Hololens 2

number305

https://www.theverge.com/2019/1/16/18185318/microsoft-hololens-2-mobile-world-congress-press-event-date

Hololens 2 to possibly be shown off next month.  The original hololens has mostly been used at an enterprise level.  I think it would be pretty cool if this could be an accessory for the next Xbox.

AR has some cool applications.  Imagine wearing these while playing a horror game on your TV and you see some monster crawl out of your TV onto your living room floor!

3 hours ago, TwinIon said:

I expect that Hololens will continue to be a very cool tool for enterprises to mess around with while the tech grows up, but I don't expect to see anything a consumer would be willing to pay for anytime soon.

Port over one of those PC Desktop Stripper apps where she's dancing on your coffee table and that shit will go consumer before you can blink.

18 hours ago, Rodimus said:

It will be cool when the AR would cover your entrire field of vision and not a small squre infront of you. I would rather the next xbox have illumaroom.

I'm pretty sure that the key feature of a new iteration of the device will be an improved FOV.  

Illumaroom isn't happening.  Basically to make that function the end user has to set up a projector pointing at their TV wall along with a kinect type device facing towards the TV as well (so it can map the environment).  It looks great in demo's but getting it to work correctly in diverse environments and lighting situations is more of a headache than I think M$ is going to take on.  If the FOV gets dramatically increased there is no reason you couldn't do the same exact thing with hololens.  It would just be strapped to your face and the effect would only be good for the person wearing the device.

Since illumaroom only needs the kinect once to scan the room, I could see in the future it still happening in some form. Perhaps once the face scanning technology/ar initiatives expand on phones we could use our phone to scan the room layout. At that point all they would have to do is sell a sleek low cost high fov low res projector and portable projector technology is also improving and going down in price. 

It wont happen with the launch of next gen or anything but I wouldn’t be surprised to see it or something similar to appear to customers some day. I think it’s too cool and theoretically easy to set up to die.

1 hour ago, stepee said:

Since illumaroom only needs the kinect once to scan the room, I could see in the future it still happening in some form. Perhaps once the face scanning technology/ar initiatives expand on phones we could use our phone to scan the room layout. At that point all they would have to do is sell a sleek low cost high fov low res projector and portable projector technology is also improving and going down in price. 

It wont happen with the launch of next gen or anything but I wouldn’t be surprised to see it or something similar to appear to customers some day. I think it’s too cool and theoretically easy to set up to die.

I would think it would need to scan the room at least every time it starts. Rooms change pretty often. New furniture, new decorations, or even a shift in the projector. Many people won't be able to permanently mount the projector. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

MS showed off the Hololens 2 this weekend at MWC.

vpavic_190131_3213_0029.jpg

The headline feature is a greatly expanded field of view enabled by a whole new display technology. The displays for each eye are 2000x1500, adn much brighter than before, to ensure holograms look much more real. The new HMD also includes eye tracking and iris scanning authentication. They've greatly upgraded the hand tracking abilities as well, so you can interact much more naturally with the holo ui. There's an improved design that should be more comfortable and that allows the headset to flip up. It's powered by a Snapdragon 850 in addition to some custom silicon, and should last ~3 hours on a charge.

Microsoft has been much more clear on who this version is actually for, specifying that this is an enterprise tool. Microsoft thinks that workers fixing complicated machinery or doctors in an operating room will be the ideal users. It's priced accordingly, at $3,500.

Why is it not a consumer product? It’s not as immersive as you want it to be. It’s more than twice as immersive as the previous one, [but it’s] still not immersive enough for that consumer off the street to go use it. It’s still not comfortable enough … I would say that until these things are way more immersive than the most immersive product, way more comfortable than the most comfortable product, and at or under $1,000, I think people are kidding themselves in thinking that these products are ready.