Jump to content
~*Please Support the GoFundMe Campaign for HardAct*~ Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Jason

Television Star Trek: Discovery season 2 open spoilers discussion thread

Recommended Posts

To kick the thread off, does anyone know what time CBS is putting the episodes up on All Access now that the show has moved to Thursdays?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I watched What I think was the first half of season 1 on a cbs trial. I like it. It was moody and dark. I never watched the 2nd half of s1 and refuse to pay for a service for 1 show. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Jason said:

To kick the thread off, does anyone know what time CBS is putting the episodes up on All Access now that the show has moved to Thursdays?

8:30 EST

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It started at 8:00 Eastern on Space in Canada. It ran past 9 so I guess I'll be watching the recording of The Orville another day.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I still have some basic complaints about going back to this time period again and the problems it's inevitably going to cause, but this was a very promising start to the season. And some of the lines felt like they were aimed squarely at the audience who was concerned that this was going to be like last season. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm cautiously optimistic for this season. The dialogue was fine, and the easter eggs were great (audio and visual). But that asteroid scene was a hot mess of bad camera angles, terrible motions, and poor "intense action" quick cuts.  Thankfully that scene's phony calamity didn't continue in the episode when it was all over, but it scares me to think that the rest of the season is gonna use those same tactics of barely-there-shakey-cam motions, lens flares, and awful effects to over stress danger =/

 

But still, Pike was great, the rest of the cast was fine in their familiar roles, and the cg work overall is very decent. I think I'm just happy that anything Star Trek is back, especially after being so starved for legit sci-fi continuations that doesn't abuse/ignore its previous history.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Asteroid scene was indeed a painful clear contrived mess to promote crew bonding and address staffing issues. Otherwise, I enjoyed the episode and agree that the season holds a lot of promise. It may not be the Star Trek I was looking for, but I enjoy it for what it is all the same! 

 

Edit: Oh and Mr. Mount is doing a great job as an interesting captain type! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I will agree the continued look/directing of show is unquestionably nu-trek or JJ-trek whatever you want to call and is in stark contrast to every show that has come before but at this point it certainly seems like it is going to be the immediate future of trek.

 

I love the fact that mission statement of season appears to be go have an adventure and explore/discover which is exactly what Trek should always be.

 

Pike is good so far, optimistic about that.

 

Inflation adjusted this certainly looked like the most expensive episode of any star trek series ever made not counting pilot episodes with their huge sunk costs of sets and props. I wonder if they blew their wad early or if this is what the whole season will look like. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, elbobo said:

I will agree the continued look/directing of show is unquestionably nu-trek or JJ-trek whatever you want to call and is in stark contrast to every show that has come before but at this point it certainly seems like it is going to be the immediate future of trek.

 

I love the fact that mission statement of season appears to be go have an adventure and explore/discover which is exactly what Trek should always be.

 

Pike is good so far, optimistic about that.

 

Inflation adjusted this certainly looked like the most expensive episode of any star trek series ever made not counting pilot episodes with their huge sunk costs of sets and props. I wonder if they blew their wad early or if this is what the whole season will look like. 

 

Star Trek seasons used to be 26 episodes a season and now they're going for more like 15, so even with the same inflation-adjusted budget they'd still have more money per episode to work with. 

 

Which isn't necessarily great because in DS9 for example, some great episodes that fleshed out the characters and universe were cheap effects-light episodes done to even out the budget. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Couple of things that bugged me, on the nitpicky side. The turbolift and the launching the landing pods shots made the interior of the ship seem absolutely enormous, it looked like the turbolift was a rollercoaster going through a ten story warehouse and the launch tubes went on forever.

 

Also the crew member in the wheelchair that popped up a couple of times. I'm all for inclusiveness but even the freaking bridge has stairs on it, if he had some kind of sweet professor X hover chair maybe that would work but I think you would have to able bodied to serve in starfleet. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, elbobo said:

Couple of things that bugged me, on the nitpicky side. The turbolift and the launching the landing pods shots made the interior of the ship seem absolutely enormous, it looked like the turbolift was a rollercoaster going through a ten story warehouse and the launch tubes went on forever.

 

Also the crew member in the wheelchair that popped up a couple of times. I'm all for inclusiveness but even the freaking bridge has stairs on it, if he had some kind of sweet professor X hover chair maybe that would work but I think you would have to able bodied to serve in starfleet. 

 

latest?cb=20120804213944&path-prefix=en

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Binge watched the first season and enjoyed it even though it was definitely more movie melodramatic Trek.  Since I watched all of season 1 in just 2 days last week and then immediately watched S2 Ep 1......I got tonal whiplash.  Even with the pump the brakes approach and lightening the mood....some of the things they did in the first season paid off.  I mean...we've seen bad guy mirror universe representations of almost all the Captains.but never really the effect on the crews afterwards in regards to trust (although the whole Picard/Locutus issue did have some lingering after effects, but they were still toned down)  

 

It was nice to see Pike in the chair. They did a great job with the charachter and the Easter Eggs were fun.....my favorite was the uniforms.

 

Going forward...I hope we get to expand on the bridge crew even more this season versus bringing in newer characters, but I'm all good either way

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Alpha1Cowboy said:

Binge watched the first season and enjoyed it even though it was definitely more movie melodramatic Trek.  Since I watched all of season 1 in just 2 days last week and then immediately watched S2 Ep 1......I got tonal whiplash.  Even with the pump the brakes approach and lightening the mood....some of the things they did in the first season paid off.  I mean...we've seen bad guy mirror universe representations of almost all the Captains.but never really the effect on the crews afterwards in regards to trust (although the whole Picard/Locutus issue did have some lingering after effects, but they were still toned down)  

 

It was nice to see Pike in the chair. They did a great job with the charachter and the Easter Eggs were fun.....my favorite was the uniforms.


 

 

The showrunners seem to have been rushing to just jettison as much of Fuller-Trek out the airlock as quickly as humanly possible as the first season finished up. The absurdly abrupt end of the Klingon war is an obvious example. Which I'm fine with given that they seem to have been gunning for just giving up on the plotline and just throwing it overboard instead of wasting time and energy on trying to salvage a lost cause.

 

1 hour ago, Alpha1Cowboy said:

Going forward...I hope we get to expand on the bridge crew even more this season versus bringing in newer characters, but I'm all good either way 

 

The bridge roll call is one of the things I had in mind when I said bits of the episode seemed aimed squarely at the fans upset that the bridge crew were being treated as trivial props. Like, fine, if they're secondary characters and not fully fleshed-out cast then whatever (it seems like we're going to complete our ensemble off-ship)...but at least acknowledge them as actual people and not just set pieces for the show's 3D printer.

 

Apparently Airiam    got recast...and I really can't say I blame the actress considering the amount of makeup she was sitting through to do literally nothing every episode.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree the bridge roll call was the first step in making them actual characters vs props in the background that press buttons.

 

I hope the rescued engineer sticks around too

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting episode this week, but it's feeling off from where I was enjoying it during the first season. Michael's Mary-Sue status is less prominent this time around, but the inclusion of the religion aspect and showing her denial of it for science is already making me roll my eyes. I want more science and political drama. I don't want theology mixed with moral turpitude. And it's nice that the crew is getting more integration, but we're losing any sense of military conduct for it (which is bad). People are running around on the bridge with left field plans, talking over people, jumping in seats that they're not qualified to sit in, people are breaking rank and clapping when a job pulls through at the end, etc. It just feels sloppy. New, but sloppy. And it's something that's going to get old real quick if it doesn't change.

 

Also, once again the Pike character is a standout in this episode, but *minor spoiler*his injury sustained*minor spoiler* makes me fear that he's just gonna end up in wheelchair like every other Pike has been in in every other iteration of the character. I hope to God the writers don't go down that familiar road this time around and actually do something new with him. Especially this Pike.

 

It's still Star Trek, so I'm happy that something's out there in the world to watch. But it isn't bullet-proof, and I'd hate to get as sick of this show as I did with Voyager and Enterprise after watching the first season or two back in their day...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

More episodes like this please, felt more like Trek than the whole first season put together 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

CBS put the first episode of season 2 on Youtube for free, apparently because the show has a 25-30% approval rating and no one really wants to watch it, me included. What the hell I watched it and it wasn't half bad. It had some really stupid stuff like the forced comedy, lore retconning and unbelievable crew members but it was a pretty good action drama. It's not really "Star Trek" but it's still pretty neat. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the show is really good and season 2 is off to a great start. But I get why it's not being watched. CBS All Access is the problem. They set this show up to fail. Production values are off the charts and if it doesn't turn into a mega hit this season they will cancel and blame the numbers. Not the fact that paying for just one show is kinda pointless unless it's game of thrones. But even that is the most pirated show on TV. 

