The Division 2 OT - Agent HQ, update: Warlords of New York - Animated Short, Launch, and Gameplay trailers

Pikachu

547375.png

New York is under threat. Aaron Keener, a former Division Agent turned rogue, has taken control of Lower Manhattan, backed by four devoted and highly skilled lieutenants. Trained by The Division but disavowing its ideals, they are now the highest authority in town and the most formidable force the Agents have ever faced.

Play in single-player or online co-op:

- A gripping new story, hunting down your nemesis
- A level 30 boost, allowing you to jump right into the Warlords of New York campaign
- A new open world in New York
- A revamped progression system with a level cap increased to 40
- New tactical options: exotics, gears, and skills
- An extended endgame, including thematic three-month seasons

On 2/11/2020 at 5:16 AM, Xbob42 said:

Three month seasons? Sounds like some battle pass shit. Battle passes can suck my nuts.

The battle pass in the new COD is actually really well implemented. I don’t mind it at all and it’s better than paid DLC that segregates the community. 

2 hours ago, atom631 said:

The battle pass in the new COD is actually really well implemented. I don’t mind it at all and it’s better than paid DLC that segregates the community. 

Hey what if they made paid DLC that didn't segregate the community? It's almost like they create problems and then sell you stupid solutions.

54 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

Hey what if they made paid DLC that didn't segregate the community? It's almost like they create problems and then sell you stupid solutions.

Well they do. You don’t have to buy the battle pass and it still gives you free unlocks. They also sell gun/operator skins with no impact on the game. also if you do buy the battle pass and play pretty frequently - you actually get your money back, so the next season is free. So it’s basically a one-time, optional purchase of $10. 

if this means new maps and modes are released on a pretty steady basis as they’ve been doing - I’m 100% on board with this model. 

29 minutes ago, atom631 said:

Well they do. You don’t have to buy the battle pass and it still gives you free unlocks. They also sell gun/operator skins with no impact on the game.

Ah yes, a battle pass AND a store with even more DLC to purchase. Good point! At least they don't have you publicly opening loot boxes anymore, I guess, but that hardly counts for me.

8 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

“An optional thing exists that I don’t like, which is a personal insult to me” - D1P gaming board 

Aggressive monetization only gets more and more aggressive. They push a little bit farther every single time unless they receive unprecedented pushback, which is extremely rare.

You might say they push it so far that they actually get people to defend dumb shit like Battle Passes because it's "not as bad." It's not segregating the community anymore, neat! But it only segregated the community because that's what they decided, so they've "solved" a problem they artificially created.

And you're not a marketing executive, stop throwing the word "optional" around like it means anything. Fuck off with that shit.

15 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

And you're not a marketing executive, stop throwing the word "optional" around like it means anything. Fuck off with that shit.

Yes I am, but optional is simply the correct word to describe things like battle passes. You don’t have to buy them for the game to function as it’s supposed to. The existence of battle passes has no negative affect on you.

34 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

Ah yes, a battle pass AND a store with even more DLC to purchase. Good point! At least they don't have you publicly opening loot boxes anymore, I guess, but that hardly counts for me.

Aggressive monetization only gets more and more aggressive. They push a little bit farther every single time unless they receive unprecedented pushback, which is extremely rare.

You might say they push it so far that they actually get people to defend dumb shit like Battle Passes because it's "not as bad." It's not segregating the community anymore, neat! But it only segregated the community because that's what they decided, so they've "solved" a problem they artificially created.

But in the instance of this COD, it’s really not aggressive at all and 100% optional. Loot boxes are gone. I really believe it’s a happy medium. 

Aside from that, it’s not like you don’t get anything for your $10. There’s 100 tiers to unlock of cosmetics and COD currency. I actually think you wind up getting like 1900 COD currency for the full season (100=$1). This pays for the battle plass plus lets you buy a cosmetic pack on the store. 

Let Me ask - if you still think this model is bad - what would be your perfect solution to maintaining a live service game with steady updates to keep the playerbase engaged? 

23 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Yes I am

Oh, then kindly fuck off entirely and in perpetuity. Gross.

3 minutes ago, atom631 said:

Let Me ask - if you still think this model is bad - what would be your perfect solution to maintaining a live service game with steady updates to keep the playerbase engaged? 

Why do you need a live service model to keep a player base consistently engaged when you sell a new game every year? The entire concept is fucking idiotic.

2 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

Why do you need a live service model to keep a player base consistently engaged when you sell a new game every year? The entire concept is fucking idiotic.

So you agree that it doesn’t negatively affect you, you just don’t like it.

Which brings us back to

59 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

“An optional thing exists that I don’t like, which is a personal insult to me” - D1P gaming board 

4 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

So you agree that it doesn’t negatively affect you, you just don’t like it.

Weasel marketing 101. The escalating tiers of optionality. This bullshit battle pass I'm selling you is optional. It doesn't affect you. This loot box of trash I'm selling you is optional. It doesn't affect you. The game itself is optional, it doesn't affect you. Please just either buy it or never criticize it. Everything's optional. Save that basic bitch defense for someone who cares.

In case you don't get it: The game shoving shit into my face to buy every time I load it up (it loads up pointing to packs I can buy) is something I don't like, and as such is inherently a negative effect. But that's the minor part, the major part that most definitely isn't "optional" is the infectious nature of "optional" bullshit that has wormed its way into 95% of games. I can't opt out of the influence shit like battle passes have on the industry, and feeling like you're missing out on something and that you don't have the full experience every time you log in isn't optional. Regardless of where you fall on that spectrum of how it does or does not influence you, that is exactly why it sells. That's why all the sales have timers on them and why we have "seasons," to encourage you to play longer which exponentially increases the chances of you buying more shit from the shop on top of your battle pass.

