AT&T promised lower prices after Time Warner merger—it’s raising them instead

I’ve been DirecTV Now subscriber since August last year, and I’ve been extremely impressed. $35 was a steal and $40

isn’t too bad.

However, AT&T executives reasoning here for raising their prices should be used against anyone who champions “the free market and competition.”

“We’re raising our prices to be in line with the market.” Instead of them positioning $5 less as a competitive advantage, they realize they’re leaving $5 on the table. And now $40 is the new standard, until someone raises their prices, and in 5-10 years you have pricing and contracts no different than standard box cable.

I'm going to get Tmobile once the new phones come out. ATT is just too fucking expensive. Also going to the fresh hell that is Cox when I move, and I hear they are somehow worse than Time Warner. But they do offer gigabit internet in AZ, so it will be nice to have that. I'm already dreading the pain in the ass calling tome warner is going to be to cancel my current service, I really need to get that done in the next couple of days. 

3 minutes ago, Dodger said:

I'm going to get Tmobile once the new phones come out. ATT is just too fucking expensive. Also going to the fresh hell that is Cox when I move, and I hear they are somehow worse than Time Warner. But they do offer gigabit internet in AZ, so it will be nice to have that. I'm already dreading the pain in the ass calling tome warner is going to be to cancel my current service, I really need to get that done in the next couple of days.

Just tell them you're moving to New Zealand.

I think there is a fundamental problem here with these media companies and how they are packaging channels together that doesn't magically disappear by cutting the cable or satellite cord for IP TV. From what I've read, Youtube TV is running at a loss at $40/month. It's probably safe to say all the IP TV services are close to break even. These companies are charging too much for their live channels and they aren't allowing us to pick and choose. I like IP TV because satellite is insanely expensive with all the extra fees they charge, but if they keep going up, it won't be all that much cheaper eventually. I think I could get by just fine with Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon.

I could just get 300 mps internet for $80 a month from Cox, and "cut the cord" and that's probably good enough for what I need. But then I saw they had gigabit internet, and I had to have it. And then for "only" $30 more a month I get cable with HBO and Showtime "free" the first year. I'm a weak, weak man and will now be paying $150 a month for cable I really don't want or need. Though I might finally actually watch Game of Thrones.

I really should have just gotten internet plus MLBtv and I would have been fine for 90% of my needs.