Avengers: Endgame Trailer and Discussion Thread

Pikachu

22 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

Reveal hidden contents

Idk but 

Spoiler

I’m expecting more prequels besides just black widow lol 

Oh man, I didn't notice this while watching, but I just saw a comment on reddit about this, and looked it up, and holy shit it's true. :lol:

Spoiler

Howard the Duck

Marvel’s most ridiculous character made a very brief cameo in Endgame, his third cameo in the MCU (having appeared in both Guardians of the Galaxy films). In Endgame, the scene where the resurrected heroes fight against the forces of Thanos shows Howard, armed with a gun, right behind the Wasp.

It’s a blink-and-you’ll-miss-it scenario, and there are photos floating around the internet, but the easter egg makes a great excuse for a rewatch, if you really need one.

It’s unclear if the bizarre character is ever making a proper appearance on screen (though he’s no weirder than Rocket Raccoon), but it’s worth noting that Howard is apparently James Gunn’s favorite character as a child, which explains why he keeps turning up in his movies.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/danidiplacido/2019/04/27/7-subtle-details-you-might-have-missed-in-avengers-endgame/#497668c168cf

I thought I read somewhere around here that the next planned phase/block of storyline for Marvel was going to be the Secret Wars? If that's true, then I bet we'll see mutants appear in pieces of movies, like how Spider-Man showed up in Civil War, and that the "long wait" for X-Men and FF4 movies is more of a statement about seeing entire group films versus seeing early extended cameo appearances

so about Cap..

Spoiler

-the time travel/timeline Peggy thing is very out of character for him...so time travel is weird... but the ending is annoying in that it wanted to give fans what “we” wanted so badly that it threw its own logic out the window....Cap took the stones back to their right place in time, but they were in stone form...not as the Tesseract, not as the Scepter etc.... how does he return the soul stone? (here red skull refund)...... can u imagine Cap sneaking around trying to reinject Jane Foster?

-Fortnite still being played in 2023 is a bit of a stretch

1 hour ago, 5timechamp said:

so about Cap..

Hide contents

-the time travel/timeline Peggy thing is very out of character for him...so time travel is weird... but the ending is annoying in that it wanted to give fans what “we” wanted so badly that it threw its own logic out the window....Cap took the stones back to their right place in time, but they were in stone form...not as the Tesseract, not as the Scepter etc.... how does he return the soul stone? (here red skull refund)...... can u imagine Cap sneaking around trying to reinject Jane Foster?

-Fortnite still being played in 2023 is a bit of a stretch

just another of many plot holes. You just need to not think too much about it....though of course that's pretty much all I have been doing :lol:

4 hours ago, IdeaOfEvil said:

I thought I read somewhere around here that the next planned phase/block of storyline for Marvel was going to be the Secret Wars? If that's true, then I bet we'll see mutants appear in pieces of movies, like how Spider-Man showed up in Civil War, and that the "long wait" for X-Men and FF4 movies is more of a statement about seeing entire group films versus seeing early extended cameo appearances

They've been pretty tightlipped about what comes next. As for Secret Wars, what you probably heard was the Russo bros saying that is something they'd love to do in the future. 

8 hours ago, 5timechamp said:

so about Cap..

Reveal hidden contents

Yeah, none of that made sense. My friend and I were talking about that. And also...

I don't think Steve can return to his old timeline just by returning the stones, however the hell he managed that. Even doing that doesn't reverse all the other splintering they've done to the timeline, taking Mlonir, interacting with their other selves, etc. Just following the movie's own logic.

4 minutes ago, johnny said:
  Hide contents

I honestly couldn’t care less about their time travel rules and what’s possible. It’s time travel ffs 

This... I haven't talked to one person who saw this movie outside of the internet who gives the slightest  shit about any of that stuff. It's a theoretical , made up concept that most people's perceptions about come from other movies.

7 minutes ago, Reputator said:

Yeah, none of that made sense. My friend and I were talking about that. And also...

Reveal hidden contents

Spoiler

I thought it was made pretty clear that the point of returning the stones  to exactly when they were taken was NOT to undo the branchpoints, because it was too late for that, but rather to keep the newly-created realities from having a chance to start unraveling due to the absence of the stones.

Also, sorry if I'm repeating something I saw here, I can't remember if I saw any of this on here or on reddit and I'm not opening every single spoiler tag to make sure

Spoiler

Regarding Steve on the bench seeming problematic, with the jump to 1970s New Jersey, we saw that you don't have to come back to the platform and that you can use it to jump to arbitrary times and locations, and that the platform was just set as a default. One possibility I've seen floated that I think makes a lot of sense is that Cap goes back to WWII, changes the settings on his time travel device so that Banner can't automatically bring him back, and then lives out his life with Peggy in an alternate reality. And then once alternate-reality Peggy dies, that he uses the device to jump back to the bench.

