Game of Thrones - Season 8 - Starting April 14th

TwinIon

18 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

He didn't kill the mad king to "save innocents"... he killed the Mad King to save his father because the mad king he JUST told him to bring him his father's head. Jaimie has CONSISTENTLY stated he didn't give a fuck about innocent people. His only concerns were his family really and Cersei was number one in that.

I agree that's a primary motivation of his, but his actions have shown him doing noble things despite it as well.  Risking his life to save Brienne from the bear when he was missing a hand and couldn't fight well, some of the lives he spared, and fighting for Winterfell are genuinely honorable things to credit him with.  I didn't know that was why he killed the mad king. But he showed some complex feelings about it while in the spa with Brienne, not to mention the look of horror on his face after realizing what Cersei did with the wildfire in season 6.  He had his moments of selflessness, remorse and compassion for other human beings, even though I don't doubt he cared about Cersei more than anything.

How did Cersei deserve to die? She wasn't alone--but cowering, scared, and regretting every decision she's ever made... the fact that that's not enough for some of you is kind of gross tbh.

Fantastic episode. My wife's cousin's something-or-other distant relation named her daughter Khaleesi. Lovin' it.

The shots at the end with Arya in the aftermath are some of the most beautiful visuals this show has ever done.

3 minutes ago, fuckle85 said:

I agree that's a primary motivation of his, but his actions have shown him doing noble things as well.  Risking his life to save Brienne from the bear when he was missing a hand and couldn't even fight well, some of the lives he spared, and fighting for Winterfell are some genuinely honorable things to credit him with.  I didn't know that was why he killed the mad king. But he showed some complex feelings about it while in the spa with Brienne, not to mention the look of horror on his face after realizing what Cersei did with the wildfire in season 6.  He's shown moments of remorse and compassion for other human beings, even though I don't doubt he cared about Cersei more than anything.

Jamie was tried to do good things some times but Cersei was ALWAYS his weakness. Olean Tyrell TOLD him she would be the ruin of him. Tyrion pointed out that he always followed her despite knowing who and what she was. Did he have some honor? Yes... he was a Knight after all and admired Ser Barristan and Arthur Dayne who were both VERY honorable. But he was also raised to believe that he was better than everyone else and he was FUCKING HIS SISTER. He also pushed a 10 year old boy out of a window to hide the fact that he was FUCKING HIS SISTER. Yeah he has some honor but going back to Cersei when he knew she was doomed? Yeah that definitely tracks and is consistent with his character. 

21 minutes ago, fuckle85 said:

Nah it was a fitting end tbh.  He lost the plot when he raped Cersei (I mean fuck Cersei, but rape is rape) and definitely reached a new low when he sacked The Riverlands and killed Olenna Tyrell.  Incest, he pushed an innocent boy out of a window and crippled him, conspired against Winterfell and bares some responsible for the death of Ned Stark, murdered a person for no reason, committed rape, killed people in the Riverlands including the true bad bitch queen of the whole series, and probably a few other things I'm forgetting.  He had his moments, but he was not a good person lol.  Going back to Cersei was fitting enough, and the real character assassination moment imo was the scene in tonights episode of him admitting to not caring about anyone - not even the innocent lives he saved by slaying the king.  It's an attempt to contextualize him as someone who only ever did any honorable things because of his loyalty to Cersei and makes absolutely no sense and is contradicted several times throughout the show, even in this very season. 

I mean, I hardly feel bad about the rape of Cersei Lanister. She lived her whold life taking everything she could from others. It was a bit of justice when that agency was taken away from her. In real life, I would never condone rape. But in a weird fantasy worlds where the woman raped has caused countless horrors and crimes against innocents, I have zero pity for her. The only thing I truly think badly of Jamie for is Bran. Incest was obviously somewhat excepted in Westeros. He saved his brother. He saved Brienne. He just chose to die with Cersei. 

As for Olenna, I loved her, but Jamie killing her doesn't really make him that bad. Olenna was no saint. 

