"And I am kinda with whoever this guy is.

22977dfaefa3fd96bf5e768b5ed344c0.png

Saw this on The Philip DeFranco show, but I don't feel this strongly about it. Mainly because it does feel partially like, "ALL MEN MUST CHANGE," but I don't think that was the intent. I mostly dislike their use of this message to sell razors. Feels similar to that pepsi shit with whatever jenner. 

I see it as "Men, you need to stop being a bully, stop sexually harassing people, etc." And I think that is where the outrage is, or was at this point. 

But it also shows men that stop harassment and bullying and says that some men already do that (the right deeds). Not once says all Men. 

It's a company whose tagline has always been "the best a man can be". If their tagline had been "free your skin", then it would feel weird or out of left field. 

The moral message fits their message--be better, and be better with our product. 

As others have said--if the ad offends you, perhaps it's time for some introspection. 

I have a friend who has been posting all kinds of stuff about masculinity and why it's needed since this ad came out. He's laughed at my jokes about all of it, but he still says he's never buying Gillette again.

I think he missed the point of the ad.

Also, I quit buying Gillette a while back and switched to DSC. I have no regrets thus far.

6 minutes ago, Triage said:

But it also shows men that stop harassment and bullying and says that some men already do that (the right deeds). Not once says all Men. 

You are not wrong, and I don't feel like the "all men" was their intent. However, others took the commercial differently and I can see why. 

8 minutes ago, Emblazon said:

As others have said--if the ad offends you, perhaps it's time for some introspection. 

You have worded it more nicely, and some are offended because the ad is pointing them out, but like the video, there will be people that take issue with this statement of yours. Being offended does not make you guilty.

I personally don't give a shit about a commercial nor would I get upset about it.  But I still wonder why public owned companies keep wading into this type of shit. They are a fucken razor company. Did nobody say to anyone that maybe shit like this wouldn't be a good idea and piss off the people they are trying to sell products to?

5 minutes ago, Snaynay1 said:

I personally don't give a shit about a commercial nor would I get upset about it.  But I still wonder why public owned companies keep wading into this type of shit. They are a fucken razor company. Did nobody say to anyone that maybe shit like this wouldn't be a good idea and piss off the people they are trying to sell products to?

When it comes to brand recognition, publicity is good, even controversial/bad publicity.

1 minute ago, Jason said:

Yeah, my immediate reaction was just being puzzled about why they made this. 

To get attention because we know how that goes especially after Nike. So my issue is if the intent is to pass a positive message to bring attention to an issue that needs resolution, that's great. But if it's only to increase your sales that really sucks because the issue is real. 

Or someone got brave enough because more and more women speak out? 

36 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

I mean, like Eblazon said, it does fit with their tagline of "The best a man can get" and it's not like companies haven't been wading into social issues for quite some time now.

It's not hard to figure out why they did it. Of course, sincerity is another issue.

It is if you had no idea what their tagline is. :p

54 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

You seriously never seen a Gillette commercial and you're, what, around 30?

I haven't had live TV service since I went off to college at 18, so unless I'm over someone else's place and they turn it on I'm just not exposed to TV advertising. And as you know I don't watch sports, so it's not like I'm going to bars to catch games (and thus having that opportunity to be exposed to TV advertising).

Just now, Jason said:

I haven't had live TV service since I went off to college at 18, so unless I'm over someone else's place and they turn it on I'm just not exposed to TV advertising. And as you know I don't watch sports, so it's not like I'm going to bars to catch games (and thus having that opportunity to be exposed to TV advertising).

I mean, I don't watch much in the way of live TV, either, but this has been around a really long damn time. Like, all my life. :p