Another option that occurs to me is that since 2023 Cap going back in time to live out his life with Peggy doesn't prevent Cap from being available to go into the ice during WWII, it's possible that if he just kept his mouth shut and kept a really low profile that it wouldn't actually cause a branchpoint. Now, I'm less inclined to go with it because nothing in the movie explicitly says that changes have to be of a certain order of magnitude to create a new branch of reality. But if you think Peggy's unnamed husband in Winter Soldier was supposed to be Cap, then it would solve the issue of how that could have happened.

1 hour ago, skillzdadirecta said:

This... I haven't talked to one person who saw this movie outside of the internet who gives the slightest  shit about any of that stuff. It's a theoretical , made up concept that most people's perceptions about come from other movies.

I care. I live outside the Internet. My blood is red. Isn't that enough?

• Haha 1

On 4/26/2019 at 6:14 PM, sblfilms said:

Dudes have big moments together in these movies all the time, that is why it “feels forced” when characters who don’t normally get those moments end up with them. If such a scene happened with regularity, nobody would even notice that it happened.

It will always feel forced when people make an effort to show something outside of the norm. This same complaint gets made about racial minorities entering spaces mostly reserved for the majority.

100% this. Given the sheer amount of fuckery, serendipity, happenstance, coincidence, etc., that propel this entire two movie saga, calling out that scene specifically is the weakest of sauces.

EDIT - more spoilery context

Spoiler

Calling out that scene as contrived or convenient or whatever not long after:

1) Cap is an instant fucking wizard with Mjolnir, forget that Odin specifically said Mjornir focused Thor’s lighting powers and wasn’t the source of them Cap can just use it to call lightning

2) Literally every dusted character comes back at the most convenient moment possible

3) Tony and Cap just guess about the location of the tesseract and they’re totally right! And they get to see their past loved ones too! There’s Pym particles in a building run by Shield even though Hank specifically said he spent his life trying to keep them away from Howard!

Give me a break.

More thoughts later after I recover from renal failure. But it’s really good.

2 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I should mention that none of this detracts at all from my enjoyment of the movie. Not even a bit. I'm just expressing where my mind has wandered to since seeing it.

3 minutes ago, Reputator said:

I should mention that none of this detracts at all from my enjoyment of the movie. Not even a bit. I'm just expressing where my mind has wandered to since seeing it.

Again, I don't understand what's so hard to get about this being the kind of forum where you're gonna find the kind of people who enjoy nitpicking these movies, not because they want to tear down the movie, but because it's just geeky fun.

Most people don't care about video games enough to argue about them on internet message boards either. 

1 minute ago, Jason said:

Again, I don't understand what's so hard to get about this being the kind of forum where you're gonna find the kind of people who enjoy nitpicking these movies, not because they want to tear down the movie, but because it's just geeky fun. 

Especially..

time traveling

....movies. I have probably the most fun thinking about stuff like that in the movies that have dealt with that subject.

This board in particular loves to be contrarian and nitpick the posters over the content of the posters. But it's smart people all doing it here (and johnny) which is what makes it so enjoyable, lol

Spoiler

Can't talk about females because the posters are haters.

Can't talk about time travel because no one else on the internet is.

Can't talk about ridiculous plot conveniences because it's a comic book movie.

25 minutes ago, Jason said:

Most people don't care about video games enough to argue about them on internet message boards either. 

Because this forum has a history of crossing the line from geeky fun to over the top annoying nitpicking. *see any Man of Steel/Star Wars discussion 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Mercury33 said:

Because this forum has a history of crossing the line from geeky fun to over the top annoying nitpicking. *see any Man of Steel/Star Wars/Avengers/Game Of Thrones discussion 

FTFY

14 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

People bitching about the female stuff are fucking idiotic. And probably sexist. 

It just comes off realllly transparent. 

2 minutes ago, Mercury33 said:

Probably? I’d say definitely. 

So would I.

Okay, fine. I was gonna offer a little caveat. :p 

But it's like Kal said: 

Spoiler

We're supposed to suspend disbelief for super powered humans and aliens, and the like. Then there's time travel and all the fuckery involved with that. And all the convenient happenings for these movies to take place. Tony and Steve picking just the right time to run into a father and a lost love? All that's fine and dandy, but it's just unrealistic and "forced" when a group of female superheroes band together in a battle. Though we've seen male superheroes do it all the fucking time.

Give me a break.