'Star Trek': Michelle Yeoh-Led 'Discovery' Spinoff Details Revealed

Jason

CBS All Access has officially tapped Yeoh to captain a Star Trek series of her own: a black ops-themed spinoff of Discovery in which the actress will reprise her role and explore the next chapter in the life of Capt. Philippa Georgiou. The untitled drama will further explore Starfleet's Section 31 division, a shadow organization within the Federation featured on Star Trek: Discovery.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/star-trek-michelle-yeoh-led-discovery-spinoff-details-revealed-1175816

364.jpg

Michelle Yeoh is great, and I think a Section 31 series could be pretty cool, but given where Discovery left her character, I'm not nearly as interested in this show as I might otherwise be.

spoilers for Disco season 1

Spoiler

The Capt. Georgiou that currently exists is the mirror version. She was the Empress of the terran empire and more or less a well played stock villian. I think the mirror stuff in Disco worked pretty well, and actually felt like a much more natural part of the storyline than it does in most Treks, but that doesn't mean I'm particularly interested in seeing Mirror Georgiou lead a series.

I have to imagine that she'd get paired up with a new character, so much of the success of the show will depend on how that works out. I liked Disco well enough that I'd give this show a try.