Kids with MAGA hats and Native Americans involved in... something

I stopped reading at page 4 because this is the usual circular arguments between people. 

I don't judge people for wearing religious clothing because most religious clothing has been co-opted by cultures, which are not the same thing (see: girls wearing crucifixes around their necks because it's cool in many places, even if the teenagers couldn't care less about Christianity). I do judge people who wear political articles of clothing, such as MAGA hates or KKK robes, as those indicate they are advertising their actual beliefs. 

The only reason we all wear clothing on a day-to-day basis is because of puritanical Christianity and other old religious which pushed body-shaming on pretty much everyone (shame in the traditional sense, of all bodies being shameful). But to say that wearing clothing means we are all hardcore Christian is not true, we simply live in a historically Christian-based culture.

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Boyle5150 said:

You are correct in the latter but what part do you find unfitting with the former?  From an ideological standpoint?

5 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

I don't judge people for wearing religious clothing because most religious clothing has been co-opted by cultures, which are not the same thing (see: girls wearing crucifixes around their necks because it's cool in many places, even if the teenagers couldn't care less about Christianity). I do judge people who wear political articles of clothing, such as MAGA hates or KKK robes, as those indicate they are advertising their actual beliefs. 

@CitizenVectron posted more-or-less my exact reason.

17 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

@CitizenVectron posted more-or-less my exact reason.

I more or less agree with that as it's mostly true, but as I stated before, just because someone has a maga hat on doesn't mean they are all the things he said they were.  And so I pointed out why it never a good idea to just assume the worst before having the discussion with those people.  Simply stating that mega hats are the equivalent to kkk robes is part of the problem, and further reason why I used the Muslim analogy.

In fact, I know people who are MAGA chuds for one simple reason, the 2nd amendment.  But putting them all in the same category is the problem.  Which is exactly analogous to how you shouldn't put all Muslims in the same category.   

1 minute ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

I mean, I'm pretty sure humans have worn clothes long before Christianity and in societies that knew nothing of Christianity because we didn't wanna freeze.

ummm, pretty sure we started wearing clothes when that one woman ate an apple and then we all realized we were naked. 

29 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

I stopped reading at page 4 because this is the usual circular arguments between people. 

The only reason we all wear clothing on a day-to-day basis is because of puritanical Christianity and other old religious which pushed body-shaming on pretty much everyone (shame in the traditional sense, of all bodies being shameful). But to say that wearing clothing means we are all hardcore Christian is not true, we simply live in a historically Christian-based culture.

No, we live in an enlightenment/secular culture. 

13 minutes ago, Boyle5150 said:

No, we live in an enlightenment/secular culture. 

That is based on prudish puritanical culture. There is no doubt that we are more liberal than our ancestors, but we are not all the way there yet. It certainly makes sense to wear clothing to protect from the environment. But when it is hot out, why do we still all wear shirts, for example? Religion. And in fact, in many places in North America women are now allowed to be topless where men are...but women still choose to wear tops because of social mores. The same is true of why some Muslim women wear hair/head coverings in North America even if they are not bound to by law. The weight of history is hard to change, and most rules are based on religious ones.

2 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

That is based on prudish puritanical culture. There is no doubt that we are more liberal than our ancestors, but we are not all the way there yet. It certainly makes sense to wear clothing to protect from the environment. But when it is hot out, why do we still all wear shirts, for example? Religion. And in fact, in many places in North America women are now allowed to be topless where men are...but women still choose to wear tops because of social mores. The same is true of why some Muslim women wear hair/head coverings in North America even if they are not bound to by law. The weight of history is hard to change, and most rules are based on religious ones.

evolution is very slow...

Pretty much every single culture with or without religion wears some form of clothing.  Religion is not the cause of clothing although some repressive garments are. 

https://plato.stanford.edu/entries/atheism-agnosticism/#DefiAgno

Proof that the term agnostic is so loaded that it is better to just state in simple terms what you believe and what you think you know. When I hear someone say they're agnostic, I usually think they mean they are psychologically agnostic, that is that they make no claim about the existence or non existence of a God. 

2 minutes ago, Boyle5150 said:

evolution is very slow...

Pretty much every single culture with or without religion wears some form of clothing.  Religion is not the cause of clothing although some repressive garments are. 

People in much of Africa and the Pacific didn't wear much clothing until it was forced on them by missionaries. Another direct example is that North America was largely settled by puritanical Christians, and this is why our culture is so much more conservative and religious than the continent they left. Look at the much softer stance on nudity in western Europe, for example. There is a direct line between the religious history of an area and its clothing culture. 

23 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Assigning complete casual motivation on religious norms is a bold claim. Human psychology and social dynamics are wildly complex and you should be deeply skeptical of singular explanations.

