Avengers: Endgame Trailer and Discussion Thread

Pikachu

Looks like almost the entire plot has been leaked by what appears to be a credible source on ERA (person who works in QC for Marvel, reviews captions and hearing-impaired accommodations pre-release). I have read it all, and if anyone has specific questions, just let me know and I can spoiler-tag any answers. Obviously can't 100% guarantee the veracity, but based on their history it looks legit. Unfortunately some users took issue with the leak and are making a big stink and trying to get the person in trouble with Marvel, so stuff has been edited out/deleted now. 

EDIT - I know some people don't understand why some people like knowing the plot before a movie comes out, but everyone enjoys entertainment differently. I won't spoil anything for people who don't want to know.

14 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Looks like almost the entire plot has been leaked by what appears to be a credible source on ERA (person who works in QC for Marvel, reviews captions and hearing-impaired accommodations pre-release). I have read it all, and if anyone has specific questions, just let me know and I can spoiler-tag any answers. Obviously can't 100% guarantee the veracity, but based on their history it looks legit. Unfortunately some users took issue with the leak and are making a big stink and trying to get the person in trouble with Marvel, so stuff has been edited out/deleted now. 

EDIT - I know some people don't understand why some people like knowing the plot before a movie comes out, but everyone enjoys entertainment differently. I won't spoil anything for people who don't want to know.

I only want you to answer one question: does it rule?

2 minutes ago, Chris- said:

I only want you to answer one question: does it rule?

Spoilers of what the leakers thought of the movie (just if they thought it was good or not):

Spoiler

They thought it was good.

And my opinion of the plot (just in terms of if it rules):

Spoiler

Yes, it rules.

• Thanks 1

On 4/12/2019 at 1:20 PM, CitizenVectron said:

Before I read your edit, I was about to ask why in the hell anyone would want to read the plot before seeing the movie. Makes zero sense to me. 

Spoilers generally don’t effect my enjoyment of movies or TV shows, so I don’t actively avoid them but I don’t scour the web for them either :p 

3 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Spoilers generally don’t effect my enjoyment of movies or TV shows, so I don’t actively avoid them but I don’t scour the web for them either :p 

I'm not usually one to lose my shit when something is spoiled for me :p (i.e. I'm not that bothered by them either) but this surprises me a bit. 

It seems to me that a lot of emotional moments lose at least some of their punch if you see it coming. 

27 minutes ago, Nokra said:

I'm not usually one to lose my shit when something is spoiled for me :p (i.e. I'm not that bothered by them either) but this surprises me a bit. 

It seems to me that a lot of emotional moments lose at least some of their punch if you see it coming. 

I cry every time Forrest asks Jenny if little Forrest is like him. It just isn’t difficult for me to let the story unfold in front of me each time. I also think great storytelling leads you to empathize with the characters in their current state of mind.

I have a friend who always talks about how weird it is the the incinerator scene in Toy Story 3 isn’t really sad or moving because the audience knows they won’t die, but that isn’t why it’s a moving moment. That scene works on an emotional level because the characters in the film believe they are all about to die. They accept their fate and find comfort in being with their people until the very end.

Are their elements of some types of great stories that can be diminished in some way by a plot twist or similar mechanism? Sure! But great twists aren’t so just because of how the audience reacts to them, but by how the characters in the story react to them. And those reactions in a great story are powerful every single time.

4 hours ago, Nokra said:

For media I love (books, movies, music, whatever) I almost always enjoy, appreciate, and observe subsequent consumption more than the novelty of the first experience.

Personally this is especially true with more emotional stories, as I find that well crafted work rewards additional exploration beyond what the novel experience did.

To each their own, of course. 

26 minutes ago, Brick said:

Hopefully my 10:30 showing is too late for some kids. 

On the contrary. Mary and Geoff couldn’t get a babysitter and figured it’d be okay to bring their infant child because she would be sleeping anyways 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

Bitching about the potential presence of children in the the movie theater during an MCU movie is fucking rich. 

Sorry, I prefer to enjoy things without a screaming child. I don’t care if I bought a ticket to dude where’s my car. If a baby starts crying I’m gonna be bothered. I don’t have anything against kids. Like a 5 year old can probably handle it. I don’t expect them to sit there silently for 3 hours. My issue is babies being babies or people talking on and on... 

Anyways, most of my bad experiences at the theatre are because of idiot teenagers. 

• Thanks 1

Yeah, unless you're seeing barney the dinosaur or something similar, leave any kid under 4 at home. And unless you are seeing a kids movie, leave any kid who can't behave in a theater at home.

I'm not taking my 6 year old to the Avengers. He can behave himself for the most part, but typically gets a little squirmy at points and always asks to go to the bathroom at least once even though I know he really doesn't. Mostly he just distracts me...

4 hours ago, johnny said:

Sorry, I prefer to enjoy things without a screaming child.

File that one away in the "no shit" folder. :p I just can't bring myself to get worked up about a child being present in the theater for a franchise that's adored by children.

1 hour ago, CitizenVectron said:

2.png

Whoever made this is a filthy liar, old people have some of the absolute worst theater behavior of any age group. They have to pee thanks to renal failure and weak prostates, they ask "who was that again" and "why did that happen" more than anyone, they maintain that bitching loudly about the moviegoing habits of younger patrons somehow is not a bad moviegoing habit in of itself, they firmly FIRMLY BELIEVE that the trailers are not worth putting their phones away for, and NO AGE GROUP has worse phone etiquette than the > 55 crowd.

Try telling someone with grandchildren to put away their phone while they're looking at Facebook during the trailers, just be sure to have your will in order first. If @sblfilms does that without a flak jacket he's the bravest man I know.

I have the opposite experience. I don't think I've ever noticed an asshat in the theatre being an old person. The getting up to pee thing doesn't really bother me anymore because all the theaters around here have the luxury seats with way more room in front of you. But I never see an old person on their phone during the trailers or movie. It's always the teenagers/young adults. It's always the younger group that's talking loudly. My favorite time to go to the movies is the morning and the 90% old people demo has to have something to do with it. It's fantastic. 

I'll never forget seeing Deadpool on Valentines Day and this high school couple next to me started making out and cuddling (was the girl getting finger blasted? possibly. but i wasn't going to snitch on that young man). Or the time teenagers started pulling out their phone during Conjuring 2. Or when I was watching Shazam and these teens were doing, idk wtf they were doing they were playing musical chairs or some shit and laughing for 5 minutes. I would have been so pissed if i saw Hereditary and kids started doing the tongue click during the movie. Luckily, I went in the morning. 

Kids are fine in the theatre as long as they quiet when they're supposed to be. 

This is now the theatre etiquette thread. 

2 hours ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

I feel like parents are just too goddamned permissive these days. I'm definitely against hitting your kids, but seems like a lot of parents just don't do much of any type of punishment and it shows.

I so agree with you.