People share their creations so far in the Dreams beta (by Sony studio Media Molecule)

SaysWho?

4 hours ago, Xbob42 said:

That's a very barebones remake of a hallway, not of PT itself. I mean, it's impressive to the extent that it's recognizable, but is Dreams just a console-based game engine at this point? That sounds kinda like a nightmare...

Every hands-on impression has said the opposite. I've literally not read any preview or hands-on so far that calls it anywhere near that, though I'm sure one or two exist.

8 hours ago, DarkStar189 said:

This game seems like a moderating/copyright nightmare. I don't know that much about the game so maybe I'm wrong. I feel like I've read you can import your own recorded audio and stuff. Definitely a game I'll keep and eye on in the news. 

This was never an issue with Starcraft. 

3 hours ago, SaysWho? said:

Every hands-on impression has said the opposite. I've literally not read any preview or hands-on so far that calls it anywhere near that, though I'm sure one or two exist.

Yeah, but how many of those people make games or have made something complex in this vs. just playing the cool shit?

I've no doubt that some amazing stuff can be created, it happens even with the worst engines and tools. It really doesn't matter to me as I'm not the one creating it, but this seems like the kind of thing that they would also need a long-term plan for, what with the PS5 on the horizon. Did they build a game-building-game engine thing right at the tail-end of a generation? Will it be BC?

These questions bother me twice as much since Mario Maker. I wish this shit would just be considered exempt from the typical exclusive stuff so I could have Mario Maker PC without an emulator. Just like Nintendo going "We want it to live forever!"

4 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

Yeah, but how many of those people make games or have made something complex in this vs. just playing the cool shit?

I've no doubt that some amazing stuff can be created, it happens even with the worst engines and tools. It really doesn't matter to me as I'm not the one creating it, but this seems like the kind of thing that they would also need a long-term plan for, what with the PS5 on the horizon. Did they build a game-building-game engine thing right at the tail-end of a generation? Will it be BC?

These questions bother me twice as much since Mario Maker. I wish this shit would just be considered exempt from the typical exclusive stuff so I could have Mario Maker PC without an emulator. Just like Nintendo going "We want it to live forever!"

Probably a little from column A and B, BUT I wish they didn't have an NDA because this stuff is showing that interest gets higher when gamers see what's being made. It's just been two weeks since the Beta started.

My guess is that it'll transfer as you could play levels from LittleBigPlanet 1/2 on 3 as well. You can basically build many, many games or scenes to your hearts' content, making dreams into reality in a way, and from all hands-on I've seen, it's really easy-to-use, and you can get as complicated or as simple as you want. Simple stuff like switches will allow you to make platformers right off the bat, but MM has shown that you can delve further into it with the genres you can tackle.

I used to have a whole thread on Dreams impressions and hands-on for people who wanted to read up on it, but it was wiped when we reset the board after it bugged. :( 

All this is really cool to show the diversity of what's possible, but I REALLY can't wait for people to just make some crazy original creation.

Which could already be happening since, despite the leaks, it's under an NDA.

The fact that you can sculpt a texture or object or person and share that one thing for others to use is a really cool thing. And couch co-op with the game is a welcome thing to hear. 

Hands On: Dreams Is Arguably PS4's Most Impressive Exclusive Yet

This is one of the most innovative, extraordinary pieces of software that we’ve seen on a console in quite some time. Imagine, for one moment, that you’re making an American Football game. You’ve programmed the game loop, but your quarterback character is currently a cube. Well, it’s time to go Dream Surfing, searching for a Tom Brady look-a-like that fits your creation. Pick one that's already been created and you’ll both get credited for your work, and you may even decide to work with that character artist again on future projects.

Or perhaps it wasn’t Tom Brady you wanted in your game, but Aaron Rodgers instead. No problem, you can simply remix the asset until the colour palette matches that of the Green Bay Packers. Every single thing that you see in Dreams is created in Dreams – this isn’t like LittleBigPlanet where you’re pulling in stock assets that have been pre-designed for you. No, every model, every sound effect, every piece of art, every animation, every bit of logic can be built on a DualShock 4.

And it can be browsed for hours and hours and hours. It’s like when you fall into a YouTube hole, and you’re clicking from recommended video to recommended video – except here, you’re jumping from minigames involving llamas to models of crustaceans to covers of The King of Wishful Thinking. And it all just happens – loading never takes more than five seconds, and is generally instantaneous. Will the servers remain as rapid when the wider public gets access? We hope so.

• 2 weeks later...

Half-Life 3 incoming in the future maybe :p:

DyBQg-mWkA4N9oI.jpg:large

This music thing is pretty cool. And the fact that this is all done in the beta stage gets me REALLY excited for the main game and infinite time: