Days Gone OT - Queasy Rider (Update: Horde DLC)

Pikachu

k, had kind of an intense session so far.

I took out an ambush camp, which gave me the location of a nearby infestation. I can also make my bats even stronger, which is great, but I still have an older one, so I'll wear that one out.

As I take out the nests in the infestation, I'm swarmed by a horde.

I run around and slowly take out the horde, but there's no pop-up that I defeated the horde. Figures there are more left. I use the last of my bat to kill the last of whatever part of the horde I ran into.

I go back to my bike to refill on ammo and a renegade patrol comes and shoots at me.

I go back to the nests and find that the last nest is in a NERO checkpoint.

I go around and make some noise killing a few stragglers and the rest of the horde runs at me.

I use an attractor by the explosives in the checkpoint so the horde surrounds it, then I detonate the explosive, taking out most of the horde. I finish the rest off.

I get the checkpoint up and running and ride to a nearby neighborhood to restock, and that patrol asshole races at me, so I take him down.

I go to the neighborhood and begin to restock, and then a bear charges at me.

I killed the fucking bear and stocked the shit out of everything, plus found ways to enter homes and found new weapons and explosives I didn't previously have.

See, this is why I'm excited already about Bend's next-gen sequel. All this shit happened in one session, it was intense, it was another "nowhere is safe in the world" example, and instead of using fast travel, I was richly rewarded for my exploration (though had to take out a bear to ensure I got my reward). Good shit.

I'm going really slow with this game. I enjoy it in 2 hour sessions. I've just upgraded my bike for the first time and cleared about 3 nest locations, plus another 2 more that were mission based. Hoping back in now. Also, Deacon needs to not talk angry trash the whole time I'm stealth killing freakers. It awkward as Hell, if not funny! :daydream:

When all of the world elements come together, this game is really fun. Unfortunately, it doesn’t happen often enough which is ok when the story and characters are strong enough to carry the game between those moments but Deacon and crew are not doing it for me.  

OK, as of last night I am level 2 at both camps and ostensibly almost ready to hit the road with Boozer! :sun: I hate sniper ambushes! I made it through a particularly harrowing night time tunnel traversal only to get wiped out immediately via sniper fire as I exited the tunnel! :cry:

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

OK, as of last night I am level 2 at both camps and ostensibly almost ready to hit the road with Boozer! :sun: I hate sniper ambushes! I made it through a particularly harrowing night time tunnel traversal only to get wiped out immediately via sniper fire as I exited the tunnel! :cry:

I got to another camp and got to level 2 trust, I believe. Weapons get better, which makes hordes a lot more fun and beatable since you're not supposed to fight them a ton early game. :p 

I've beaten two or three hordes so far, all smaller of course. There are actually more hordes than I thought there would be (there are around 7 in the first area, for example). They're GOLD MINES, and sometimes, they protect something like a NERO Site, so not only do you get XP and bounties, but you get a great upgrade as well.

I love entering a cave and hearing a billion swarmers. I'm just like, "Oh fuck, time to booby-trap the entrance BUAHAHAHAHAHA!"

2 hours ago, SaysWho? said:

I got to another camp and got to level 2 trust, I believe. Weapons get better, which makes hordes a lot more fun and beatable since you're not supposed to fight them a ton early game. :p 

I've beaten two or three hordes so far, all smaller of course. There are actually more hordes than I thought there would be (there are around 7 in the first area, for example). They're GOLD MINES, and sometimes, they protect something like a NERO Site, so not only do you get XP and bounties, but you get a great upgrade as well.

I love entering a cave and hearing a billion swarmers. I'm just like, "Oh fuck, time to booby-trap the entrance BUAHAHAHAHAHA!"

Thinking through my custom Rube Goldberg-esque obstacle courses of death is one of my favorite aspects of this game! :daydream: I can imagine a sequel will several more tiers of devilish devices that can be crafted to add Dead Rising levels of zaniness to the horde fights! :vortex:

I ended up buying it. This is pretty great - only played for a few hours, but I cleared my first nest area at a sawmill, at night, which was a mix of incredible tension and a lot of running for my life. I'm obviously quite bad at the game still, and have no weapons or tricks up my sleeve, so I'm looking forward to whatever skills and tools will make a mission like that a bit more interesting. 