Other factors that may be involved regard simple insecurity, and signaling. Regarding insecurity, many people are insecure about how they look, with clothes, or without. But clothing can often be used to make one appear better, or at least make one appear in a way with which they're more comfortable. You don't need religion to get to insecurity of image because there are plenty of sexual and other social dynamics baked into man's brain that can cause that to be.

As far as signaling, clothing can be used to signal the kind of person you are. It adds information to adjust people's first impression, and it's why fashion is a thing at all.

Other clothing norms (e.g., some form of "pants") can also exist for public hygiene reasons (or at least perception of them).

I don't doubt that religion, especially historically, influenced the social norms that exist today. But to lay it all at its feet is a tough sell.

15 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

People in much of Africa and the Pacific didn't wear much clothing until it was forced on them by missionaries. Another direct example is that North America was largely settled by puritanical Christians, and this is why our culture is so much more conservative and religious than the continent they left. Look at the much softer stance on nudity in western Europe, for example. There is a direct line between the religious history of an area and its clothing culture. 

Like I said, some articles of clothing/modesty is constructed by religion, but* clothing itself is not. 

See the source image

Uncontacted tribes with no religion wearing clothing to cover themselves.  Religion is just a biproduct of human nature in it's attempts to describe the natural world.   There are far more reasons than religion for clothing.  In other words, we are self-aware not because of religion, we are in spite of it.

2 minutes ago, Nokra said:

This thread has been quite the ride. Anger at kids to anger at adults to anger at Boyle to a discussion of Muslims to a discussion of atheism vs. agnosticism to a discussion of the origin of clothing. :silly:

Goddamn, D1P, I need a drink. 

:p 

i hope this culminates with a pineapple on pizza debate so we can out the despicable pineapple heathens !

• Haha 1

52 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

LOL, in hot sunny weather you wear clothes to protect your skin from the sun. Go watch dudes who work outside in the sun all day, they all wear pants, long sleeve shirts, and usually hats and those rag thingies that cover your neck.

Terrible take :lol:

19 minutes ago, Nokra said:

This thread has been quite the ride. Anger at kids to anger at adults to anger at Boyle to a discussion of Muslims to a discussion of atheism vs. agnosticism to a discussion of the origin of clothing. :silly:

Goddamn, D1P, I need a drink. 

:p 

It's only just begun...  Now that you are here, we can get this racism train kicked into full gear.  How fitting you are in Germany.

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Boyle5150 said:

Like I said, some articles of clothing/modesty is constructed by religion, but* clothing itself is not. 

See the source image

Uncontacted tribes with no religion wearing clothing to cover themselves.  Religion is just a biproduct of human nature in it's attempts to describe the natural world.   There are far more reasons than religion for clothing.  In other words, we are self-aware not because of religion, we are in spite of it.

How do you know they have no religion? lol 

Just now, sblfilms said:

LOL, in hot sunny weather you wear clothes to protect your skin from the sun. Go watch dudes who work outside in the sun all day, they all wear pants, long sleeve shirts, and usually hats and those rag thingies that cover your neck.

Terrible take :lol:

That shit grosses me out. I hate putting stuff on when I'm sweaty, but I especially can't imagine wearing rags and long sleeves when it's July and in the sun.

When I saw a guy do that, my fist stopped right at his face. 

4 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

That shit grosses me out. I hate putting stuff on when I'm sweaty, but I especially can't imagine wearing rags and long sleeves when it's July and in the sun.

I used to think that, then I spent a year working on Harvey damaged houses every day with a bunch of Mexican and Salvadoran dudes and they all dressed that way. I started doing it and saw the light. You just have to make sure the fabric is light colored and breathable. It’s waaaay less hot than soaking up all that sun on your bare skin! I even got my IR thermometer out and recorded temp reading on my skin with and without the long sleeves. The difference is significant.

6 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

As somebody who has had to work in the hot summer sun for hours, it’s pretty necessary if you care about your skin/health. If you don’t cover your skin you’ll eventually feel like you’re actually burning up because the sun is trying to kill you. 

2 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

I used to think that, then I spent a year working on Harvey damaged houses every day with a bunch of Mexican and Salvadoran dudes and they all dressed that way. I started doing it and saw the light. You just have to make sure the fabric is light colored and breathable. It’s waaaay less hot than soaking up all that sun on your bare skin! I even got my IR thermometer out and recorded temp reading on my skin with and without the long sleeves. The difference is significant.

yup, and it soaks the sweat in, which helps cool the body down.  Sounds like some people have never had to work in the sun in a hot af area before.

9 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

5 minutes ago, johnny said:

As somebody who has had to work in the hot summer sun for hours, it’s pretty necessary if you care about your skin/health. If you don’t cover your skin you’ll eventually feel like you’re actually burning up because the sun is trying to kill you. 

My mind is fucking blown reading this.