49 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Jamie was tried to do good things some times but Cersei was ALWAYS his weakness. Olean Tyrell TOLD him she would be the ruin of him. Tyrion pointed out that he always followed her despite knowing who and what she was. Did he have some honor? Yes... he was a Knight after all and admired Ser Barristan and Arthur Dayne who were both VERY honorable. But he was also raised to believe that he was better than everyone else and he was FUCKING HIS SISTER. He also pushed a 10 year old boy out of a window to hide the fact that he was FUCKING HIS SISTER. Yeah he has some honor but going back to Cersei when he knew she was doomed? Yeah that definitely tracks and is consistent with his character. 

lmao, exactly.  However my point is that his being a sisterfucker (when he wasn't raping her), being sympathetic to his evil family and complicit in their war crimes, crippling a young boy (attempted murder, really), and other counts of murder/killing make him an gross and unheroic person, but his commitment to being with Cersei had absolutely nothing to do with some of his honorable moments like risking his like to save Brienne's  and defending Winterfell.  So now we are back to my original point about him ultimately  being a unsympathetic character, despite some sympathetic actions throughout his character arc.  Jamie in a nutshell. 

3 hours ago, TheGreatGamble said:

I mean, I hardly feel bad about the rape of Cersei Lanister. She lived her whold life taking everything she could from others. It was a bit of justice when that agency was taken away from her. In real life, I would never condone rape. But in a weird fantasy worlds where the woman raped has caused countless horrors and crimes against innocents, I have zero pity for her. The only thing I truly think badly of Jamie for is Bran. Incest was obviously somewhat excepted in Westeros. He saved his brother. He saved Brienne. He just chose to die with Cersei. 

As for Olenna, I loved her, but Jamie killing her doesn't really make him that bad. Olenna was no saint. 

Oh I never shed any tears for that icebitch either, but I still think rape is still fucking shocking and wrong.

Olenna was fun and smart and probably would have been a decent queen.  And she killed Joffrey, which makes her one of the heroes of the entire story. Call me crazy, but I think it might say something about Jamie's character that he had his moments of honor up to that point but still decided to kill her.

Also, Drogon coming out of the darkness before torching Varys was one hell of a scary visual. Daenerys did warn him that if he ever went behind her back she'd do that. Wish she would sat him down and asked him to win this war without killing innocents because she too cares for the realm, but she has indeed become the Mad Queen. I was hoping she wouldn't. 

My predictions now is that Jon will kill her, but not take the Throne, and instead he will be the one to introduce democracy to Westeros, just like how The Night's Watch picked their Lord Commanders. 

At least we know that the ending is all RR Martin, and (hopefully) it won't feel so rushed and uninspired like what the show writers have done with every other character for these last episodes... Hopefully seeing "The Lord of All Horses" show up for Arya at the end is gonna be the last lame thing we get in this series, lol

32 minutes ago, Brick said:

Also, Drogon coming out of the darkness before torching Varys was one hell of a scary visual. Daenerys did warn him that if he ever went behind her back she'd do that. Wish she would sat him down and asked him to win this war without killing innocents because she too cares for the realm, but she has indeed become the Mad Queen. I was hoping she wouldn't. 

My predictions now is that Jon will kill her, but not take the Throne, and instead he will be the one to introduce democracy to Westeros, just like how The Night's Watch picked their Lord Commanders. 

The throne got to Dany's ass and is pretty much the source of all the evil in Westeros.  I read on this board a prediction like what you're saying that the iron throne gets destroyed and a more democratic form of rule will be instated. That'll probably happen and also I think Dany and Jon will die next episode and Tyrion along with possibly Sansa, Bran and Samwell will start up a new counsil to replace the old one.  

6 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Why would a rowboat need wind?  

EDIT: Rewatched that scene... Tyrion said they would "Sail out of the bay and reach Pentos..." or something to that extent. Clearly he meant they would use the rowboat to get to a larger, sail boat..

From where?  Even if we assume that Tyrion's plan implies that they pick up a bigger, better boat later, it still requires Jamie and Cersei the row out of the bay then past the iron fleet in broad daylight.  

Also it's not a matter of Jamie figuring out how to use a rowboat, it's that a rowboat requires to working hands.  If you can't grip one oar because you don't have a hand, you're going to be useless.  

