Avengers: Endgame Trailer and Discussion Thread

Pikachu

1 minute ago, EternallDarkness said:

and now here's another question to ponder

Hide contents

How the flaming hell are they going to deal with things going forward....It was 2018 when Infinity War took place....Endgame is five years later.....so Far From Home is taking place in 2023??? And if that is the case how in the hell does the world look that normal in the previews? We saw what a shithole many places around the world had become after half the world disappeared....granted those shots of San Fran could have been from today :p but you saw how rundown areas were, are we supposed to think half the world instantly returning after being gone 5 years things are just going to somehow go back to normal? You'd have a ton of people who had moved on, remarried, started new families and then bang their old families return. The time travel angle really screws things going on from here unless they are somehow just going to ignore it. 

Spoiler

I don't think this is something they can just pretend never happened. It'll remain a mess and I'm sure some of that mess will be dealt with in the upcoming season of Agents of Shield. I have no idea how much it'll impact the future movies.

That said, dealing with this could be part of why Far from Home is considered the final movie in this phase and not the start of the next. Spiderman's next movie could wind up being an epilogue for Phase 3.

Also, are we going to ignore that they went to New York to get the Time Stone from Strange, not knowing he want in possession of the stone yet, but TAO just happened to be chilling there? I guess we can just assume she was there just watching the events of the attack on New York.

2 minutes ago, EternallDarkness said:

hey when a city requires a sidewalk human poop app, then that city is a shithole :p so SF qualifies

That's what all of us Bay Area folks got out of this movie - there being 50% less shit on our sidewalks and the Avengers trying to undo that snap haha

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Ghost_MH said:

Reveal hidden contents

my assumption is that 

Spoiler

she was there to protect the sanctum during the attack 

I don't really put much thought or emotion into these movies and think most are pretty mediocre. But I thought this was great and it made me appreciate the other ones a bit more. 

Spoiler

Iron Man's sacrifice was cool and I loved the Black Widow vs Hawkeye moment. But I thought there'd be more death.

Also maybe I missed it but what happened to Gamorrah? Back to her own timeline/reality? I didn't see that onscreen.

39 minutes ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

I don't really put much thought or emotion into these movies and think most are pretty mediocre. But I thought this was great and it made me appreciate the other ones a bit more. 

Hide contents

Iron Man's sacrifice was cool and I loved the Black Widow vs Hawkeye moment. But I thought there'd be more death.

Also maybe I missed it but what happened to Gamorrah? Back to her own timeline/reality? I didn't see that onscreen.

Spoiler

She seems to have taken off. Quill's Gamora is gone for good. This one while still hating Thanos and wanting his plan to fail had no memory of loving Peter, being part of the team, or reconciling with her sister. I believe what we saw at the end was Quill using the computer to try and track her.   As for death, remember half of Asgard is still dead, half of Zandar is dead, Vision is dead and gone (at least for now, time will tell if Shuri can 'remake' him. All those killed before the snap remained dead. 

32 minutes ago, EternallDarkness said:

Hide contents

She seems to have taken off. Quill's Gamora is gone for good. This one while still hating Thanos and wanting his plan to fail had no memory of loving Peter, being part of the team, or reconciling with her sister. I believe what we saw at the end was Quill using the computer to try and track her.   As for death, remember half of Asgard is still dead, half of Zandar is dead, Vision is dead and gone (at least for now, time will tell if Shuri can 'remake' him. All those killed before the snap remained dead. 

Spoiler

The only two characters I can think of that were just forgotten by the writers entirely were Sif and Kate. Sif was last seen on an episode of Agents of Shield, and Kate was last seen kissing Cap before the end fight of Civil War =/

Neither died before the snap, neither were shown to have been affected one way or another after the snap, neither showed up to do anything after the reverse snap, and nothing was ever mentioned about them in the flash back scenes. No one ever talked about them, and they weren't even mentioned in the end credits... They must have pissed someone off pretty badly to be the only two excluded from the franchise ender.

Kinda of a shame, really.

Spoiler

The whole avengers assemble scene was so fucking badass. 

Thor was amazing. The whole Big Lebowski thing was killing me lmao. Dude was in sweatpants for the beginning. “... is he asleep?” 

Im surprised nebula was so important in this movie but Karen Gillan has done such a great job evolving her character as Nebula regains her humanity and stuff 

the scene where Hulk has to take the stairs had me rolling. “TOO MANY STAIRS!”

the Hawkeye/Widow Thing was cool. Made sense from their perspective for Widow to go. Though, I’m not interested in a prequel for her. Was holding onto a sliver of hope her movie would be in the present. 