That it's "optional" is a flimsy justification that ignores the fact that some people just want to buy a fucking game and have that be the end of it. Sell me a goddamn complete product.

2 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

Weasel marketing 101. The escalating tiers of optionality. This bullshit battle pass I'm selling you is optional. It doesn't affect you. This loot box of trash I'm selling you is optional. It doesn't affect you. The game itself is optional, it doesn't affect you. Please just either buy it or never criticize it. Everything's optional. Save that basic bitch defense for someone who cares.

This is a compelling argument for literally nothing. 

2 hours ago, Xbob42 said:

How much content do you think is reasonable for a single, $60 release? 

the reason the live service is a good thing is for people like me that might put 300+ hours into a MP game and it doesn’t go stale. New modes, new guns, new maps, etc. 

• 3 weeks later...

I have not kept up with this thread at all, but I recently bought the game given that it was on sale for $3.

My initial (~5 hours) impression of the game is that it's at times very impressive, mostly in production value, but it doesn't feel like anything new. Often, when it turns into a hallway shooter, it feels like it could be 20 years old.

I've been playing on Ultra with the "neutral lighting" option enabled, and while it can be really hard to see things at times, I like that night actually feels like night. I just really wish I had a freaking flashlight. It's been a little while since I've played a modern PC game, and while the Division isn't the most impressive game I've ever played, it looks good, runs well, and loads pretty quick.

One thing that strikes me is the density of it all. I'm not really sure if I would prefer the alternative, but it's almost jarring how many directions you can get pulled in at any given time. I could have a very short walk from where I am to my next destination, and I can get caught up in three random encounters, stumble upon a new control point, be alerted to multiple collectibles, and be asked to join in a random person's mission. Take a screenshot and it looks like a wasteland, but walk 500 feet and it doesn't feel like that at all. Again, maybe I don't want to play a Division game where travel feels like vanilla WoW with lots of empty travel time and the feeling of a huge expanse, but the current juxtaposition is notable.

One thing I'd like some clarity on from experienced players: how does calling for a shepherd work? I've answered a few calls and I've been pretty confused. A few times I got called in at the beginning of missions, and basically played through the mission with them. Were they just using the regular matchmaking system, which then asks random people around the right level to join, or do they ask for help in a specific way?

I've also answered calls just to end up at the very end of a mission or some kind of event, have it finish up within a couple minutes, and get kicked immediately from the group. Again, so are those people specifically asking for help, having me join them for 5 minutes, and kicking me because they're dicks, or is the system calling me into their game for some other reason, so they don't expect a random dude to show up?

On 3/3/2020 at 11:52 AM, TwinIon said:

One thing I'd like some clarity on from experienced players: how does calling for a shepherd work? I've answered a few calls and I've been pretty confused. A few times I got called in at the beginning of missions, and basically played through the mission with them. Were they just using the regular matchmaking system, which then asks random people around the right level to join, or do they ask for help in a specific way?

I've also answered calls just to end up at the very end of a mission or some kind of event, have it finish up within a couple minutes, and get kicked immediately from the group. Again, so are those people specifically asking for help, having me join them for 5 minutes, and kicking me because they're dicks, or is the system calling me into their game for some other reason, so they don't expect a random dude to show up?

@TomCat could probably answer this better than I can but from what I understand when you start matchmaking at a given mission, you can wait until your squad is full to start the mission or you can start matchmaking and then start the mission and people will join your session while the mission is in progress. Whenever I've started a mission, I've always waited until the squad is full before starting the mission especially when tackling higher difficulties. You kinda HAVE to when tackling the harder missions. Some folks don't wait though.

On 2/15/2020 at 8:19 AM, atom631 said:

Well they do. You don’t have to buy the battle pass and it still gives you free unlocks. They also sell gun/operator skins with no impact on the game. also if you do buy the battle pass and play pretty frequently - you actually get your money back, so the next season is free. So it’s basically a one-time, optional purchase of $10. 

if this means new maps and modes are released on a pretty steady basis as they’ve been doing - I’m 100% on board with this model. 

This sounds pretty neat actually. 

On 3/5/2020 at 10:27 PM, skillzdadirecta said:

@TomCat could probably answer this better than I can but from what I understand when you start matchmaking at a given mission, you can wait until your squad is full to start the mission or you can start matchmaking and then start the mission and people will join your session while the mission is in progress. Whenever I've started a mission, I've always waited until the squad is full before starting the mission especially when tackling higher difficulties. You kinda HAVE to when tackling the harder missions. Some folks don't wait though.

shit to be honest I really dont know.  I've never responded to a request. I know being a shepard has its own leveling system.  I mainly play solo and team up with ramdoms to do the Heoric missions.  Gotta get to 40 so i can see what legendary missions are like

Another question for the more experienced:

I just got to 30 and finished the Capital mission. It seems I've now reset the map and entered the endgame (at least what was the endgame before the expansion).

Does the actual gameplay change much at all at this point? If I keep playing will the missions and tasks feel new, or is it pretty much the same as the leveling experience? I feel like I got my $3 worth, and I could keep going, but if it's just more of the same, I think I'll move on.

7 hours ago, TwinIon said:

Another question for the more experienced:

I just got to 30 and finished the Capital mission. It seems I've now reset the map and entered the endgame (at least what was the endgame before the expansion).

Does the actual gameplay change much at all at this point? If I keep playing will the missions and tasks feel new, or is it pretty much the same as the leveling experience? I feel like I got my $3 worth, and I could keep going, but if it's just more of the same, I think I'll move on.

There's new enemies patrolling the map now as well which bring new tactics. I think it's the Mercenary group that takes over.

• 4 months later...