Kids with MAGA hats and Native Americans involved in... something

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/social-issues/it-was-getting-ugly-native-american-drummer-on-the-maga-hat-wearing-teens-who-surrounded-him/2019/01/19/41678d84-1c1b-11e9-8813-cb9dec761e73_story.html

“It was getting ugly, and I was thinking: ‘I’ve got to find myself an exit out of this situation and finish my song at the Lincoln Memorial,’ ” Phillips recalled. “I started going that way, and that guy in the hat stood in my way and we were at an impasse. He just blocked my way and wouldn’t allow me to retreat.”

So, he kept drumming and singing, thinking about his wife, Soshana, who died from bone marrow cancer nearly four years ago, and the various threats that face indigenous communities around the world, he said.

5BPNGOA4FAI6TOHGKZYZBQX5BA.jpg

Phillips had approached the group, informing them that their celebration was racially offensive, a local Fox News station reported. One of the students threw a beer can at him, Phillips told the news outlet.

A few people in the March for Life crowd began to chant “Build that wall, build that wall,” he said.

• Guillotine 2

I have to be honest, but I have always hated the term "Native American" to describe them. They are as native to America as I am. Their ancestors migrated here just as the rest of ours did. 

I do not think for a moment what the colonists, colonials, and Americans did to them were anything less than horrible. It was an invasion. And one that was neither amicable, nor peaceful, nor even fairly compensated. Their land was "bought" and "sold" by nations who had no real right to it. Their only real fault was not having a military capable of defending their land. 

While not "native", they were still first. 

• Guillotine 3

51 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

I have to be honest, but I have always hated the term "Native American" to describe them. They are as native to America as I am. Their ancestors migrated here just as the rest of ours did. 

I do not think for a moment what the colonists, colonials, and Americans did to them were anything less than horrible. It was an invasion. And one that was neither amicable, nor peaceful, nor even fairly compensated. Their land was "bought" and "sold" by nations who had no real right to it. Their only real fault was not having a military capable of defending their land. 

Something something small pox

3 hours ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

Oh for fuck's sake.  I suppose we should just call everyone African then, because I'm not REALLY Irish/Italian/Polish because my ancestors just happened to live there for a while after they migrated like all people everywhere.  

8 hours ago, LazyPiranha said:

Oh for fuck's sake.  I suppose we should just call everyone African then, because I'm not REALLY Irish/Italian/Polish because my ancestors just happened to live there for a while after they migrated like all people everywhere.  

Do you otherwise identify as a native/indigenous Irishman? I have similar ancestry, but do not tyoically identify myself based on that unless somebody asks. I will typically just identify as an American or a Texan, as that is where I reside and what my citizenship status is. 

I'm fine with calling them American, or referring to them by which ever Nation their tribe is. 

7 hours ago, Brick said:

Wait it was a field trip? Where were the teachers then? 

4 hours ago, johnny said:

The school absolutely needs to fire them. I mean, will they? Probably only if the parents of those kids are bitching.  

School actually issued a statement

“We condemn the actions of the Covington Catholic high school students,” a statement by the Roman Catholic Diocese of Covington and Covington Catholic High School read. “This behavior is opposed to the Church’s teachings on the dignity and respect of the human person. The matter is being investigated and we will take appropriate action, up to and including expulsion. We know this incident also has tainted the entire witness of the March for Life and express our sincere apologies to all those who attended the March and those who support the pro-life movement."

6 minutes ago, Nokt said:

School actually issued a statement

“We condemn the actions of the Covington Catholic high school students,” a statement by the Roman Catholic Diocese of Covington and Covington Catholic High School read. “This behavior is opposed to the Church’s teachings on the dignity and respect of the human person. The matter is being investigated and we will take appropriate action, up to and including expulsion. We know this incident also has tainted the entire witness of the March for Life and express our sincere apologies to all those who attended the March and those who support the pro-life movement."

Those kids deserve to get expelled if this was an actual school trip. I've seen kids get in trouble for doing MUCH less to embarrass a school during a school trip.

1 minute ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Those kids deserve to get expelled if this was an actual school trip. I've seen kids get in trouble for doing MUCH less to embarrass a school during a school trip.

Side Story that has nothing to do with this, but reminded me.

Oddly enough our high school had a really bad incident with a hotel. I can't remember exactly what it was for, but our marketing teacher pretty much let anyone that wanted to go, go.

People brought weed and alcohol and pretty much had a weekend party. Hotel rooms were trashed, I think there was even smeared poop on one of the walls, TV's broken, stuff stolen.

Not a single person got in trouble, our high school didn't pursue finding out who did what. They interviewed the students and no one ratted, they literally could have just found out who was in what room and went from there, but no.

Just a copy and paste from reddit.

Full Video of the event:

Please read

For context I deeply oppose trump and think he is a swine but regardless of your political leanings I am committed to the truth and I think it's important people see this. This is gonna be controversial for knee jerk reaction reddit but hear me out.

So here’s the almost 2 hour video out that shows the entire thing from start to end. On t_d this video has been edited into clips to make it look like the natives are at fault which I also think is a distortion.