If Thor is in Guardians 3 it’s going to be fucking amazing

i liked all the female stuff. Others are 100% right. It’s “out of place” to some because we never see it. Cap/Ironman/5 other males could show up like that and nobody would bitch “the logistics and size of the battlefield makes it improbable that these women could all end up in one place” shut up pussies 

• Like 1

First off, I NEED to see it a 2nd time, just do not know when. Absolutely floored, loved every second of it. Essentially I ugly cried while laughing hysterically for 3 hours and walked out emotionally drained and hollowed out at just how overwhelmingly awesome the whole thing was. A couple things that haven't been mentioned by others that I would love to throw into the mix:

Spoiler

1. No one else is upset about the fact we will never get to see Cap/Red Skull again? I mean just imagine that scene on Vormir when Steve walks up and there's Skull ... then again maybe Red Skull wasn't there, so who knows.

2. Loki ... so he's alive, but in another timeline? This leads me to ...

3. There HAS to be some way to begin to describe the other MCU Universe's then going forward right? Try as you may, try as you might, some fuckery happened in the alt time lines right? Perhaps this is the overarching story for the next saga?

4. Calling it now, Adam Warlock will be essentially the new OP character to replace Vision in the next few phases ... unless for some reason Thicc Thor kills him in GotG3.

Anxious to see continuing impressions and conversations. Also, can't wait to see what Marvel has to say/reveal at SDCC '19!

26 minutes ago, SoberChef said:

First off, I NEED to see it a 2nd time, just do not know when. Absolutely floored, loved every second of it. Essentially I ugly cried while laughing hysterically for 3 hours and walked out emotionally drained and hollowed out at just how overwhelmingly awesome the whole thing was. A couple things that haven't been mentioned by others that I would love to throw into the mix:

Hide contents

1. No one else is upset about the fact we will never get to see Cap/Red Skull again? I mean just imagine that scene on Vormir when Steve walks up and there's Skull ... then again maybe Red Skull wasn't there, so who knows.

3. There HAS to be some way to begin to describe the other MCU Universe's then going forward right? Try as you may, try as you might, some fuckery happened in the alt time lines right? Perhaps this is the overarching story for the next saga?

4. Calling it now, Adam Warlock will be essentially the new OP character to replace Vision in the next few phases ... unless for some reason Thicc Thor kills him in GotG3.

Anxious to see continuing impressions and conversations. Also, can't wait to see what Marvel has to say/reveal at SDCC '19!

Spoiler

It totally bugs me that we never get to see Cap interact with what's become if Red Skull. It is true, though, that he might not even be there since there's no stone to watch over. That said, it does pretty much do away with the idea that returning the stone will bring back the sacrifice.

Yeah, if he escaped then he was never imprisoned. Who knows what happened there. That is, unless time in this universe is self-correcting and something happens or he's somehow caught elsewhere 

The time fuckery could raise the attention of the Eternals since that movie is on the radar. Just random ideas, but now that time travel is real, you could do something with Gorr coming in and trying to stay the tech to go on his god killing spree. If we ever get a fourth Thor movie, that would be a good place to go.

I guess that depends on what comes of Adam. You know he has to be there in the next Guardians movie, but we don't know who he's going to side with. Thor and Adam are now in the same movie world. I doubt that's a coincidence.

2 hours ago, SoberChef said:

Hide contents

The emotion didn't fully hit me until I woke up the next morning and started to smile, choke up, and shed a tear just thinking about the 

Spoiler

"I am Iron Man" line. What a perfect way to send off RDJ and Stark. Comes full circle to the first IM movie which kickstarted all of this and was when I fell in love with the MCU. 

• Like 3

Spoiler

I feel kind of hollow after watching it. It was great, and an absolute perfect send-off...but without Captain America I feel the spirit of the MCU is gone. I hope they can recapture his moral grounding in other characters. I like Falcon, but he's no Steve Rogers. 

Note to whomever makes the next Superman reboot - imitate how Marvel handled Steve Rogers. That's how you deal with a boyscout who does no wrong.

Overall I think Infinity War might be the better movie simply due to the weight, and unknown ending before you see it. But I can't see any movie in our lifetimes exceeding the two money shot moments of Steve picking up the hammer and then the Avengers Assemble. That was 10 years of buildup. The only way they could match it is if they do some incursion or secret wars buildup over the next 10 years and then manage to bring back young Cap again as a surprise.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, sblfilms said:

It’s always amusing when female characters take up residence in a space dominated by male characters, it’s “forced”.

Think for a minute why it feels that way, and then stop making that weak complaint anymore :p

The scene did feel a bit forced, but it would have to for that hero shot of all of them. The before mentioned women and girls cheering at it is exactly why it is in the movie, and why I think it is more than justified. 

