Avengers: Endgame Trailer and Discussion Thread

Pikachu

49 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

Not only that, but originally on the Endgame poster Danari Gurrira (who plays Okoye) was left off of the official poster until someone online noticed and they quickly added her on. Fail.

I think it's interesting that Gamora and Loki are on there, so the black and white posters aren't just showing people who got dusted, but also killed. Separately, the Loki poster saying "avenge the fallen" seems fucked up since Loki has killed innumerable innocent sentient beings. 

Also, what was the whole point of what Shuri was doing to Vision at the end of Infinity War if both of them were going to get dusted? The last we see of Shuri she's running away with the data she needs escaping Thanos' minions. Then she gets dusted off screen. That data was a key plot point of Infinity War and why they were in Wakanda, etc. to a degree. Seems weird.

Not entirely weird. I'm not of the opinion that we're going back in time. If we're undusting everyone, that means Loki, Gamora, and Loki are still dead. Loki might not actually be dead because Loki. Gamora is probably in some Soul Stone dimension. Vision is still dead, though, and it would take some Shuri magic to bring him back.

That said, she could actually help in any attempts to bring everyone back. Unless Killmonger comes back from the dead and shows up to help, that leaves the incredibly successful Black Panther without anyone of import to assist with the undusting.

2 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

Not entirely weird. I'm not of the opinion that we're going back in time. If we're undusting everyone, that means Loki, Gamora, and Loki are still dead. Loki might not actually be dead because Loki. Gamora is probably in some Soul Stone dimension. Vision is still dead, though, and it would take some Shuri magic to bring him back.

That said, she could actually help in any attempts to bring everyone back. Unless Killmonger comes back from the dead and shows up to help, that leaves the incredibly successful Black Panther without anyone of import to assist with the undusting.

I don't think we're going back in time too, just interesting they combined killed individuals with dusted individuals for "fallen" characters. I don't think it indicates anything about the plot, but it is interesting. I mean, they're killed, so they shouldn't come back, so why are they getting posters? We don't need confirmation they are dead like the dusted characters, we saw it happen. But could just be them being thorough and complete. 

17 hours ago, Ghost_MH said:

I believe he killed half the Asgardian refugees. Valkyrie would have been with the half that was sent off into space. What's not fair is that his finger snap would have dusted half of those people.

Also, yeah, the Iron Man crew made it out fine while the Black Panther crew gets left with just Okoye. I swear someone at Marvel noticed and that's the only reason Okoye is on the Endgame poster. I somehow doubt she has much of a role in the mounting attack against Thanos. That probably means Black Panther won't have a representative in the undust people campaign. I'd love to be wrong, but I kind of doubt it.

I don't think they were intentionally trying to kill off all the black people... I think the intent was (for the most part) to reassemble the avengers team from the first avengers movie.  Notice that they all survived the snap.

2 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

I don't think we're going back in time too, just interesting they combined killed individuals with dusted individuals for "fallen" characters. I don't think it indicates anything about the plot, but it is interesting. I mean, they're killed, so they shouldn't come back, so why are they getting posters? We don't need confirmation they are dead like the dusted characters, we saw it happen. But could just be them being thorough and complete. 

I think they got posters just as a matter of being comprehensive. Loki was big, popular part of the MCU, so it makes sense that you'd want to use his image in marketing.

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

I am 100% convinced we are going back in time based on set pics and the trailer. But I don't think they are going back in time to stop Thanos, I think they are going back in time to duplicate the stones and then bring them forward again to fight him, with their own gauntlet.

Please no, that would be awful.

What I could see is a fight against Thanos where he only has a few stones he can use at a time since he has no gauntlet. Everyone then gets unsnapped by a Stormbringer with all the stones embedded into it. Stormbringer explodes either killing Thor or whoever else is holding it at the time...like Cap.

What I don't want is time travel here, because that would suck.

1 hour ago, CitizenVectron said:

I bet they will use the quantum realm to travel through time, or maybe different dimensions. It also would let them give Cap a happy ending, with him going to a different time/dimension at the end of WWII and staying with Peggy.

I just really don't want any time travel to be involved. Like if you told me the dusted away people are stuck in another dimension you could travel to through the quantum realm, I'd be ok with that. My problem is specifically with time travel and how it makes a mess of everything.