 

If this was on Netflix or Hulu it would be a hit. No doubt about it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Did not like this week's at all and the directing was terrible with the constant camera rotations and craning around, just a needlessly busy mess.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, elbobo said:

Did not like this week's at all and the directing was terrible with the constant camera rotations and craning around, just a needlessly busy mess.

Near the end of the episode, with the fly into the ship, I wonder aloud, "what in the actual fuck are you doing with the camera?!" :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/28/2019 at 11:18 PM, ALIEN-gunner said:

CBS put the first episode of season 2 on Youtube for free, apparently because the show has a 25-30% approval rating and no one really wants to watch it, me included. What the hell I watched it and it wasn't half bad. It had some really stupid stuff like the forced comedy, lore retconning and unbelievable crew members but it was a pretty good action drama. It's not really "Star Trek" but it's still pretty neat. 

It felt more like Star Trek than season 1 did. 

 

There are are some rumors that these red angels are Spock’s from different time lines, something relating to the red matter from Star Trek 2009. When the season wraps up all time lines will converge, this timeline becoming the Prime Timeline and the Kelvin timeline being erased completely. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, elbobo said:

Did not like this week's at all and the directing was terrible with the constant camera rotations and craning around, just a needlessly busy mess.

 

Last week was Frakes so of course it was great. :daydream:

 

1 hour ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

It felt more like Star Trek than season 1 did. 

 

There are are some rumors that these red angels are Spock’s from different time lines, something relating to the red matter from Star Trek 2009. When the season wraps up all time lines will converge, this timeline becoming the Prime Timeline and the Kelvin timeline being erased completely. 

 

I've seen people saying it's the Star Trek Online Iconians. I'm inclined to agree, given how dead-on the resemblance is:

 

xonz25tbvpc11.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can't believe they didn't fix the klingon teeth or mouth appliances between seasons, it is clear that the actors still struggle to speak in the makeup.

 

They can obviously do amazing looking full scale makeup and have the actor be able to enunciate because Saru is probably the most precise speaking character on show, now that is Doug Jones who is essentially the Michael Jordan of acting in full makeup but still

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, elbobo said:

I can't believe they didn't fix the klingon teeth or mouth appliances between seasons, it is clear that the actors still struggle to speak in the makeup.

 

They can obviously do amazing looking full scale makeup and have the actor be able to enunciate because Saru is probably the most precise speaking character on show, now that is Doug Jones who is essentially the Michael Jordan of acting in full makeup but still

 

It's almost like there were also good practical reasons to keep the TNG/TMP Klingon look. :thinking:

 

I'm sure the makeup couldn't have been exactly the same even if just because modern cameras would have revealed makeup issues that the cameras they used on DS9 couldn't pick up (like how with the TNG remaster some issues popped up that were never visible in the original because of blurriness/low resolution), but there wasn't anything wrong with the TNG Klingon look the way that wouldn't have held up the way that the TOS Klingon makeup was too outmoded by the time of TMP.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Jason said:

 

It's almost like there were also good practical reasons to keep the TNG/TMP Klingon look. :thinking:

 

I'm sure the makeup couldn't have been exactly the same even if just because modern cameras would have revealed makeup issues that the cameras they used on DS9 couldn't pick up (like how with the TNG remaster some issues popped up that were never visible in the original because of blurriness/low resolution), but there wasn't anything wrong with the TNG Klingon look the way that wouldn't have held up the way that the TOS Klingon makeup was too outmoded by the time of TMP.

 

whatever they used for Worf's make up in the TNG movies looked fine on the big screen and bluray so it should have worked too for discovery in 4k 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ok one this week, Saru's plot felt very forced though, I will reserve judgment on it till we see where they go with the character 

 

I like the engineer, glad she stuck around. She plays off well with Stamets 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×