PAX South anyone else going?

Rodimus

I was not planning on going this year. I am not big into table top, and most indy games I'll never see on Xbox. Panels were kind of "meh" last year too. 

I may go next year. I really do want it to grow and get bigger. Maybe not as big as East or West, but big enough that more big publishers come out. Last year twitch just straight up "no showed" despite their brand being everywhere. Mixer ended up taking over their panels and streaming coverage. MS seemed more than happy to step in. 

2 hours ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

I was not planning on going this year. I am not big into table top, and most indy games I'll never see on Xbox. Panels were kind of "meh" last year too. 

I may go next year. I really do want it to grow and get bigger. Maybe not as big as East or West, but big enough that more big publishers come out. Last year twitch just straight up "no showed" despite their brand being everywhere. Mixer ended up taking over their panels and streaming coverage. MS seemed more than happy to step in. 

Honestly, the panels for today (Friday) are better than the Saturday panels, which is odd considering Saturday is the biggest turnout. Perhaps they use it as a push to sell more Friday badges since people work, go to school, etc., but I am going tomorrow and am a little bummed I missed the Cory Barlog panel. 

The Saturday panels are kinda "meh" but like you, I wanted a big gaming con in my neck of the woods since I was young, and now that we have one I'll go just to support it.

I have to say though that Microsoft, despite having the Mixer booth, needs a bigger presence at this show. They really seem to have their head up their ass for this. I get that they're already planning for E3, but I just don't think they realize how many people are in Texas that don't get to go to the other big cons on the East/West coast. They really are missing the boat here. People keep asking Major Nelson if he's going to PAX South and doing a Inside Xbox episode and he just plays coy and dodges the question. 

Nintendo had a booth the year before last where they had playable Switches (before launch) and that booth had a line a mile long. Capcom had Monster Hunter World last year and Resident Evil 7 the year before, and had a line a mile long. This year they're going to have RE2, and I'm willing to bet that the line will be a mile long. Capcom gets it.

Larian has had a presence every year. Larian gets it.

Sony will have two booths this year, if the map is anything to go by. You can bet they'll be showing something off... maybe playable PSVR or something.

For whatever reason Microsoft keeps writing off a state with like, 12 million people that are only a few hours' drive away.

Capcom seems to be the only big producer/dev that shows up at South year after year with  a decent booth. I wanna day 3 years ago they had a big booth too. I think it was mostly Street Fighter, but it was nice to see them coming out. 

For me San Antonio is a 4-6 hour drive. (Dependent on Austin traffic) Not out of the question for a weekend, but long enough it has to feel worth the trip. 

I know I'm going striaght to Limited Runs both to se what games they have for sale. Then the retro and an import game booth. I saw the panels today look really good. I will also go play in the retro game room and the free play arcade. I will wait in line for a panel not a long one to play RE2. since we will get that soon enough. I really agree I want to support it and have it grow. I always have fun. My friend I was staying with and going with is sick and backed out. So I may just drive back and fourth from Austin.

Yeah, by the time you posted on Saturday I was already out the door. Had been there since 8 for will call. I keep forgetting that unlike most things in SA, PAX actually knows how to handle a crowd. (Comic Con hit capacity by noon the first time it was here and they weren't letting anyone in).

Soooo.. by the time they let people in at 10, I'd already been there for two hours and by 2:00 pm I was already pretty fatigued. It was a shame too, cuz that was around the time the cosplay was getting really good. I guess all that shit takes a while to put on lol.

Next year I'll manage my time better and hopefully be in a little bit better health so I'm not dragging ass all day.

• Thanks 1

Yeah the Xbox booth was a joke. They had free giveaways and a Crackdown photobooth type matrix setup but no games. The huge Crackdown 3 wall said Feb 15th but not one demo running of the game. That is pathetic and suspisious after all these years and one month away and no demo.

3 hours ago, Rodimus said:

Yeah the Xbox booth was a joke. They had free giveaways and a Crackdown photobooth type matrix setup but no games. The huge Crackdown 3 wall said Feb 15th but not one demo running of the game. That is pathetic and suspisious after all these years and one month away and no demo.

Yeah. A playable Crackdown demo couldn't have hurt (well, it could've) but by this point they could've been showcasing some of their game pass titles as playable games. Forza Horizon 4, Hellblade, Below, Sea of Thieves, We Happy Few, etc.

They might not all be amazing games but they do show the diversity that Game Pass has to offer, and on top of that there's a lot of people that have never played any of those.