Here's my guess. The snap actually created an alternate dimension where everyone that dusted in Infinity Wars is alive and well. However, in their world, everyone else is missing. Nobody is dead, their just stuck in an alternate reality. The "survivors" from Infinity War have to figure out some quantum realm tomfoolery to merge the two realities.

If that happens then Thanos sort of becomes less on an uncaring figure. He wanted the stones so that he could halve the population without killing everyone like he had been up to that point.

7 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

Also, what was the whole point of what Shuri was doing to Vision at the end of Infinity War if both of them were going to get dusted? The last we see of Shuri she's running away with the data she needs escaping Thanos' minions. Then she gets dusted off screen. That data was a key plot point of Infinity War and why they were in Wakanda, etc. to a degree. Seems weird.

You mean why was she trying to separate the stone from Vision? It sounds like you forgot some of the plot. It's so Vision could live while they destroyed his stone and prevented the snap.

21 hours ago, TwinIon said:

I think they got posters just as a matter of being comprehensive. Loki was big, popular part of the MCU, so it makes sense that you'd want to use his image in marketing.

Sure, but then why was Heimdall left out? He actually had an epic exit in Infinity War doing something very useful. I think the lack of Heimdall is disturbing if we're keeping in Gamora and Loki then, no? Also leaving off another black actor/actress from posters . . . 

17 hours ago, Reputator said:

You mean why was she trying to separate the stone from Vision? It sounds like you forgot some of the plot. It's so Vision could live while they destroyed his stone and prevented the snap.

No, I remember all of that, and she failed to succeed (obviously) but then ran off like she was able to snag some important data from her attempt, if I recall correctly, and that's the last we see of her in the film. It definitely seemed like all that effort would be important, otherwise what was the point of all the buildup of doing what she was doing only to fail and make nothing of that failure in the film? It's the reason Rogers, et. al. went to Wakanda in the first place. 

I cannot imagine Endgame without time travel in some way. Between Strange fucking with the Time Stone, multiple references to the Quantum Realm being “beyond time,” and the thematic nature of closing out the Infinity Stone saga by revisiting the “greatest hits” of the movies to date... it’s probably happening? I also can’t see any way they’ll resurrect half the population of the universe when preventing them from dying is on the table. 

On 3/29/2019 at 10:37 AM, Greatoneshere said:

No, I remember all of that, and she failed to succeed (obviously) but then ran off like she was able to snag some important data from her attempt, if I recall correctly, and that's the last we see of her in the film. It definitely seemed like all that effort would be important, otherwise what was the point of all the buildup of doing what she was doing only to fail and make nothing of that failure in the film? It's the reason Rogers, et. al. went to Wakanda in the first place. 

I just rewatched it. She actually turns to fight the alien dude that's coming for Vision. She gets knocked down in that fight, and that's the last we see of her. As for the point of it all, it mostly felt like their excuse to bring in the Wakanda crew. Wakanda is the perfect location for a big defensive battle and Shuri operating on Vision provides a decent ticking clock. And sure, they go through all that just to fail, but that's kinda what happened throughout the whole movie. 

14 minutes ago, TheLeon said:

I just rewatched it. She actually turns to fight the alien dude that's coming for Vision. She gets knocked down in that fight, and that's the last we see of her. As for the point of it all, it mostly felt like their excuse to bring in the Wakanda crew. Wakanda is the perfect location for a big defensive battle and Shuri operating on Vision provides a decent ticking clock. And sure, they go through all that just to fail, but that's kinda what happened throughout the whole movie. 

I guess the film not really finishing that plot thread and never calling attention to that idea is weird but it's certainly possible nothing more was ever meant to be done with Shuri and Vision but it seemed like there was supposed to be more there. 

spacer.png

Looking at this image I just had a thought.  I kinda did an internal double take then had to pull up infinity war to confirm something...

Spoiler

I think when Thanos snapped - he died too.  The above poster started the thought in my head.  He is not in color like the people that are alive, he is grayed out with the people that are dead.  I went back and watched the scene in IW.  When he snaps he immediately is inside the soul stone talking to the child Gamora.  He is never seen on the battlefield again.  My theory is that he is dusted along with everyone else.  For the final scene when he is on the farm I think that is some form of afterlife.  To undo the snap I think the Avengers will first need to bring him back.

