Game of Thrones - Season 8 - Starting April 14th

TwinIon

11 hours ago, DarkStar189 said:

Watched the episode again. I REALLY wish we would have seen Greyworm's reaction to finding out his queen was dead. That whole part with the dragon taking her body away before anyone could even witness her dead doesn't fit well at all. Jon and Greyworm could have had a cool fight or something too. 

Before the episode aired I though we might get scenario where Arya assassinates Dany, and Jon protects Arya by taking the blame and facing retribution from Drogon. 

I’m not a big fan of Drogon melting the iron throne. Drogon is intelligent enough and wise enough to understand the symbolism of the Iron Throne. This makes me wonder why Drogon would have committed such senseless genocide by killing helpless civilians, including children. He understands his mother’s goal and role as a leader, but is ok being treated as just a beast and took for mass destruction to kill innocents? It doesn’t feel to line up. 

2 hours ago, fuckle85 said:

http://georgerrmartin.com/notablog/2019/05/20/an-ending/  

And me? I’m still here, and I’m still busy. As a producer, I’ve got five shows in development at HBO (some having nothing whatsoever to do with the world of Westeros), two at Hulu, one on the History Channel. I’m involved with a number of feature projects, some based upon my own stories and books, some on material created by others. There are these short films I am hoping to make, adaptations of classic stories by one of the most brilliant, quirky, and original writers our genre has ever produced. I’ve consulted on a video game out of Japan. And then there’s Meow Wolf…

last books are never getting finished with that many irons in the fire 

I honestly don't think Drogon was continuously destroying the throne.  I took it that he was obviously angry and heart broken at his mothers death.  He can't destroy Jon because he's a Targaryan so instead he just lets out his range near hear.  Kind of like all those scenes in movies where you think the good guy is gonna finish the bad guy but instead they punch/shoot next to the bad guy.  I'd link that scene from Hot Fuzz but i'm too lazy.  The destruction of the throne, while symbolic, was not intentional by Drogon.  I dunno, that's how I interpreted that scene.

4 minutes ago, Mercury33 said:

I honestly don't think Drogon was continuously destroying the throne.  I took it that he was obviously angry and heart broken at his mothers death.  He can't destroy Jon because he's a Targaryan so instead he just lets out his range near hear.  Kind of like all those scenes in movies where you think the good guy is gonna finish the bad guy but instead they punch/shoot next to the bad guy.  I'd link that scene from Hot Fuzz but i'm too lazy.  The destruction of the throne, while symbolic, was not intentional by Drogon.  I dunno, that's how I interpreted that scene.

As it was happening I thought he was gonna reveal hidden dragon eggs in the chair to show Jon, and Jon was gonna smuggle them out on the dragon with Dany's body, they would leave to presumably start a new kingdom and save the dragons. 

8 hours ago, TheGreatGamble said:

Nope. He can't affect things, he just knows where they are going (and where they've been).

Is it certain that Bran could see the future? Has that been established? I thought the line where he said "why do you think I came all this way" was just a cryptic joke. Have we ever seen any instances of him predicting the future?

1 minute ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Is it certain that Bran could see the future? Has that been established? I thought the line where he said "why do you think I came all this way" was just a cryptic joke. Have we ever seen any instances of him predicting the future?

I don't think he can see the future. I think he's more of a search engine. With a lot of data you can make some good guesses.

3 minutes ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

I don't think he can see the future. I think he's more of a search engine. With a lot of data you can make some good guesses.

That's pretty much how I looked at it. Like he can see what happened in the past and in some cases the present, but he has to know what he's looking for. Like he didn't know about Lyanna and Rhaegar getting married until Sam told him and he actively sought that moment in history out. As far as seeing what's happening in the Present, he seems to need something to Warg into, like a flock of Ravens, in order to witness events that are happening in real time. I don't get the sense that he is omnipotent.

44 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

That's pretty much how I looked at it. Like he can see what happened in the past and in some cases the present, but he has to know what he's looking for. Like he didn't know about Lyanna and Rhaegar getting married until Sam told him and he actively sought that moment in history out. As far as seeing what's happening in the Present, he seems to need something to Warg into, like a flock of Ravens, in order to witness events that are happening in real time. I don't get the sense that he is omnipotent.

Can he witness anything in the past? How far into the past does he need to be? Is ten seconds in the past enough? Also, didn't he walk around the Night King directly when he was marked?

That's a lot of questions.

1 hour ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I think he can use a heart tree to see any part of history, past, present or future. He has to choose where he’s going,, but he can see what he chooses.

3 minutes ago, TheGreatGamble said:

I think he can use a heart tree to see any part of history, past, present or future. He has to choose where he’s going,, but he can see what he chooses.

Again, when he has he been shown to see the future? I remember when he was talking to Sam he said he could see what has happened and what is happening now. I don't remember him ever saying he could see what WOULD happen. Jojen could see the future to a degree but only his own if I interpreted it correctly. The Red Woman could KINDA see the future but not clearly.

1 hour ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

He has at least two prophetic visions in the show. Ned dying, and the ironborn attacking winterfell. 

He got Jon to tell Sansa who he was, which started the mess at the end of the show. He had to know how that was going to turn out. 

