Please Teacher Coming to Blu-Ray

51 minutes ago, HGLatinBoy said:

I have this on dvd the premise is about a kid that has falls for his teacher but its okay it turns out he was stuck in time and he's really older than he appears but he's just in highschool finishing things up. I think the teacher is an alien or something. 

It’s more about the teacher being an alien than that other stuff :p 

Yeah, saw this on Rightstuf's site the other day. Never seen it and don't know if I ever will as it generally doesn't fall into a genre I care for. That said as far as "harem" shows go I did get sucked into the Monogatari franchise but that series has incredibly strong direction and a mostly fantastically developed cast of characters and I'm surely not going to find the same here. Not meaning that as a slight on PT mind you, just that there's a decent gulf between the 2 as far as perceived quality goes. Might be a solid pickup during one of Rightstuf's many sales though.

3 hours ago, VKPButcher said:

Yeah, saw this on Rightstuf's site the other day. Never seen it and don't know if I ever will as it generally doesn't fall into a genre I care for. That said as far as "harem" shows go I did get sucked into the Monogatari franchise but that series has incredibly strong direction and a mostly fantastically developed cast of characters and I'm surely not going to find the same here. Not meaning that as a slight on PT mind you, just that there's a decent gulf between the 2 as far as perceived quality goes. Might be a solid pickup during one of Rightstuf's many sales though. 

Did you ever see Waiting in the Summer? It's like the spiritual successor, it has the same character designer of Please Teacher. It's the same idea but the alien is a fellow classmate instead. I'd say check that out if you haven't and if you enjoy that you'd probably enjoy this show.

As for getting it on Rightstuf there is a good incentive to pre-order because it's only $25. Looks like after it comes out it's going up to $40

10 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Did you ever see Waiting in the Summer? It's like the spiritual successor, it has the same character designer of Please Teacher. It's the same idea but the alien is a fellow classmate instead. I'd say check that out if you haven't and if you enjoy that you'd probably enjoy this show.

As for getting it on Rightstuf there is a good incentive to pre-order because it's only $25. Looks like after it comes out it's going up to $40

I have not seen that, tbqh not even heard of that one. If I get the chance I may check it out. I do remember hearing a fair amount about Please Teacher back in the day along with Please Twins though I'm honestly unsure how strongly the series are related. I just seem to remember the logos for both pretty much being identical so figure there's at least some connection. As for the cost, yeah it ain't bad but trying to scale back from how much I spent over their holiday/new years sales and I just spent another $55 this morning on some older clearance titles. Too many other things at present I'd place a higher priority on owning.

2 minutes ago, VKPButcher said:

I have not seen that, tbqh not even heard of that one. If I get the chance I may check it out. I do remember hearing a fair amount about Please Teacher back in the day along with Please Twins though I'm honestly unsure how strongly the series are related. I just seem to remember the logos for both pretty much being identical so figure there's at least some connection. As for the cost, yeah it ain't bad but trying to scale back from how much I spent over their holiday/new years sales and I just spent another $55 this morning on some older clearance titles. Too many other things at present I'd place a higher priority on owning.

I've never seen Please Twins, though on the last RS holiday sale I did pick it up for cheap so I'll see how it is. :p

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
11 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

So this came out, or I got it in the mail today rather (Please Teacher)

I guess I'll give some impressions later if anyone cares.

I'd be curious to read your re-appraisal of Please Teacher to see if you think it holds up for someone inclined to like this stuff. :)

• Thanks 1

• 5 weeks later...
On 3/6/2019 at 6:51 AM, Greatoneshere said:

I'd be curious to read your re-appraisal of Please Teacher to see if you think it holds up for someone inclined to like this stuff. :)

@Greatoneshere

So I finished this the other day. I put some comparison screenshots together, though there's not too much of a difference. Pretty much a simple up-res, however there was some ugly deinterlacing issues with the DVD that's not on this version. Picture looks good on the TV although the Intro is super blurry. I think it was supposed to be a stylistic choice but it certainly seems out of place.

