Sign in to follow this  
TwinIon

Consumer Technology Could a New RAZR Making Folding Phones Interesting? * Now Official!

Last week the WSJ reported that (Lenovo owned) Motorola is planning on launching a $1500 RAZR phone with a foldable screen. Now we might have our first look with this IP drawing:

razr.0.jpg

So far the foldable phones we've seen have been less than impressive.

Samsung has teased their folding phone, but the concept leaves a lot to be desired. Essentially you end up with a very thick phone with an oddly small screen, that opens to a small tablet with an awkward, almost square, aspect ratio.

The RAZR, as pictured, might actually be kind of cool. It would end up being rather thick, but short, while folded. You should get that very satisfying feeling of flipping it open, and a screen with a pretty usable aspect ratio. I'd be shocked if the first generation is actually a good phone, much less worth $1500, but it does give me hope that folding devices are coming soon and might actually be worthwhile.

EDIT: The new RAZR has finally been revealed.vpavic_191112_3789_0023.jpg

According to some recent leaks, it seems that the patent drawings may have been rather accurate in what the new RAZR could look like.

gsmarena_002.0.jpg

Given Samsung's recent woes, I wouldn't be surprised if this gets delayed, but if they could get it out and make it work well enough, I certainly see the appeal.

I have real doubts that the hinge would be such that I could flick it open, and I'd be hesitant to slam it shut like I did my old RAZR, but it's still pretty nifty.

1 hour ago, Nokt said:

I hope this doesn't become a trend. I have no idea why anyone would want a foldable phone. 

It puts a big screen in a smaller form factor. I think the appeal is quite obvious.

There seem to be some pretty significant drawbacks to early implementations, but I feel like folding devices are very much the obvious future.

13 minutes ago, TwinIon said:

It puts a big screen in a smaller form factor. I think the appeal is quite obvious.

There seem to be some pretty significant drawbacks to early implementations, but I feel like folding devices are very much the obvious future.

I guess I should say, I don't want this becoming a trend anytime soon as there are way to many tradeoffs currently. There are a lot of reasons that I wouldn't want to use a RAZR or a Galaxy Fold even if they didn't break as easy as they have shown. 

Motorola showed off the new RAZR and I think it looks pretty great. The screen doesn't seem to have much of a crease, and the clever hinges allow it to close all the way. The small screen on the outside seems far more useful (if purposefully limited) than the small screen on the Galaxy fold, and the very nature of a vertical folding phone just makes intuitive sense.

By all indications this won't be a good phone. The battery is too small, the camera isn't very good, it's not running a top of the line chip, it lacks face ID, has a meh screen resolution (and a notch), isn't IP rated for water resistance, and overall lacks the bells and whistles of the top tier competitors. Still, Moto admits this is a design first phone, and the design looks great to me. 

It's launching in January (with pre-orders in December) for $1500, and only on VZW for now (in the US). Far more than the Galaxy Fold, this is a design that I'd be really interested in. It seems like it should dodge some of the Folds' worst durability issues, but it's still a folding plastic screen, so I wouldn't expect it to survive long unscathed. Like many, I've got a soft spot in my heart for the old school RAZRs, and would welcome the day that a new version is worth buying.

I'm actually getting this phone to replace my current secondary phone, the Palm Phone. Let's see how well it works out. It'll be nice to have my second phone get back to someone larger than the tiny screen my Palm has.

14 minutes ago, Jose said:

Ie your first phone a BlackBerry? :p

Galaxy S10. I need a second phone for business and I like the second phone being a different size than my personal phone, so it's easier to fish out of my pocket. I'm also not about to do a Note+ and a second full size phone. That's way too much clutter in one pocket. An S10 plus a Palm Phone has worked out pretty well, but it'll be nice to see email on a screen that isn't 3.3 inches.

It's clearly a gen 1 device, but this seems more interesting that what Samsung did. Particularly that they managed to have the screen be completely flat in the open position. 

1 hour ago, Dre801 said:

Cool. . .just not 1500 dollars cool.

4 hours ago, Jason said:

It's clearly a gen 1 device