Game of Thrones - Season 8 - Starting April 14th

TwinIon

With the Night King dead is winter still coming? Season 7 ended with the first snowflakes falling in Kings Landing and several months at least have passed since then but it seems warmer down there now. Were the long winters and summers caused by outside forces or are they just how they are on that planet. 

5 minutes ago, elbobo said:

With the Night King dead is winter still coming? Season 7 ended with the first snowflakes falling in Kings Landing and several months at least have passed since then but it seems warmer down there now. Were the long winters and summers caused by outside forces or are they just how they are on that planet. 

Winter has already arrived. Of course it's colder in the North than in the South. They've had Winters without The White Walkers for centuries.

The season is definitely suffering from sprinting to the finish, and I do with these past two seasons had been regular 10 episode seasons, or even have a season nine (like the battle against the Night King should have been split into two episodes so it didn't seem like he went down like a bitch), but I have confidence that next week's finale will end well, especially when Martin has told them how it is going to end. 

2 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Winter has already arrived. Of course it's colder in the North than in the South. They've had Winters without The White Walkers for centuries.

TBF, weren’t the White Walkers alive and just in hiding in “The Lands of Always Winter”? It seems to be the beginnings of spring since TNK died.

5 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

TBF, weren’t the White Walkers alive and just in hiding in “The Lands of Always Winter”? It seems to be the beginnings of spring since TNK died.

Thats true, but they still had Winters south of the wall... I think it had been nearly 20 years since the last one.

1 minute ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Thats true, but they still had Winters south of the wall... I think it had been nearly 20 years since the last one.

That's what I'm saying, though - TNK/TWW may have been the cause of the winters, even though they were super far north of The Wall. This was predicted to be the "longest winter in centuries" and may have been due to how close/the proximity of TNK/TWW compared to how far away they were previously.

12 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

the south was colder at the end of last season than it is now though

2 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

That's what I'm saying, though - TNK/TWW may have been the cause of the winters, even though they were super far north of The Wall. This was predicted to be the "longest winter in centuries" and may have been due to how close/the proximity of TNK/TWW compared to how far away they were previously.

Maybe.

1 minute ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

I get dragon fire is powerful but I didn't know that it was equivalent to a giant invisible hammer! Burn anything? Sure, why not! Knock down stone walls several feet thick as if they were Styrofoam? Surprising! 

Super heated air expands ?

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, SimpleG said:

Martin himself the weather wasnt scientific in nature and revealing why it happen would be a huge spoiler for the series so it wouldnt surprise me if the TWW were the cause of it.

I'll be kinda shocked if The Others in the books have the same origins as The White Walkers in the show. The book ones seem to almost have a society and a language, plus females. The Night's King in the book may have even married a female White Walker (unknown if she was or wasn't).

*This isn't discounting/discrediting anything you said, I'm just merely stating this :p 

4 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

I get dragon fire is powerful but I didn't know that it was equivalent to a giant invisible hammer! Burn anything? Sure, why not! Knock down stone walls several feet thick as if they were Styrofoam? Surprising! 

yeah they went from it melts stone in showing the ruins of Harrenhal to it is straight up bombs

Something that did the show no favours was the fact that the events of the last two seasons seem to have gone by quickly (due to seemingly-instant teleportation of characters) when in fact years would have gone by. So everything feels rushed due to the fewer episodes per unit of time compared to earlier seasons. Because of this there is less character development shown and things can seem jarring. 

I don't know what the solution would be, however. Clearly the writing on the show has been much weaker since they ran out of book material, but they did really need at least a handful more of episodes to allow some development and slow burn.

5 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

I'll be kinda shocked if The Others in the books have the same origins as The White Walkers in the show. The book ones seem to almost have a society and a language, plus females. The Night's King in the book may have even married a female White Walker (unknown if she was or wasn't).

*This isn't discounting/discrediting anything you said, I'm just merely stating this :p 

I thought it was confirmed she was a white walker or at least very heavy implied she was.

woman was his downfall; a woman glimpsed from atop the Wall, with skin as white as the moon and eyes like blue stars. Fearing nothing, he chased her and caught her and loved her, though her skin was cold as ice, and when he gave his seed to her he gave his soul as well. He brought her back to the Nightfort and proclaimed her a queen and himself her king, and with strange sorceries he bound his Sworn Brothers to his will.[2]

—Bran Stark recalling Old Nan's stories

9 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

You could see the explosions from the wild fire Cersi stored across the city, I assume thats what causing it.

7-courtesy-of-hbo-1557715500.jpg?crop=0.

26 minutes ago, SimpleG said:

I thought it was confirmed she was a white walker or at least very heavy implied she was.

woman was his downfall; a woman glimpsed from atop the Wall, with skin as white as the moon and eyes like blue stars. Fearing nothing, he chased her and caught her and loved her, though her skin was cold as ice, and when he gave his seed to her he gave his soul as well. He brought her back to the Nightfort and proclaimed her a queen and himself her king, and with strange sorceries he bound his Sworn Brothers to his will.[2]

—Bran Stark recalling Old Nan's stories

Heavily implied but not confirmed (like, all but confirmed type of confirmation :p ) 

21 minutes ago, SimpleG said:

You could see the explosions from the wild fire Cersi stored across the city, I assume thats what causing it.

7-courtesy-of-hbo-1557715500.jpg?crop=0.

You could see the stones ripping up out of the castle walls as his fire hit the walls holding the scorpions.

1 minute ago, Firewithin said:

nah i want new characters introduced next week!!!!!!

Young Griff swoops in and takes the throne in the name of House Blackfyre

12 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

That part I got, and more or less accepted, but this...

11 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

You could see the stones ripping up out of the castle walls as his fire hit the walls holding the scorpions.

Fine fine fine its MAGIC DRAGONS BREATH!!!!!!

Are you 2 happy now?

• Haha 1

New questions:

What would be the best possible outcome you would like to see for the ending next week?

What outcome would absolutely ruin the ending for you?

@SFLUFAN already perfectly predicted the Battle of Winterfell, so whatever he posts is what's actually going to happen. 

1 minute ago, Kal-El814 said:

I am completely and non ironically opposed to a Blazing Saddles / Monty Python and The Holy Grail ending. 

It would be amazing if a fight breaks out in the land formerly known as King's Landing and spills over into the orchestra pit.