Spoiler

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

As for "How it holds up for someone who's inclined to like this "stuff"" I would say many people's impressions of what this is ITT are off the mark and I in fact forgot about a lot of the show.

It's really not a Harem because it's mostly about Mizuho and Kei's love while trying to keep it a secret. Sure he has another person that likes him but it's different from a Harem. Also you said comedically abusive, I wouldn't say that either.

The show is actually very mature in handling the subject matter. The show starts out in a fun way but a little before halfway through the show it turns into a very emotional drama and tackles various relationship issues, psychological issues, heartbreak, ups and downs of a relationship, all that stuff.

Personally after having rewatched it I would say it is absolutely worth going back and watching again even more if you haven't seen it in a while.

I mentioned Waiting in the Summer earlier in the thread and having rewatched this kind of sparked my mind because there is a particular character (Yamano) is very similar personality wise to a character in Please Teacher (Ichigo)

So that's what I think!

• Thanks 1

So I got Please Twins in the mail today. @Greatoneshere I'll let you know about this one too so I can confirm you're not interested in it. :p

Also I found this interesting but Nozomi entertainment is actually a Right Stuf studio. I had only known them as an anime store, so cool to know they're licensing old anime re-releases too. (Yeah I'm probably LTTP on this :p )

I watched both of those forever ago. It is amazing how not bad those shows were. I have watched a lot of garbage. I basically can't stand anime anymore. I was really surprised when I found myself enjoying the Slime anime that came out awhile ago. I watched all the EP's over a weekend about a month ago. First anime I have watched in years. 

10 hours ago, Bacon said:

I watched both of those forever ago. It is amazing how not bad those shows were. I have watched a lot of garbage. I basically can't stand anime anymore. I was really surprised when I found myself enjoying the Slime anime that came out awhile ago. I watched all the EP's over a weekend about a month ago. First anime I have watched in years. 

There's still plenty of great anime out there every year - definitely look for what you are interested in and then find the best anime in those categories. 

• 2 weeks later...

@Greatoneshere

I finished up Please Twins tonight. While I have fond memories of Please Teacher (and obviously still enjoy it after the rewatch) I had never seen Please Twins. So I didn't know what to expect.

It's certainly a lot more lighthearted than Please Teacher. Please Teacher was very much a heavy romantic drama that tackled many issues. While Please Teacher likes to keep things a bit silly, that isn't to say there aren't any issues arising.

However, I would say if a teacher and student getting married left a bad taste in your mouth (though it was explained in a way that kept it legal!) Please Twins arguably has more "objectionable" content. Obviously there is the ambiguous relationship between the main character, Mike, and the two girls Mina and Karen.

The idea of the show is that Mike lives in a house he saw in a picture. He was put up for adoption and knows nothing about his mom. There is another girl in the picture who's his sister. So a girl shows up to his house one day with the picture saying that she could be his sister, but another girl shows up with the same picture and says she could be his sister. A bond forms but the idea of "I might be your sister or I might be a stranger" looms large. Also the two girls bathe together often so there is a lot of (non sexual) nudity. And there's this gay guy who's into mike and all that stuff.

Having said that I felt like this one felt more like a "Girls in Charge" type of anime. It felt like a harem but the girls were in charge of what happens to them and to Mike. I dunno, hard to explain.

In any case it's hard to say this is better or worse than Please Teacher. They share the same town, universe and some of the characters but the feel is completely different. That being said I did enjoy my time with it. If you're interested in watching it watching Please Teacher is not a requisite but it would help you understand who some of the characters are, although some, like Ichigo, are a lot different than they were in Please Teacher.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

@Keyser_Soze

These are actually enjoyable bluray small reviews, keep 'em coming! I don't think I'll ever watch either show but I like I know more about them now. The question becomes: did the releases include the one OVA for Please Teacher and the one OVA for Please Twins?

Yeah they're both on there. The "13th episode" for each is considered the OVA. :p

• Thanks 1