More coal-fired power plants have closed under Trump than in Obama's first term

https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/07/politics/pennsylvania-coal-plants-weir-wxc/index.html

190106234847-trump-digs-coal-super-169.j

As fracked natural gas and renewables like wind and solar undercut the price of coal, both Mitchell and the nearby Hatfield's Ferry power plants were deactivated on the same day in 2013.

Many in this corner of coal country blamed Obama-era regulations on their demise, so when a candidate named Donald Trump promised to end a so-called "war on coal," they were ready to believe.

"We are putting our great coal miners back to work," he repeated to rally crowds waving "Trump Digs Coal" signs. "I'm coal's last shot."

For 52 years, Sullivan worked in mines around the world and, like many in western Pennsylvania, he remembers Hillary Clinton's 2016 Ohio town hall where she said, "We're going to put a lot of coal miners and coal companies out of business."

In her book "What Happened," Clinton devoted an entire chapter to the gaffe, which eclipsed her early campaign promise to provide a $30 billion aid package to struggling coal communities.

Sullivan had his own thoughts. "What you need to say to coal miners is 'We're going to figure out a way to give you better, safer, healthier jobs.' These guys and the few gals are simply too good. They are too capable to simply say that we don't need you," he said.

"I think there's enough resilience in the (Earth's) system that we can withstand one four-year term of Donald Trump," says Penn State climatologist Michael Mann. "I'm not sure we can withstand two."

"We got off whale oil because something better came along. That was fossil fuels," he says. "Now something better has come along and that's renewable energy and there's nothing that can stop that transition."

This story gets me for two reasons:

1) Like a good business conman, he hyped these people up and lied.

2) But that'll better for us long-term than coal returning.

Coal country needs to become renewable country. Hell, anywhere in the nation should. And many places are pursuing and encouraging that strategy.

• Guillotine 1

1 hour ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

That Sullivan is a fucking idiot. Democrats tell them that and they vote republican. So now they get no coal jobs and nothing to replace them. 

Fuck em. 

I think he was referring specifically to Hillary on that, but if he wasn't... then yeah, you kind of get what you vote for.