We get Cap, Thor, Ironman, Black Panther, Spider-Man, Strange, etc all looking heroic, posing.  

It could have been done to feel more natural as they kind of relay helping her deliver the gauntlet, but then we miss the “Hero shot”. And the audience that is targeted to misses on that hero fantasy moment.  

12 hours ago, EternallDarkness said:

and now here's another question to ponder

Hide contents

How the flaming hell are they going to deal with things going forward....It was 2018 when Infinity War took place....Endgame is five years later.....so Far From Home is taking place in 2023??? And if that is the case how in the hell does the world look that normal in the previews? We saw what a shithole many places around the world had become after half the world disappeared....granted those shots of San Fran could have been from today :p but you saw how rundown areas were, are we supposed to think half the world instantly returning after being gone 5 years things are just going to somehow go back to normal? You'd have a ton of people who had moved on, remarried, started new families and then bang their old families return. The time travel angle really screws things going on from here unless they are somehow just going to ignore it. 

I guess it all depends on how long after End Game it takes place. Many places, especially those heavily reliant on tourism would clean things up real quick to get back to business. Also taking place in 2023 means we can have years of movies before we technically catch up to that time. So many of their movies could take place in the MCU timeline simultaneously without taking place “in the past”. Meaning we can get Spider-Man this year and Black Panther next year and both take place in 2023 without one having to take place in 2020 or 2019. 

if that makes sense.  

overall I really liked the movie. The Captain America thing at the end did seem to violate their own rules. Because they made it seem like you cannot change the past. He could not be there as an old man to meet Falcon because that would not be his future any more, and old Cap cannot be in their past. Unless there’s two Peggy’s because she had a family in that times present. It could only work if old man Steve traveled forward to his original time after Peggy died “years ago”. Without Cap traveling forward in time he should have just ceased to exist going forward in the “prime” time, because he chose to live in a branch time. 

This also means their time travel machine sends them back in time, but then pulls them from a branch timeline, like a “time and space” machine. But since they cannot change their past year it also muddles the plan to travel back to put the stones back. They cannot travel to a point after they originally arrived otherwise they won’t have removed the stone in that time, because they traveled to their past. Unless they can travel back to a branch past timeline. Essentially they are multiverse hopping. 

really this is a messier time travel explanation just to try to eliminate paradoxes. It would have been less messy to just write the script without paradox causing fuck ups. Or at least nothing they couldn’t resolve.  

One missed opportunity...

Spoiler

Black Widow's sacrifice would have resonated even MORE if they played up the whole "I have a lot of red in my ledger" statement she's said in the past. Nat has a lot of blood on her hands and her sacrificing herself to save not only Clint but ALL of the dustees makes so much sense for her arc that I'm surprised they didn't play that up more. I know fans like us get that, but I think a lot of people may have missed that and in that sense... it HAD to be her who sacrificed herself.

Also as someone stated, THIS Thanos did seem a lot more menacing and ruthless than the Thanos from Infinity War which worked but also lessened some of his Gravitas from the first movie. Again, I thought it was a good movie and one of the best conclusions for a long running series I've ever seen, but Infinity War was an overall better film I think. I also needed to see Infinity War more than once to really appreciate how good that film was and may need to do the same with this one.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Hide contents

.I also needed to see Infinity War more than once to really appreciate how good that film was and may need to do the same with this one.

most definitely. I've found that to be true of pretty much every one of the marvel movies, the more I watch them the more I find to like and appreciate them. I have zero doubt I'll enjoy Endgame more the second time around...unless another couple bringing their 2 yr old to the theater again :p 

5 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Spoiler

He already used that line against himself earlier so it would have been a bit much for him to do it say it again. Also that would have lessened the emotional impact of the scene of the two of them dancing with just the music for hims to say something cutsey like that to her... which would have had no meaning to her at all.

8 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Hide contents

Black Widow's sacrifice would have resonated even MORE if they played up the whole "I have a lot of red in my ledger" statement she's said in the past. Nat has a lot of blood on her hands and her sacrificing herself to save not only Clint but ALL of the dustees makes so much sense for her arc that I'm surprised they didn't play that up more. I know fans like us get that, but I think a lot of people may have missed that and in that sense... it HAD to be her who sacrificed herself.

Also as someone stated, THIS Thanos did seem a lot more menacing and ruthless than the Thanos from Infinity War which worked but also lessened some of his Gravitas from the first movie. Again, I thought it was a good movie and one of the best conclusions for a long running series I've ever seen, but Infinity War was an overall better film I think. I also needed to see Infinity War more than once to really appreciate how good that film was and may need to do the same with this one.