6 hours ago, Brick said:

Holy fucking shit Daenerys! I don't get how some of you guys could be disappointed by this episode. This series is not going to have a happy ending. Did you think it would? 

5 hours ago, Brick said:

For real. I thought this episode was fantastic. From the short, emotional exchange between Tyrrion and Varys to the way Drogon comes out of the dark when she states "Mother of Dragons". I actually had to rewind that part to see it again. It was frightening. FF to when the Golden Army is squaring off and they hear that rumbling behind them. I still didnt expect it to be the dragon and when it busted through the wall, that was  a holy shit moment. 

Dani leveled the entire fucking city. The Red Keep is gone. Is there even an Iron Throne anymore? She truly is the Mad Queen and has become the worst Targaryen. All these seasons of building her up to be a champion of the people and she killed tens of thousands of people in a absolute fit of rage. I thought this was amazing...and I didnt expect her to go even remotely that far. 

I felt Cersei and Jaimies demise was fitting, although I was hoping it would be more brutal as well. Cersei died petrified, alone and buried by the one thing she wanted most in this world, and Jaimie went out like the little bitch hes always been, coddling his sister. 

I loved everything about this episode. I had wondered how they could top The Nights Watch battle and then definitely did. This went in a direction I wasnt expecting. Cant wait for the finale. 

18 minutes ago, PaladinSolo said:

The season is rushed and poorly written, and man is that plot armor thick.

It’s a little rushed but it’s not poorly written. And other than Arya surviving the city whose still alive simply because “plot armor”

12 minutes ago, Mercury33 said:

And some people don’t actually know what good/bad writing is vs writing to their expectations 🤷🏻‍♂️

:lol:   Someone ring the bell.... five minutes later, WHY WON'T ANYONE RING THE BELLL!!!!!!!

You picked the wong side!  

Then I'll sail the fleet elsewhere!

*Three episodes later*

Might as well fight this guy to the death on this unknown beach cause YOLO!

• Confused 1

what was everyone's expectations? I cant believe anyone would be upset about that turn of events. 

To her: She was betrayed by Tyrrion. She was betrayed and rejected by Jon Snow. She was Betrayed by Varys. Two of her dragons were killed. Sir Jorah was killed. And Cersei gave her a big fuck you with beheading Missandei. She stated she feels alone in Westeros, she has no one. She stated that the people of Westeros loved Jon Snow and not her. When she found out that everyone knows who Jon is, she realizes shes never going to be accepted as the true Queen of the Iron Throne. She snapped. 

8 hours ago, Mercury33 said:

What is there not to buy? In one instance a LESSER dragon was ambushed. Didn’t even see the bolts coming. Then literally minutes later you see the superior remaining dragon literally dodge an entire wave of bolts. So where exactly is the inconsistency that the same dragon was adept at dodging the bolts one episode later?

Also was anyone else on the edge of their seat when Jamie met Cersai? I kept waiting for him to smirk and Arya to pull his face off and stab her. In hindsight I realize there’s no way they would have given Jamie an off screen death but i was all in on that being Arya in the moment lol. 

I loved Jamie and Cersais end to their arcs. They talked about how strong their love was all show long. This just reinforced it. And as awful as Cersai was, she did have several moments throughout the show where you sympathized for her. I found it fitting that they sort of were able to end on one. It’s adds a lot to her character and gives thought to her motivations throughout the show.  And yeah it’s not the death I think we were all hoping for. But to die with Jamie, buried by the Red Keep, it’s so poetic that I instantly got over her not getting a savage death. We’ve had plenty of those over the years anyway. 

That goes back to my original problem which is you cannot hide a fleet behind a rock from that high up. The ambush was implausible from a logistical standpoint and from the standpoint of of Dany and what were supposed to be the smartest people in the land forgetting about the Iron Fleet.  The superior dragon could have just destroyed the whole iron fleet the previous episode, but it was heavily implied that there were too many bolts and Dany had to back off.  This is just a nitpick. I understand you can make the argument that Dany could have gone down and killed the iron fleet but she got scared or fill in whatever rationalization you wish. The bottom line is I saw in the previous episode bolts that killed one dragon and were very close to killing the other in a manner of seconds completely fail to hit a dragon with at least double the amount of weapons and bolts spread out.