CD Projekt Red: Cyberpunk 2077’s Open World Won’t Have ‘Procedural’ Elements

SaysWho?

https://gamerant.com/cyberpunk-2077-open-world-no-procedural-elements/

This much was declared during a recent interview, in which CD Projekt Red’s lead cinematic animator, Maciej Pietras, was asked how large players should expect Cyberpunk 2077‘s open world of Night City to be, leading the developer to explain that measuring such metrics is “difficult” due to the vertical nature of the map. During Pietras’ explanation, though, he revealed that nothing in the world has been generated procedurally, stating that everything has been “done by hand” through “manual creation” instead. Per a transcription of the interview done through Google Translate:

“To compare [Cyberpunk 2077] to The Witcher 3, let’s say that the world of the latter was very vast in its length. It was an open world made of very large natural landscapes. Going from point A to point B took a lot of time, because you were riding, but also because it was a game that stretched horizontally. The world of Cyberpunk 2077 is above all a vertical world, with buildings everywhere, and in this, it is difficult for us to establish a metric comparison. [. . .] The game will allow you to enter many buildings, knowing that everything was done by hand, because we believe that quality comes first through manual creation, nothing is procedural in our world. It is in this that the city of Night City will be vast to go, thanks to this verticality.”

Based on what has been shown of Cyberpunk 2077 thus far, the fact that CD Projekt Red has decided to eschew the use of any kind of procedural generation elements akin to those found in the worlds and creatures of No Man’s Sky or the weapons of Borderlands may strike some as being rather impressive. After all, the developer confirmed that each floor of the game’s buildings can house myriad activities, and depending on what those may be, the fact that they were all created manually is quite the meticulous feat to say the least.

All I know is this game will own me the second it drops, I absolutely can't wait for it. I think as said above a more compact world sounds good to me as well, as there was so much in Witcher 3 that I didn't feel I was doing the world of that game justice even with a ton of hours. Either way, absolutely stoked for Cyberpunk