One thing I do not like so far is Deacon. I take it he's meant to be some charming rogue, but without any charm he just kinda seems like an asshole. I'm hoping things improve as the story progresses, but I can't remember the last time I so swiftly and instinctually disliked a game's protagonist this much. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, best3444 said:

What are the negatives for this game?

I'm still very up on it, but I would say:

- Long initial load times, and some minor but noticeable ones in cutscene transitions.
- A little glitchy.  Worst so far was an audio bug that de-synced cutscene audio.  Rebooted the system and all was fine.
- Aiming is slightly wonky.  There's a slight acceleration curve to the aiming controls.  It's not hard to get used to though.

- Sound mixing, at times, is odd.  Particularly when Deacon shouts at something on his bike.
- The story and characters are a little slow going in the first 6-8 hours.  It kind of takes a backseat to you learning the world structure, etc.
- You need to do (story) quests and raid camps to get better guns/bike upgrades.  Foraging and killing zombies alone won't get you there.
- I've heard of performance drops later on with bike upgrades: temporary lurches due to loading world assets.  General framerate should still be fine.

Some things people have complained about: gas, starting stamina, Deacon's character, etc, haven't bothered me.

I like that Deacon isn't your typical optimistic protagonist with a savior complex.  I can still see how some things he does in the early hours rubs people the wrong way.  It rectifies itself as the game continues.

• Thanks 1

I can’t use rocks and binoculars anymore.  While binoculars being unavailable is annoying, not being able to use rocks can be extremely frustrating due to some quests requiring stealth.  The more I play, the rougher the edges get. I am not used to a Sony game lacking this much polish. 

18 minutes ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

I can’t use rocks and binoculars anymore.  While binoculars being unavailable is annoying, not being able to use rocks can be extremely frustrating due to some quests requiring stealth.  The more I play, the rougher the edges get. I am not used to a Sony game lacking this much polish. 

I had the same weird glitch, closed the game and opened, and it worked. Best thing to do is to tweet Bend as they're encouraging people to tweet them with glitches they encounter.

So the scenes showing the beginning of the outbreak in the city - this was supposed to be a playable section, right? And they just cut out the gameplay, strung the cutscenes together and called it a day, right? Cause they are way too disjointed to be anything but. 

10 hours ago, crispy4000 said:

I'm still very up on it, but I would say:

- Long initial load times, and some minor but noticeable ones in cutscene transitions.
- A little glitchy.  Worst so far was an audio bug that de-synced cutscene audio.  Rebooted the system and all was fine.
- Aiming is slightly wonky.  There's a slight acceleration curve to the aiming controls.  It's not hard to get used to though.

- Sound mixing, at times, is odd.  Particularly when Deacon shouts at something on his bike.
- The story and characters are a little slow going in the first 6-8 hours.  It kind of takes a backseat to you learning the world structure, etc.
- You need to do (story) quests and raid camps to get better guns/bike upgrades.  Foraging and killing zombies alone won't get you there.
- I've heard of performance drops later on with bike upgrades: temporary lurches due to loading world assets.  General framerate should still be fine.

Some things people have complained about: gas, starting stamina, Deacon's character, etc, haven't bothered me.

I like that Deacon isn't your typical optimistic protagonist with a savior complex.  I can still see how some things he does in the early hours rubs people the wrong way.  It rectifies itself as the game continues.

Also sometimes dialogue overlaps or the wrong dialogue plays at times.

Overlapping dialogue would be the biggest thing. I'll be talking to Boozer and then I'll hear, "Marauders, bunch of murderers and thieves, I can't let any of them out of here alive." 

The gas/maintenance isn't even a negative for me. It's not cumbersome to do, but it is a situation where they want you to feel like this is your bike, you're not just ditching it for another, and if you don't have gas, you have to change what you're doing or take a detour in potentially hostile territory.

Still, despite the many glitches, I'm impressed that only 50 people were developing this game for the longest time. Bend's expanded since then, and hopefully they continue to grow.

The game needs a better way to inform players on gas. It is hard to judge how much gas is left and what distance you can make with your tank. A simple feature could be placing a waypoint on the map and having Deacon say “Fucking Tuck, I ain’t got enough gas to make it there. I hate you Tuck. I will destroy your camp.  I will end you!”  Right now I just constantly fill up my bike when I see a gas tank which isn’t that fun.

