Theresa "Strong & Stable" May's government survives no-confidence motion by 19 votes (325 to 306)

41 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

I just can't believe how they have no good options. Well I mean they do (stay in the EU)...but they have no politically viable options due to their two major parties being totally inept.

Why is it that even with about 50% of the population wishing to stay in the EU neither major party is advocating that stance?

Is it that they genuinely feel now that the vote has been taken they should move forward in that way? Or is it kind of a Trump base thing where both parties are attempting to court the most fervent Leavers because they are the loudest and most passionate even if they're a minority? Or some third reason I am not seeing.

2 minutes ago, Chairslinger said:

Why is it that even with about 50% of the population wishing to stay in the EU neither major party is advocating that stance?

Is it that they genuinely feel now that the vote has been taken they should move forward in that way? Or is it kind of a Trump base thing where both parties are attempting to court the most fervent Leavers because they are the loudest and most passionate even if they're a minority? Or some third reason I am not seeing.

Corbyn doesn't like the EU, and he is elected by the members of the party, not the MPs. So even if his party wants to stay, they have no leverage on him because his base are idiots.

5 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Corbyn doesn't like the EU, and he is elected by the members of the party, not the MPs. So even if his party wants to stay, they have no leverage on him because his base are idiots.

So why not just replace Corbyn? There has to be substantial public demand to stay, so why isn't that bubbling to the surface in these fights?

You mention Corbyn's base....but if they agree with him on leaving then where the hell are all the stayers, because they don't appear to be in May's corner? And they have to be somewhere if they're nearly half the population.

Or is it that Corbyn's supporters are stayers, but it's like Climate Change here where Dems are for it, but it's not the defining issue so they'll vote for him even if they disagree on that one issue?

1 hour ago, SFLUFAN said:

What makes anyone think the EU even wants the UK to remain at this stage?

Because, if I recall correctly, the EU supreme court (or whatever it was) basically said the UK could legally come back to the EU just fine without Brexit if the UK chose to do so, no? That would seem to invite the idea that the EU, if not wants them back, is happy to let them back if the UK really needs it (which they do).

3 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

Because, if I recall correctly, the EU supreme court (or whatever it was) basically said the UK could legally come back to the EU just fine without Brexit if the UK chose to do so, no? That would seem to invite the idea that the EU, if not wants them back, is happy to let them back if the UK really needs it (which they do).

What the European Court of Justice says the UK/EU can do is a very different thing than what the political leadership of the EU member states may want to do.

2 minutes ago, SFLUFAN said:

What the European Court of Justice says the UK/EU can do is a very different thing than what the political leadership of the EU member states may want to do.

Agreed, but it's more proof towards a somewhat related international organization being okay with the UK coming back than against it, no? Is there evidence indicating they actively don't want the UK back or willing to accept them back?

2 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

Pretty much. The question before the court was basically if the UK can change its mind and revoke Article 50 unilaterally, or if the UK would need to negotiate their terms of membership with the EU. The court ruled that the UK could just cancel Brexit.

I think it's safe to say that May isn't going to magically come up with a new deal. So now the choice ends up being between a pro-brexit government deciding to cancel Article 50, almost certainly without another referendum, or leaving the EU without a deal.

The Post notes at the end of this article that "It is possible that both Brussels and the British government will seek to delay the process into the summer," so I suppose there is a way to delay things.

8 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

Agreed, but it's more proof towards a somewhat related international organization being okay with the UK coming back than against it, no? Is there evidence indicating they actively don't want the UK back or willing to accept them back?

I'm not aware of any "tangible" evidence other than the sheer exasperation of the EU leaders with the UK and its government.  And besides, the EU might just want to use the UK to make an example of.

1 hour ago, SFLUFAN said:

I'm not aware of any "tangible" evidence other than the sheer exasperation of the EU leaders with the UK and its government.  And besides, the EU might just want to use the UK to make an example of.

I'd say they want it to be over just as much as anyone but to suggest they more likely are against the UK than for it is a bridge too far I think. They definitely are exasperated, I'm sure, and they will be punitive with the UK once the UK makes up its mind on what its doing as well, I'm sure. :p 

4 hours ago, CitizenVectron said:

They want the benefits of the EU, but no Polish plumbers. That's basically the main issue.

The best part of the Polish plumbers thing is that apparently the reason that happened is because the UK was the only Western European country to not exercise their right for a waiting period on Poles being entitled to full freedom of movement after induction into the EU. :lol:

30 minutes ago, SFLUFAN said:

And you can get new elections at practically anytime!

Man, imagine if we could have had a snap election in February 2017...I mean hell, a snap election a week after the 2016 presidential election probably would have gotten a rather different outcome.

1 hour ago, Jason said:

Man, imagine if we could have had a snap election in February 2017...I mean hell, a snap election a week after the 2016 presidential election probably would have gotten a rather different outcome.

Snap election during inauguration.

• Like 1