Bottom line though? The popular narrative of what occurred in this confrontation is inaccurate

I encourage you to watch as much of the video as you can to see what goes on from a first hand source but I understand its long. If you watch the video you will see the following:

A group of 5 “black Israelites” (referred to as “black Muslims” by the mom’s statement but I see how she made this mistake I certainly thought they were Muslim at first too) is there well before the natives and they are spouting absolute hatred. These aren’t typical Christians/Jews/Muslims. They are the equivalent of the crazy hate preacher on your college campus. They sit there yelling about homosexuality and the white devil etc etc. They call the two black teenagers the n-word, they call the white ones crackers, and they repeatedly use the term “faggots”....to which the crowd of boys boo’s them emphatically. They also defend their black classmates who the hate preachers call the n word.

The natives then approach. The group of black Israelites eggs on the confrontation. From the video it appears as if the natives are approaching the teens almost looking for conflict because they identify them by their MAGA hats. They don’t appear to be associated with the hate preachers. The native drummer approaches the kids and gets in their face. The kids break out in a “Indian tomahawk chant” the same one the Florida state football team uses. At first it actually looks like they're "joining in" with the drummer but then it seems to morph into jeering the drummer by the end - perhaps as it dawns on them that this is more of a "confrontation" than just a display of drumming. Then the infamous stare down happens. Then the two groups trade jeers for a few minutes before, it seems, the natives sort of realize the actual baffoons in the room are the “black Israelites” aka the hate preachers.

The natives disperse without further conflict. The hate preachers stick around and yell really vitriolic things at the kids.

This whole confrontation is definitely very different from what the headline and now infamous picture would have you believe. If you go off those you’d think the teens approached and surrounded the natives and then harassed them. Simply not the case.

What is most disturbing about this to me is that this really does seem like the media and social media are running with a narrative that at worst is a purposeful distortion of the facts in an attempt to get “dem clicks” and at best a poor representation of the facts spread like wildfire as journalists attempt to get their story out quickly without fact checking and readers re-tweet and parrot talking points from headlines alone.

This is very very bad. Why? Because every time a MAGA hat wearing conspiracy theorist sees the whole video and reasonably comes to the same conclusion I did and compare that to the headlines and highly voted reddit comments it reinforces their notion that everything anti-trump is “fake news”. Then when a reputable journalist reports on how trump committed such and such crime its a boy who cried wolf situation.

In conclusion I will leave you with this quote by Jonathan Swift "Falsehood flies, and the Truth comes limping after it". Please --- remember to think for yourselves and not just see a headline, upvote it because it emotionally reaches you, and spread false information.

edit: edited to correct some spelling mistakes

31 minutes ago, Nokt said:

Side Story that has nothing to do with this, but reminded me.

Oddly enough our high school had a really bad incident with a hotel. I can't remember exactly what it was for, but our marketing teacher pretty much let anyone that wanted to go, go.

People brought weed and alcohol and pretty much had a weekend party. Hotel rooms were trashed, I think there was even smeared poop on one of the walls, TV's broken, stuff stolen.

Not a single person got in trouble, our high school didn't pursue finding out who did what. They interviewed the students and no one ratted, they literally could have just found out who was in what room and went from there, but no.

Sounds like your school just wanted the incident to go away.

27 minutes ago, Nokt said:

Reasons I typically don't comment on these types of events and politics in general. Everything is almost always out of context.

Kid still has a very punchable face though. That stupid smirk.

The story I read DID mention that the teens initially confronted an African American group and then got into it with the Native Americans. I didn't realize the African American Protesters were Isrealites but it makes sense. Those guys are assholes and always have been and this is EXACTLY what they do. It still doesn't absolve those kids or their adult supervisors from what THEY did which is clearly on the tape, nor does it explain the beer can that was thrown at the native American folks that were there.

Also I LOVE how whenever some racist assholes are caught on tape doing racist shit, there's always some "impartial" observer who comes along to explain and put their behavior into its "proper context".  And folks wonder why racism continues to be a problem in this country :|

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

The story I read DID mention that the teens initially confronted and African American group and then got into it with the Native Americans. I didn't realize the African American Protesters were Isrealites but it makes sense. Those guys are assholes and always have been. It still doesn't absolve those kids or their adult supervisors from what THEY did which is clearly on the tape, nor does it explain the beer can that was thrown at the native American folks that were there.

Also I LOVE how whenever some racist assholes are caught on tape doing racist shit, there's always some "impartial" observer who comes along to explain and put heir behavior into its "proper context".  And folks wonder why racism continues to be a problem in this country :|

I hope you didn't take my statement as "see this absolves these kids". I wholeheartedly agree that the teacher/students should be punished.

Reddit, and the internet, have knee-jerk reactions a lot of the time. Context isn't always what it seems and can play out very differently when situations like this is arises. Which is why I stated what I did. You'll almost never see me post in politically driven threads, I just happened to be in this one because I saw it on reddit and saw the school had issued an update yesterday.

20 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

The story I read DID mention that the teens initially confronted an African American group and then got into it with the Native Americans. I didn't realize the African American Protesters were Isrealites but it makes sense. Those guys are assholes and always have been and this is EXACTLY what they do. It still doesn't absolve those kids or their adult supervisors from what THEY did which is clearly on the tape, nor does it explain the beer can that was thrown at the native American folks that were there.

Also I LOVE how whenever some racist assholes are caught on tape doing racist shit, there's always some "impartial" observer who comes along to explain and put their behavior into its "proper context".  And folks wonder why racism continues to be a problem in this country :|

Even if you were inclined to give the most charitable interpretation possible to this kid that took xenophobia off the table, it's still blatantly the face of a bully to anyone who got deal with being bullied as a kid.