Spoiler

His demeanor in the movie was actually covered. Infinity War was Thanos on his way to victory. Endgame was Thanos knowing he will be victorious but these folks are trying to undo it.

One of my biggest complaints about the end of the movie and it's impact on the Universe is this...

Spoiler

After trying to recover and move on for 5 years, suddenly everyone in the world has their old family back. Many would have found new lovers, moved to different homes, taken new jobs, then suddenly have to fight with the person who has filled that position. The dusted would think it's still 2018 (remember this takes place in 2023) and probably freak out because the survivors of The Snap are all 5 years older. It would be a economic and cultural nightmare nearly as devastating as when everyone died originally. I hope they address this in future movies, but I feel like they will just pretend everything is fine.

I see this is almost exactly what @EternallDarkness said. I'm glad there are others bothered by this.

29 minutes ago, Kleon333 said:

One of my biggest complaints about the end of the movie and it's impact on the Universe is this...

Reveal hidden contents

I see this is almost exactly what @EternallDarkness said. I'm glad there are others bothered by this major plot hole.

Yeah that's not a plot hole... that's a "wait and see moving forward". There's a whole TV series that deals with this exact plot point (not a Marvel series) and that's not what Endgame is about. I suspect Homecoming will address this as Feige has said that he sees THAT movie as the end of this Phase of the Marvel Cinematic U.

11 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Yeah that's not a plot hole... that's a "wait and see moving forward". There's a whole TV series that deals with this exact plot point (not a Marvel series) and that's not what Endgame is about. I suspect Homecoming will address this as Feige has said that he sees THAT movie as the end of this Phase of the Marvel Cinematic U.

You are right, it's not a plot hole I used the wrong term to explain what I meant, it's just a big issue I hope is addressed.

44 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

Something I don’t see get much play ... 

Reveal hidden contents

Spoiler

Nanomachines. :P 

Confession I shed tears during Stark's death and his reunion with Spiderman.

Well, I like the movie.

Spoiler

Look, I don't get emotional at a lot of things. It takes specific type of shit to make me cry. Ironman did it. Literally hardest I have cried in years. Like the last time was like 2015 for a very similar reason. I was biting my cheeks and clenching my fists so no one could hear me. And then when I sat in the car I couldn't hold it in anymore and for like a good minute I was fucking blubbering. I mean, sure, you can say infinity was better, but this was a fantastic ending to a lot of things. I don't mind that there were some prime characters that were just background characters. This was an avengers movie, but it wasn't about the people who died, but the ones who lived. It made sense to me to not have the rezzed characters take up a lot of screen time. "I am Iron Man" was just great. See, like I was spoiled. I saw two things. Captain America dies, and Iron Man dies. But I didn't know how. Since there were two major deaths I didn't think they would be very emotional. But when Dr. Strange put up that finger and Captain America wasn't dead, I knew I was in for something I didn't expect. I had not clue about "I am Iron Man" but I knew he was going die. So, when that happened I could feel that lump in my throat attempting to jump out. If you think I am a pussy or pathetic or whatever, go fuck yourself, and get kicked in the nuts. I am a bitch with it comes to self-sacrifice. The scene for the soul stone almost got to me, but I have never been a Hawkeye or Black Widow fan. 

I suppose I have 2-3 very minor issues.

1. I doubt it isn't unexpected from me, but the literal girl power scene. It DID standout, almost comedically so. 

2. Gwyneth Paltrow going down in history as an Iron Woman sucks. Iron Woman was great. Gwyneth Paltrow being Iron Woman is not so great. 

3. Thanos taking forever to get dusted was lame. It was good in IW, but lame here. I would have preferred it to be basically instant. 

I am sure there are actual issues in the movie, but I can't even think of them. The Iron Man shit just stole the show and made any issue I could have had irrelevant. Like even the above issues. Like, lol who cares. Great ending to something that really isn't even over. Like, for me, this is the ending to the MCU for the most part. I don't have a strong desire to continue seeing these movies like I use to. I see all of them when they hit redbox, but I'll only go to the theaters for a select few.  GotG3 will be one for sure, Spiderman maybe as it is the end of the phase, but not sure about the rest.  

But man there is so much good shit

Spoiler

Fat Thor

Hammer Time Captain

Old Cap

New Cap

Dual Wield Thor 

Hail Hydra

Alive Loki

Tony and Howie

Tony and Child(future Iron Woman or will that be BP's sister?)

Iron Woman

I am Iron Man

and prolly some other shit I am forgetting

Spoiler

Thanos taking forever to get dusted was awesome. Just sitting there realizing that he failed. Instant would have been lame. I like being able to sit there while the character has their moment. 

If a mom gets a call and is told their kid died you should probably leave the camera on them to get their reaction unless there’s a good reason to cut away