20 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Again, when he has he been shown to see the future? I remember when he was talking to Sam he said he could see what has happened and what is happening now. I don't remember him ever saying he could see what WOULD happen. Jojen could see the future to a degree but only his own if I interpreted it correctly. The Red Woman could KINDA see the future but not clearly.

He had a vision of the destruction of Kings Landing in and earlier season when he was at a weirwoood tree. 

Yeah, Bran was a greenseer, so was Jojen, etc. People on the show in general and Bran specifically have visions of the future.

What isn’t really established is the extent to which this is changed when Bran becomes the Three Eyed Raven, the extent to which Bran is more or less likely to misinterpret those visions a la Melisandre. We just don’t know enough about his deal.

So what was up with the Lord of Light. Are they the legit God of this world, they raised the dead and performed various other miracles and may have directed everyone to be in just the right place at just the right time for the battle of Winterfell, after that no one seems to mention anything about them ever again. 

12 minutes ago, elbobo said:

So what was up with the Lord of Light. Are they the legit God of this world, they raised the dead and performed various other miracles and may have directed everyone to be in just the right place at just the right time for the battle of Winterfell, after that no one seems to mention anything about them ever again. 

Assuming, it's a real god, it's apparent this god doesn't care about politics. It intervened to protect men, as a species, for extinction and nothing more. There's no reason for the Lord of Light to pop up again once that existential threat is gone.

1 minute ago, Ghost_MH said:

Assuming, it's a real god, it's apparent this god doesn't care about politics. It intervened to protect men, as a species, for extinction and nothing more. There's no reason for the Lord of Light to pop up again once that existential threat is gone.

You would kind of think though if legit miracles were happening and witnessed by tons of people that would kind of have some impact on society. If the Christian God unquestionably made their presence known in our world today that would kind of still be talked about the day afterward. 

There has been talk of old gods and new gods throughout the series but we do not get any evidence they are anything but myths and superstition. With the LoL there really can't be any question that they exist.

4 hours ago, elbobo said:

You would kind of think though if legit miracles were happening and witnessed by tons of people that would kind of have some impact on society. If the Christian God unquestionably made their presence known in our world today that would kind of still be talked about the day afterward. 

There has been talk of old gods and new gods throughout the series but we do not get any evidence they are anything but myths and superstition. With the LoL there really can't be any question that they exist.

To play devil's advocate here... religious people IRL feel exactly that way about things that happen all the time. If I saw someone apparently bring someone back to life or cast spells, I think I'm skeptical enough to not just head straight to church, correlation != causation, and all that. I know it's a bit different when there's people lighting swords on fire with their blood out on these streets, but I think the point stands in general.

That said I would certainly have welcomed some in show discussion to that effect.

21 hours ago, elbobo said:

I don't know if I agree with that. What we've seen is various people able to use magic with lots of different attributions. Berric and Melisandre use magic that they credit to the Lord of Light. The faceless men use magic they credit to the many faced god. Bran uses magic that is pretty attributable to the old gods (in so far as the weirwood trees represent a connection to the old gods), and I think the same could be said for the Children of the Forest and therefore the Night King and his army. The old lady that cursed Dany used magic she credited to the great shepherd. Qyburn and Dany both use magic, though neither is really attributed as far as I can remember.

So we've seen a lot of people unequivocally use magic, and they've all credited various sources. The lord of light stuff is maybe more obvious because its usage happens when people are directly praying to it, but I don't think that makes it any more real than the great shepherd.

Personally, I'm fine with that ambiguity. This is a world where magic exists, and various beliefs have popped up justifying that magic. Letting the "true source" of that magic seem relatively unknowable makes sense.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, TwinIon said:

Personally, I'm fine with that ambiguity. This is a world where magic exists, and various beliefs have popped up justifying that magic. Letting the "true source" of that magic seem relatively unknowable makes sense.

Yep, this is where I would land. It would mean that people are clearly capable of things I don't understand. That doesn't mean that how they're capable of it is the reason they claim, even if they honestly believe the claims they make.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, TwinIon said:

I don't know if I agree with that. What we've seen is various people able to use magic with lots of different attributions. Berric and Melisandre use magic that they credit to the Lord of Light. The faceless men use magic they credit to the many faced god. Bran uses magic that is pretty attributable to the old gods (in so far as the weirwood trees represent a connection to the old gods), and I think the same could be said for the Children of the Forest and therefore the Night King and his army. The old lady that cursed Dany used magic she credited to the great shepherd. Qyburn and Dany both use magic, though neither is really attributed as far as I can remember.

So we've seen a lot of people unequivocally use magic, and they've all credited various sources. The lord of light stuff is maybe more obvious because its usage happens when people are directly praying to it, but I don't think that makes it any more real than the great shepherd.

No, we need to know who the Knights of Ren are, and where did Snoke come from?!?

I normally just go with Netflix, Hulu, and Prime as my TV choices nowadays. 

I got a month worth of Vue because having TNT, ESPN, and NBATV this time of year means you basically get all the NBA playoff games. With a week long trial at the beginning, getting just one month basically covered the whole playoffs.

I was on vacation from work during that month, so I finally decided to binge GoT, which I had never seen before. Used the free trial and was able to binge up until 8x3, then had to watch show by show with the rest of you. But interestingly enough, the HBO sub when you get it through Vue is prorated through your Vue billing date. I cancelled yesterday and got to watch all of GoT for about 4.50 :D