I haven't read the comics.  Am I way off base?

1 hour ago, TwinIon said:

So tickets are on sale and it seems the AMC app/website is incapable of handling the load. For previous movies I'd just pick a different theater, but I'm trying to get a seat through A-List. So now we play the waiting game.

I had the same problem trying to book tickets with Atom. I had more luck with Fandango.

2 hours ago, number305 said:

spacer.png

Looking at this image I just had a thought.  I kinda did an internal double take then had to pull up infinity war to confirm something...

Hide contents

I think when Thanos snapped - he died too.  The above poster started the thought in my head.  He is not in color like the people that are alive, he is grayed out with the people that are dead.  I went back and watched the scene in IW.  When he snaps he immediately is inside the soul stone talking to the child Gamora.  He is never seen on the battlefield again.  My theory is that he is dusted along with everyone else.  For the final scene when he is on the farm I think that is some form of afterlife.  To undo the snap I think the Avengers will first need to bring him back.

I haven't read the comics.  Am I way off base?

I think you're forgetting after that scene with child Gamora ends, we see Thanos again with the axe in his chest and the glove and stones all messed up with Thor asking "What did you do?" then Thanos teleports out.

People have pieced together the first 20-30 minutes of the film as well as a rough idea of the rest of it using set pics, trailers, toys (including lines spoken by audio toys), etc. Beware, spoilers!!

Spoiler

Movie starts immediately after IW. Probably with scene of Hawkeye watching family get dusted. 

Captain Marvel shows up within the day or two after.

They use the energy signature from the snap to find where Thanos teleported to (Titan II).

The mount a mission (seen in the most recent trailer thing) to fight him (and save Tony on the way).

They lose (or beat him physically, but it doesn't matter because the gauntlet is used up)

Time jump to 5 years later.

Hawkeye is Ronin, etc.

Ant-Man appears from Quantum Realm.

They use Pym Tech to travel back in time to various points to gather and make copies of the Infinity Stones to make their own gauntlet.

They use BARF suits to change their clothing/costumes to match the time they are in. So they revisit Battle of NYC for example and use their old suits to blend in, etc.

Come back to present time (or possibly the events of IW pre-snap) and fight Thanos. 

Professor Hulk puts on gauntlet copy and fights Thanos, possibly snaps possibly and brings everyone back. Hulk's arm either explodes or is cut off by Thanos (confirmed Hulk loses arm).

Unknown after this, but looks like Cap picks up gauntlet and uses it (sacrificing himself) to kill Thanos, as everyone else combined (brought back) still can't stop him.

I got a poor seat for a 6:15pm showing on Thursday, but I see that the local IMAX / Dolby doesn't have any showtimes on Thursday between 2:00am and 10:00pm, so I'm guessing they'll add a few showings then. Maybe I'll be able to nab one if I remember to check up on it.

Canada’s theatre chain Cineplex app is running like shit and can’t get ahold of anything. Hoping to catch it in 3D with Dolby Atmos on the Thursday if it ever starts to work again.

Some sites are already saying that the pre-sales are 3X what Infinity War had

9 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

Can we all accept that the “only showing stuff from the first 30 minutes” thing is a lie now? Or there’s stuff we’ve seen that’s a deliberate Hulk in Infinity War style fake out? I can’t imagine that’s true anymore assuming it ever was.

There’s going to be a badass “getting the squad back together” montage in the beginning 

26 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

Can we all accept that the “only showing stuff from the first 30 minutes” thing is a lie now? Or there’s stuff we’ve seen that’s a deliberate Hulk in Infinity War style fake out? I can’t imagine that’s true anymore assuming it ever was.

The most recent 1-min trailer has at least one CGI cover up, it's strongly believed:

Spoiler

Cap in his IW costume (when he's on the ground) is a CGI coverup of him in a different suit, likely his Avengers 1 suit.

And the footage is almost entirely from the first 30-40 minutes, likely including the shots of Thanos in the new 1-min trailer and them in space. Thanos confrontation is likely the end of the first act.