Kentucky Sen. Rand Paul is going to Canada for hernia surgery

Paul, a Republican, often argues for private market solutions to American's health care woes.

In Canada, medical care is publicly funded and universally provided through the country's Provincial Ministry of Health, and everyone receives the same level of care. 

Paul has called universal health care and nationalized options "slavery."

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2019/01/14/rand-paul-neighbor-attack-canada-surgery/2569965002/

1 minute ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

It's a rare Private hospital grandfathered into their program

understood, im just wondering what the means exactly. 

if its private, to me that means they do not have to accept the national health care and are a for-profit hospital. 

16 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

so only Ontario residents can go I guess...or you can pay cash. Seems like a reasonable middle-ground for socialized medicine. they probably offer perks like upgraded rooms, TV for extra $$ too. 

didnt Rand Paul equate Canada's health care system to slavery? lol...fucking idiot. 

13 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

99% of the Ron Paul curriculum is GOP ball fondling, nobody should be surprised. 

Yeah, Rand Paul... I mean, I'll admit as crappy as 2010's elections were, I thought, "Hey, worse Senators could be picked in Kentucky."

That's probably still the case, but he's not the guy who shakes things up in the Senate. He's just a guy.

Even if you try to rescue this from the territory of rank hypocrisy because it is partially and technically a private hospital it is still worth mentioning......isn't all that socialized medicine they have up there supposed to lead to rationing of care, long wait times, and just generally relegating Canadian healthcare to the mean in terms of quality?

In that horrible wasteland of mediocre healthcare, how is it that this facility has sprung up that should fill the needs of such a devout capitalist consumer that he can find no better alternative in the free market paradise of America to go to?Surely in the vain of free market capitalism Rand Paul has adroitly shopped around for all options, and this was the absolute best he could find in all of North America.

If a consumer speaks with his dollar(not to mention a patient with his well being), then I believe Rand Paul has just told us what he thinks of American vs. Canadian healthcare.

1 minute ago, Chairslinger said:

In that horrible wasteland of mediocre healthcare, how is it that this facility has sprung up that should fill the needs of such a devout capitalist consumer that he can find no better alternative in the free market paradise of America to go to?

Because the facility predates socialized medicine and was grandfathered in. 

• 2 weeks later...
14 hours ago, Jason said:

You know, I don't know if we bring it up enough, but the US court system is really fucked up. How does an attack (even attempted murder) result in a 1/2 million award? 

I know I harp about how Canada is better than the US in many areas...but I'm going to do it again. Here, lawsuits are much less common as the winner is almost always awarded legal costs, to be paid by the loser. So if you sue someone and lose, you pay their fees (and they pay yours if you win). This results in far less frivolous suits. In addition, you typically cannot be awarded punitive damages here, only compensation for actual torts. So if I beat you up and you miss a few days of work, you can sue me for any lost income (if you didn't have sick leave, etc) as well as medical costs not covered by the government. But you can't sue for emotional trauma or anything like that. You have to be able to prove the losses.