Restarted the game and console, still no binoculars and rocks. Hope this gets patched soon. 

1 minute ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

The game needs a better way to inform players on gas. It is hard to judge how much gas is left and what distance you can make with your tank. A simple feature could be placing a waypoint on the map and having Deacon say “Fucking Tuck, I ain’t got enough gas to make it there. I hate you Tuck. I will destroy your camp.  I will end you!”  Right now I just constantly fill up my bike when I see a gas tank which isn’t that fun.

Restarted the game and console, still no binoculars and rocks. Hope this gets patched soon. 

Bottom right corner shows maintenance and gas. When the gas tank is yellow, start looking for a gas icon. When it's orange, start cussing as if you're Deacon.

On the mini-map, it'll tell you if you can't fast travel someplace because of insufficient fuel, which should help gauge the distance you have left.

Just now, SaysWho? said:

Bottom right corner shows maintenance and gas. When the gas tank is yellow, start looking for a gas icon. When it's orange, start cussing as if you're Deacon.

I know about the icons, but I would like a bit more information. Make it a percentage like you see off the bike so I can judge as I drive how much gas I am burning. 

Now that I have the MWS and pile of gear, I was able to use a couple of attractors to draw the horde into a tight pile up and then tossed a few Molotovs into the pile. I did this from the cover of bushes in a rinse and repeat cycle, then picked off the last 15 or so straglers with my MWS. Over all it went quite well, but I think the horde I killed was only like 60 zombies. 

6 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

Now that I have the MWS and pile of gear, I was able to use a couple of attractors to draw the horde into a tight pile up and then tossed a few Molotovs into the pile. I did this from the cover of bushes in a rinse and repeat cycle, then picked off the last 15 or so straglers with my MWS. Over all it went quite well, but I think the horde I killed was only like 60 zombies. 

See now we have to do another podcast where we not only talk God of War, but we talk Spidey and Days Gone. In fact, let's do a Sony First Party podcast. You fuckers know I can talk by myself for two fucking hours on this shit and I can even reference my 2017 comments on Days Gone and see how close I was and then we can be like k good night.

• Haha 1

59 minutes ago, best3444 said:

I'm so conflicted with buying this game. I wish there were more patches available. Any idea when another patch is coming. Seems like a clunky experience. 

I don't think the bugs are make or break in this case - I wouldn't call it clunky to play.  There's just some open world jank.

No idea when the next patch is coming, but Bend is adding some free modes and features in June.

• Thanks 1

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Duderino said:

He talks a little more about it here.  Thinks it won't be quite as big as Horizon, but still a very successful selling game at launch.

As he says, the game's always tracked well in pre-release metrics, in spite of some loud voices against it.  Now after launch, the general vibe is that Days Gone is imperfect, but underrated and worth playing.

For all the perceived hate against the game before (and at?) launch, the reaction post-release is a different story.  There's less dog piling, more questioning the critics.  I saw this here and thought it was telling:

KQcBiNv.png
YFoBU7L.jpg

Goes to show that it's appreciated more by gamers than critics (on average), and word of mouth could help carry it in the future.  It's still selling well regardless.

10 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

I think I encountered my first horde last night. I died. Twice. I don't think I'm ready yet.

It was a ton of them mostly in a train car by a Nero station.

That's a horde.

You're not ready yet, and it's fine. You'll be ready eventually, but for now, those guys are demons I tells ya.

3 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

That's a horde.

You're not ready yet, and it's fine. You'll be ready eventually, but for now, those guys are demons I tells ya.

I really just ran into them by accident on my way to another mission location. First time I thought they didn't see me and I could sneak around and get some supplies, but that was a no go. I attempted to burn them with molotovs, and I did kill quite a few, but enough swarmed me and I wasn't prepared. I chose to just blow past it all after that.

I'm really enjoying this game. Had some trouble locating all the nest in some zones last night, so I gave up the search and I'll go back to them later.

34 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

I think I encountered my first horde last night. I died. Twice. I don't think I'm ready yet.

It was a ton of them mostly in a train car by a Nero station.

That's the first horde you encounter and the smallest I think. It's also the ONLY one I've defeated so far.